Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Off-brand ink for printing diital photos - Canon i960

Off-brand ink for printing diital photos - Canon i960

Bob Hayden

I recently bought a Canon i960 and have been very impressed so far. While I
like the photo quality, speed, quietness and ease of use as well as the 6
separate ink tanks, I am NOT impressed with paying $12 for each cartridge. I
am planning on printing a lot of photos for primarily personal use so ink
cost will be an issue.

What advice can people give about using off-brand ink cartridges and/or
refill kits? Are there any reference sites, rating/reviews of vendors, etc?
I am concerned about the quality of the photos but even more so by the
potential harm done to my new printer.

Any and all advice is appreicated.

Bob in RSM, CA

Bill Hilton

>From: "Bob Hayden" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>What advice can people give about using off-brand ink cartridges and/or
>refill kits? Are there any reference sites, rating/reviews of vendors, etc?

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,111767,00.asp titled "Cheap Ink
Probed"

John H

On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 23:10:06 GMT, "Bob Hayden" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I recently bought a Canon i960 and have been very impressed so far. While I
>like the photo quality, speed, quietness and ease of use as well as the 6
>separate ink tanks, I am NOT impressed with paying $12 for each cartridge. I
>am planning on printing a lot of photos for primarily personal use so ink
>cost will be an issue.
>
>What advice can people give about using off-brand ink cartridges and/or
>refill kits? Are there any reference sites, rating/reviews of vendors, etc?
>I am concerned about the quality of the photos but even more so by the
>potential harm done to my new printer.
>
>Any and all advice is appreicated.
>
>Bob in RSM, CA

Bob, if you haven't done so, check out 'comp.periphs.printers'. There
is a lot of info there about ink refills, etc.

John H

On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

Bob Hayden

John,
THanks...I just posted the message tehre and will browse the other posts.
Bob
"John H" <jherring$$@$$cox**.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 05 Jan 2004 23:10:06 GMT, "Bob Hayden" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >I recently bought a Canon i960 and have been very impressed so far. While

> >like the photo quality, speed, quietness and ease of use as well as the 6
> >separate ink tanks, I am NOT impressed with paying $12 for each

cartridge. I
> >am planning on printing a lot of photos for primarily personal use so ink
> >cost will be an issue.
> >
> >What advice can people give about using off-brand ink cartridges and/or
> >refill kits? Are there any reference sites, rating/reviews of vendors,

etc?
> >I am concerned about the quality of the photos but even more so by the
> >potential harm done to my new printer.
> >
> >Any and all advice is appreicated.
> >
> >Bob in RSM, CA
> >

> Bob, if you haven't done so, check out 'comp.periphs.printers'. There
> is a lot of info there about ink refills, etc.
>
> John H
>
> On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
> on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

Joseph Meehan

There are some good third party inks available, but most of not all
suffer in some way compared to the original inks. You will be able to see
most possible problems for yourself. The one you will find difficult to
test is archival quality.

Remember that paper, ink and the printer all work together. With third
party inks you may find a different paper works better and you may need to
tweak some setting to get the best possible results.

It is well known that the ink is where they make their money and the
manufacturers all have worked hard to make it difficult for you to use other
inks.

It is possible, but I don't believe likely, that other inks may cause
damage or increased problems with your printer.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Bob Hayden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:i9mKb.53537$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I recently bought a Canon i960 and have been very impressed so far. While

> like the photo quality, speed, quietness and ease of use as well as the 6
> separate ink tanks, I am NOT impressed with paying $12 for each cartridge.

> am planning on printing a lot of photos for primarily personal use so ink
> cost will be an issue.
>
> What advice can people give about using off-brand ink cartridges and/or
> refill kits? Are there any reference sites, rating/reviews of vendors,

etc?
> I am concerned about the quality of the photos but even more so by the
> potential harm done to my new printer.
>
> Any and all advice is appreicated.
>
> Bob in RSM, CA

Mark Herring

wrote:

>I recently bought a Canon i960 and have been very impressed so far. While I
>like the photo quality, speed, quietness and ease of use as well as the 6
>separate ink tanks, I am NOT impressed with paying $12 for each cartridge. I
>am planning on printing a lot of photos for primarily personal use so ink
>cost will be an issue.
>
>What advice can people give about using off-brand ink cartridges and/or
>refill kits? Are there any reference sites, rating/reviews of vendors, etc?
>I am concerned about the quality of the photos but even more so by the
>potential harm done to my new printer.
>
>Any and all advice is appreicated.
>
>Bob in RSM, CA

See my answer to this in comp.periphs.printers-------there are lots of
options

Hint: post to both groups together--not separately
**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Buster

wrote:

>I recently bought a Canon i960 and have been very impressed so far. While I
>like the photo quality, speed, quietness and ease of use as well as the 6
>separate ink tanks, I am NOT impressed with paying $12 for each cartridge. I
>am planning on printing a lot of photos for primarily personal use so ink
>cost will be an issue.
>
>What advice can people give about using off-brand ink cartridges and/or
>refill kits? Are there any reference sites, rating/reviews of vendors, etc?
>I am concerned about the quality of the photos but even more so by the
>potential harm done to my new printer.
>
>Any and all advice is appreicated.
>
>Bob in RSM, CA

Keep watch on this site for ink testing & research:
http://www.wilhelm-research.com/