Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Unsharp mask settings

Unsharp mask settings

Onepercentf

I would be interested to hear what settings you all use for unsharp mask in
photoshop. Personally I use 175%, radius 0.6 and threshold 3 for the majority
of shots. My camera is a Canon 10D, and all in-camera parameters are set to
normal. regards, David

Mick Ruthven

Everyone seems to have different preferences. For web and e-mail sizes, I
use the a radius of 0.3 and as much percent as I can get by with without
halos. For full-size images for printing, a larger radius more like you
mentioned.

"Onepercentf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would be interested to hear what settings you all use for unsharp mask

in
> photoshop. Personally I use 175%, radius 0.6 and threshold 3 for the

majority
> of shots. My camera is a Canon 10D, and all in-camera parameters are set

> normal. regards, David

Jim Waggener

"Onepercentf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would be interested to hear what settings you all use for unsharp mask

in
> photoshop. Personally I use 175%, radius 0.6 and threshold 3 for the

majority
> of shots. My camera is a Canon 10D, and all in-camera parameters are set

> normal. regards, David

Slippery slope Dave.
Depends on how you exposed the photo in the first place. Do you really need
to sharpen?
This totally depends on your vision of the scene. No right answer.

Simon Stanmore

"Onepercentf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would be interested to hear what settings you all use for unsharp mask

in
> photoshop. Personally I use 175%, radius 0.6 and threshold 3 for the

majority
> of shots. My camera is a Canon 10D, and all in-camera parameters are set

> normal. regards, David

USM settings really need to be varied to suit your capture and output (&
taste). If you're making inkjet prints of around A4 to A3 size from your 10D
captures then you could try this (turn the in-camera sharpening 'off')...
http://www.lindev.org/10D-sharpening/ . It's free, has had thousands of
downloads, and has lots of very happy users. For Web-sized JPEG's try a
duplicate layer set to luminosity blending over the original with a USM
setting of 500 / 0.3 / 0, and the dup.layers opacity set to around 20-35%

Simon

stan@temple.edu

Onepercentf <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I would be interested to hear what settings you all use for unsharp mask in
> photoshop. Personally I use 175%, radius 0.6 and threshold 3 for the majority
> of shots. My camera is a Canon 10D, and all in-camera parameters are set to
> normal. regards, David

My camera is a EOS 300D and I try to avoid the use of sharpening in Photoshop
as much as possible. Its a matter of personal preference and the type of
photography you do, not to mention the lens you use. I think unsharp mask
gives an artificial kind of quality to the landscapes I shoot.

Alan F Cross

In message <Xp0Lb.8055$(E-Mail Removed)> , Mick
Ruthven <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Everyone seems to have different preferences. For web and e-mail sizes, I
>use the a radius of 0.3 and as much percent as I can get by with without
>halos. For full-size images for printing, a larger radius more like you
>mentioned.
>
>"Onepercentf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I would be interested to hear what settings you all use for unsharp mask

>in
>> photoshop. Personally I use 175%, radius 0.6 and threshold 3 for the

>majority
>> of shots. My camera is a Canon 10D, and all in-camera parameters are set

>> normal. regards, David

For web use, around 150% at 0.5, large prints 1.0. Threshold depends on
image noise, but usually in the low single figures.

An interesting contrast enhancement can be achieved with a setting of
about 20% with a radius of 70 - 80. Anyone else tried this? It seems to
have no effect on some images, yet others are dramatically improved, at
least to my eye.
--
Alan F Cross

Tony Whitaker

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Onepercentf) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):
> I would be interested to hear what settings you all use for
> unsharp mask in photoshop. Personally I use 175%, radius 0.6 and
> threshold 3 for the majority of shots. My camera is a Canon 10D,
> and all in-camera parameters are set to normal. regards, David

I've always wondered why the command is called "unsharp mask". What
the hell does that mean? It sounds like the opposite of what it does
- it SHARPENS the image.

The only logical explanation I came up with is that "unsharp mask"
means you are applying a mask that corrects an unsharp image.

But it really isn't a mask, is it? Isn't a mask a separate layer
that alters the appearance of the underlying image without
permanently changing it?

Please explain to me the logical meaning of the term "unsharp mask".

Jim Waggener

"> I've always wondered why the command is called "unsharp mask". What
> the hell does that mean? It sounds like the opposite of what it does
> - it SHARPENS the image.
>
> The only logical explanation I came up with is that "unsharp mask"
> means you are applying a mask that corrects an unsharp image.
>
> But it really isn't a mask, is it? Isn't a mask a separate layer
> that alters the appearance of the underlying image without
> permanently changing it?
>
> Please explain to me the logical meaning of the term "unsharp mask".

There is no logic. Selecting "sharpen" from the same menu gives no result
that I can see.
I think it is a Yogi-ism ...

IK

In article <Xns9469BEB723FF5lettonyin@207.69.154.203>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> (E-Mail Removed) (Onepercentf) wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
> > I would be interested to hear what settings you all use for
> > unsharp mask in photoshop. Personally I use 175%, radius 0.6 and
> > threshold 3 for the majority of shots. My camera is a Canon 10D,
> > and all in-camera parameters are set to normal. regards, David

> I've always wondered why the command is called "unsharp mask". What
> the hell does that mean? It sounds like the opposite of what it does
> - it SHARPENS the image.
>
> The only logical explanation I came up with is that "unsharp mask"
> means you are applying a mask that corrects an unsharp image.
>
> But it really isn't a mask, is it? Isn't a mask a separate layer
> that alters the appearance of the underlying image without
> permanently changing it?
>
> Please explain to me the logical meaning of the term "unsharp mask".

Its name comes from a traditional darkroom procedure. Sharpening was done
by adding an unsharp positive copy of the negative as a mask under the
enlarger. Effectively you are sharpening the image by masking the
unsharpness.

Flycaster

"Onepercentf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would be interested to hear what settings you all use for unsharp mask

in
> photoshop. Personally I use 175%, radius 0.6 and threshold 3 for the

majority
> of shots. My camera is a Canon 10D, and all in-camera parameters are set

> normal. regards, David

Personally, I'm all over the map, not only in amount but also in technique;
it just depends on the image, the output device, and the output size.

BTW, if you are shooting JPEG's in your 10D, you do realize that "normal"
already includes default sharpening, yes?