Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Exiff-jpeg and jpeg

Exiff-jpeg and jpeg

certsnsearches

Would someone explain the differ between Exiff-Jpeg and regular jpeg?
I get the option to save in either format in my software Camedia 4.10
and thus far have been choosing just jpeg.

Brian

Trev

"certsnsearches" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bthlvk$g33$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Would someone explain the differ between Exiff-Jpeg and regular jpeg?
> I get the option to save in either format in my software Camedia 4.10
> and thus far have been choosing just jpeg.
>
> Brian

Most digital cameras add Exif information on make model size of image
flash on of apt shutter speed colour of you shirt Ect. Oh and a
thumbnail. Not all image editing software can save this and not all
Camera Manufactures can get it right either. But it does add to the size
of a .jpeg so if your mailing them or placing on the web not saving it
can allow half the compression for the same file size. A better looking
Image

Jim Townsend

certsnsearches wrote:

> Would someone explain the differ between Exiff-Jpeg and regular jpeg?
> I get the option to save in either format in my software Camedia 4.10
> and thus far have been choosing just jpeg.
>
> Brian

EXIF is an acronym for EXchangeable Image File.

It was developed by the Japan Electronics and Information
Technology Industries Association.

Essentially, EXIF allows you to embed data.. Time, date, exposure info,
comments and other information into an image file. The camera industry
picked up on this.. There are many parameters that now get written to the
file when a picture is taken.

This info is read by EXIF aware software.. If imaging software isn't
EXIF aware, then this data is simply ignored. (In other words, EXIF is
backwards compatible). There is no detrimental effect of having the
information there.

Whether you choose EXIF or Non EXIF, It shouldn't make any difference to
the way the image looks. The non EXIF file will contain no data and might
be slightly smaller.

It is nice to have the camera parameters and the time the image was recorded
available.. Some day in the future, you may want to know this..