Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Single Computer & Multiple Cameras

Single Computer & Multiple Cameras

Big H

I have a computer that is shared, I have an Olympus camera which has
been working fine. Another person has a Kodak Easyshare camera, which
since the software was loaded works fine. However, my Olympus no
longer connects. Removing the software for both and then reinstalling
the Olympus software, once again my camera works.

Has anyone had any experiences of using two different cameras on a
single computer and whether this should be possible.

Thanks, AJ

PLB49

I use a Kodak DC210+ and a Canon Digital Rebel on the same computer (talk about
opposites!) Both drivers show in "My Computer" and both in PhotoShop Elements
import menu.

Best solution might be to get a memory card reader--dunno card types involved,
but I've seen, I think, 6-in-1 readers that should cover most types!

Paul B.

Ed Ruf

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 21:28:36 +0000, in rec.photo.digital Big H
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Has anyone had any experiences of using two different cameras on a
>single computer and whether this should be possible.

Save your time and trouble and buy a card reader that supports both types
of media.
http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

Bill

In trying to actually answer your question as popsted, I have a Fuji S602Z
and a friend has a Tosihba PRDM81, and they both work fine. The drivers for
each were installed and there has never been a problem. I'm running
WindowsME and whichever one is pugged into the USB port shows up as
"Removeable disk E:"

Bill

"Big H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a computer that is shared, I have an Olympus camera which has
> been working fine. Another person has a Kodak Easyshare camera, which
> since the software was loaded works fine. However, my Olympus no
> longer connects. Removing the software for both and then reinstalling
> the Olympus software, once again my camera works.
>
> Has anyone had any experiences of using two different cameras on a
> single computer and whether this should be possible.
>
> Thanks, AJ

High Sierra

Big H wrote:
> I have a computer that is shared, I have an Olympus camera which has
> been working fine. Another person has a Kodak Easyshare camera, which
> since the software was loaded works fine. However, my Olympus no
> longer connects. Removing the software for both and then reinstalling
> the Olympus software, once again my camera works.
>
> Has anyone had any experiences of using two different cameras on a
> single computer and whether this should be possible.
>
> Thanks, AJ

What operating system is on the PC?

Roger Halstead

On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 21:28:36 +0000, Big H <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have a computer that is shared, I have an Olympus camera which has
>been working fine. Another person has a Kodak Easyshare camera, which
>since the software was loaded works fine. However, my Olympus no
>longer connects. Removing the software for both and then reinstalling
>the Olympus software, once again my camera works.
>
>Has anyone had any experiences of using two different cameras on a
>single computer and whether this should be possible.

Depends on the operating system.

With XP, don't install the software that came with the camera unless
it's downloading RAW.

XP just treats the camera as if it were another drive.
Although I run multiples here. I just don't start the software if I
don't want to use it. (or use another USB port)

Best bet is as some one else already suggested. Get a good card
reader.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

>Thanks, AJ

MB

Using XP now, I have a Canon 400 (ZoomBrowser EX sw) and an Olympus 3030
(Camedia Master 2.0). These were previously on my old computer, with Win
98, too, and I've had no problems. The connections are/were USB, and the
cables are always attached to the PC. The computer is on when I connect a
camera, but no software other than the OS running.

Bruce Watson

I have a Canon 10D and G2 both working on my XP machine with no issues.

"Roger Halstead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 21:28:36 +0000, Big H <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >I have a computer that is shared, I have an Olympus camera which has
> >been working fine. Another person has a Kodak Easyshare camera, which
> >since the software was loaded works fine. However, my Olympus no
> >longer connects. Removing the software for both and then reinstalling
> >the Olympus software, once again my camera works.
> >
> >Has anyone had any experiences of using two different cameras on a
> >single computer and whether this should be possible.

> Depends on the operating system.
>
> With XP, don't install the software that came with the camera unless
> it's downloading RAW.
>
> XP just treats the camera as if it were another drive.
> Although I run multiples here. I just don't start the software if I
> don't want to use it. (or use another USB port)
>
> Best bet is as some one else already suggested. Get a good card
> reader.
>
> Roger Halstead (K8RI & ARRL life member)
> (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
> www.rogerhalstead.com
> >
> >Thanks, AJ

Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD

I bought one of those USB replicator hub things and hooked it a Win98SE
machine. I have a Olympus C700 cable going out of it, a Palm T2 cable, a
Minolta XT cable, and a Nextel phone cable. They all work fine, but I only
have one item hooked up at a time. I have not tried it with two cameras
active at the same time or the other things. The computer is only a 475MHz
and is slow already--but it works fine for what I need it for and has a big
hard drive that suits me. No problems on installing any of the software
either.

--
Rudy Marcelletti, K8SWD

stan@temple.edu

Big H <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a computer that is shared, I have an Olympus camera which has
> been working fine. Another person has a Kodak Easyshare camera, which
> since the software was loaded works fine. However, my Olympus no
> longer connects. Removing the software for both and then reinstalling
> the Olympus software, once again my camera works.

> Has anyone had any experiences of using two different cameras on a
> single computer and whether this should be possible.

You didn't say which operating system your computer uses. If its
Mac OS X or Windows 2000/XP, you could easily set up an account
for you and a separate account for the other person and each configure
your individual account to use the photo software you prefer.