Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > a technical question on USB

a technical question on USB

TomerF

Hey,

I'm not an expert, but I'm looking for some information, so I guess
this is the place to go...

Anyway, I was thinking if anyone here knows if all digital cameras
talk to the computer in the same way (assuming they all use USB
connection). What I mean is can I have a kind if general standalone
driver that will "talk" to any camera trying to talk to it? I know
there are some camera models that use tiff instead of jpeg, but
assuming the driver can read all images format known to man, does the
USB connection mean that eventually all teh cameras say "hello!" and
"here, have the pictures stored on my disk!" in the same language to
the computer.

Thanks allot!!!!
Bye,
Tomer Fink

stan@temple.edu

TomerF <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anyway, I was thinking if anyone here knows if all digital cameras
> talk to the computer in the same way (assuming they all use USB
> connection). What I mean is can I have a kind if general standalone
> driver that will "talk" to any camera trying to talk to it? I know
> there are some camera models that use tiff instead of jpeg, but
> assuming the driver can read all images format known to man, does the
> USB connection mean that eventually all teh cameras say "hello!" and
> "here, have the pictures stored on my disk!" in the same language to
> the computer.

No more so than printers. The best option is to get a card reader.
That way, you never have to worry about how your computer and camera
communicate and you do not have to worry about wasting battery power
on the camera when downloading images.

Michael Meissner

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (TomerF) writes:

> Hey,
>
> I'm not an expert, but I'm looking for some information, so I guess
> this is the place to go...
>

> Anyway, I was thinking if anyone here knows if all digital cameras
> talk to the computer in the same way (assuming they all use USB
> connection). What I mean is can I have a kind if general standalone
> driver that will "talk" to any camera trying to talk to it? I know
> there are some camera models that use tiff instead of jpeg, but
> assuming the driver can read all images format known to man, does the
> USB connection mean that eventually all teh cameras say "hello!" and
> "here, have the pictures stored on my disk!" in the same language to
> the computer.

This is essentially what the pict bridge support (originally from Canon) going
into the latest cameras and printers is doing. Unfortunately, it doesn't help
older cameras (unless the camera's firmware is field upgradable, and the
manufacturer decides to release a new version of the firmware like Canon did).

Some cameras act as remote USB disk drives, and the OS just uses the normal
disk driver. Some cameras use PTP as a transfer protocol. Some cameras use
their own protocol. Some can switch between using different protocols.

It might be easier to modify Linux to do what you want (assuming you obey the
GPL and other licenses), since it already has USB mass storage support, and the
gphoto2 utility knows about various forms of PTP.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)