Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > compactflash types

compactflash types

kjk

Hi Folks,

Can somebody tell me the difference between CompactFlash Type 1 and
CompactFlash Type 2? Thanks.

Ken

Peter

The thickness....type 2 is thicker. IBM Microdrives are type 2.
If your camera takes type2 then it will also take type 1 but not the other
way around.

"kjk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Folks,
>
> Can somebody tell me the difference between CompactFlash Type 1 and
> CompactFlash Type 2? Thanks.
>
> Ken

kjk

Is there some reason why I would prefer one type over the other?

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 14:40:36 GMT, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The thickness....type 2 is thicker. IBM Microdrives are type 2.
>If your camera takes type2 then it will also take type 1 but not the other
>way around.

>"kjk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> Can somebody tell me the difference between CompactFlash Type 1 and
>> CompactFlash Type 2? Thanks.
>>
>> Ken

Jim Townsend

kjk wrote:

> Is there some reason why I would prefer one type over the other?

In the beginning, the thicker type II cards were designed to hold
more memory. Cards of 256 Mb and higher usually came in type II
packages.

Technology has advanced and just about all CF cards that are under
1 Gigabyte are type I. It's the most common size and you should
get by just fine with a camera that only takes type I CF.

However..

Microdrives are a bit cheaper per megabyte than solid state flash cards.
(At one time they were a lot cheaper). Having a type II CF slot will
allow you to use one.

Also, the current large capacity CF cards (2 Gigabyte and higher) come in
a type II package. Note.. these are formatted as FAT32 and you need
a camera that can recognize that type of file system. This is new, most
Cameras on the market today can't.

Peter

Well, you don't have a choice because it is what the camera can take.
Unless you specifically look for a camera that will or won't hold cetain
type, you should be fine with either one.

"kjk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Is there some reason why I would prefer one type over the other?

> On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 14:40:36 GMT, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >The thickness....type 2 is thicker. IBM Microdrives are type 2.
> >If your camera takes type2 then it will also take type 1 but not the

other
> >way around.

> >"kjk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >> Hi Folks,
> >>
> >> Can somebody tell me the difference between CompactFlash Type 1 and
> >> CompactFlash Type 2? Thanks.
> >>
> >> Ken

Ed Ruf

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 17:31:11 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Peter"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Well, you don't have a choice because it is what the camera can take.
>Unless you specifically look for a camera that will or won't hold cetain
>type, you should be fine with either one.

Not completely true. If the camera only supports CF1, that's it.
However if it supports CF2, that actually means CF1 and CF2.
CF1 is a subset of CF2, as I understand it.

http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

kjk

Peter,

I'm considering buying a Canon G5, which takes both, and I'm planning
to buy a 256M CF card for it. I don't know if 256M comes in both Type
1 and Type 2, but if it does, I was wondering what the difference
would be, so I could decide which one to get. Thanks.

Ken

On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 17:31:11 GMT, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Well, you don't have a choice because it is what the camera can take.
>Unless you specifically look for a camera that will or won't hold cetain
>type, you should be fine with either one.

>"kjk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> Is there some reason why I would prefer one type over the other?

>> On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 14:40:36 GMT, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >The thickness....type 2 is thicker. IBM Microdrives are type 2.
>> >If your camera takes type2 then it will also take type 1 but not the
>> >other way around.

>> >"kjk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

David J Taylor

"kjk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Peter,
>
> I'm considering buying a Canon G5, which takes both, and I'm planning
> to buy a 256M CF card for it. I don't know if 256M comes in both Type
> 1 and Type 2, but if it does, I was wondering what the difference
> would be, so I could decide which one to get. Thanks.
>
> Ken

It sounds as if the type 2 256MB card will be an older model, and
therefore likely to be slower and have a greater power consumption. Go
for the type 1.

David

Peter

Unless you are looking for something over 1 GB, I would always stick to type
1 because they are more versatile. 256MB, for sure type 1.

"kjk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Peter,
>
> I'm considering buying a Canon G5, which takes both, and I'm planning
> to buy a 256M CF card for it. I don't know if 256M comes in both Type
> 1 and Type 2, but if it does, I was wondering what the difference
> would be, so I could decide which one to get. Thanks.
>
> Ken

> On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 17:31:11 GMT, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Well, you don't have a choice because it is what the camera can take.
> >Unless you specifically look for a camera that will or won't hold cetain
> >type, you should be fine with either one.

> >"kjk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> >>
> >> Is there some reason why I would prefer one type over the other?

Holly Wood

Difference = 1Type

Regards

H.