Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > NASA Mars Panos: Glaring Stitching Errors!!??!!

NASA Mars Panos: Glaring Stitching Errors!!??!!

brian

When will NASA get wind of Panorama Tools so they can do things
right?? http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...a/PIA04991.jpg

Also, the world's most expensive panoramic camera doesn't appear to
have the ability to keep the entrance pupil of the lens fixed while
making pitch and yaw rotations. Groan.

Brian
www.caldwellphotographic.com

Mark Herring

On 5 Jan 2004 12:05:28 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (brian) wrote:

>When will NASA get wind of Panorama Tools so they can do things
>right?? http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...a/PIA04991.jpg
>
>Also, the world's most expensive panoramic camera doesn't appear to
>have the ability to keep the entrance pupil of the lens fixed while
>making pitch and yaw rotations. Groan.
>
>Brian
>www.caldwellphotographic.com

These cameras are not intended to produce hi-quality panos. When
panos are made, it is all downstream in the processing---you'll see
better ones as the mission progresses.

BTW, the constraint often qouted --ie rotate around the front nodal
point (pupil)---is only im,portant if there is a large distance range.
I do panos in Panotools / PT assembler---it corrects all errors and I
just shoot naturally. (Good SW makes lazy photographer?)
**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Annika1980

>From: (E-Mail Removed) (brian)

>When will NASA get wind of Panorama Tools so they can do things
>right??
>http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...a/PIA04991.jpg

Maybe they just used the software that came with the Rover?

DJ

On 05 Jan 2004 21:22:44 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Annika1980) wrote:

>>From: (E-Mail Removed) (brian)

>>When will NASA get wind of Panorama Tools so they can do things
>>right??
>>http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...a/PIA04991.jpg

>Maybe they just used the software that came with the Rover?

LOL!

Ron Hunter

brian wrote:

> When will NASA get wind of Panorama Tools so they can do things
> right?? http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...a/PIA04991.jpg
>
> Also, the world's most expensive panoramic camera doesn't appear to
> have the ability to keep the entrance pupil of the lens fixed while
> making pitch and yaw rotations. Groan.
>
> Brian
> www.caldwellphotographic.com

The camera used really isn't the one intended for general use, just a
'spotting scope', as it were. expect better pictures later.

Tumbleweed

"DJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 05 Jan 2004 21:22:44 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Annika1980) wrote:
>
> >>From: (E-Mail Removed) (brian)

> >>When will NASA get wind of Panorama Tools so they can do things
> >>right??

>>http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...a/PIA04991.jpg
> >
> >Maybe they just used the software that came with the Rover?

> LOL!

And they'd better hurry up, I understand it expires after 30 days unless
they pay for the full version.

--
Tumbleweed

newsgroups)

DJ

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 22:04:46 -0000, "Tumbleweed"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"DJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

>>>http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...a/PIA04991.jpg
>> >
>> >Maybe they just used the software that came with the Rover?

>> LOL!

>And they'd better hurry up, I understand it expires after 30 days unless
>they pay for the full version.

Then after 6 months it will start running intolerably slowly and requiring
frequent re-boots, at which stage NASA will have to upgrade to Rover 05.

Annika1980

>From: "Tumbleweed" (E-Mail Removed)

>> >Maybe they just used the software that came with the Rover?

>> LOL!

>And they'd better hurry up, I understand it expires after 30 days unless
>they pay for the full version.

And if it's Adobe, ET will have to phone home to activate the software.

Nik Simpson

DJ wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004 22:04:46 -0000, "Tumbleweed"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "DJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> LOL!

>> And they'd better hurry up, I understand it expires after 30 days
>> unless they pay for the full version.

> Then after 6 months it will start running intolerably slowly and
> requiring frequent re-boots, at which stage NASA will have to upgrade
> to Rover 05.

Not as silly as it sounds, according to the Nova program about it today,
they did a software upgrade to the Rover while it was on the way to Mars!

--
Nik Simpson

brian

Mark Herring <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> On 5 Jan 2004 12:05:28 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (brian) wrote:
>
> >When will NASA get wind of Panorama Tools so they can do things
> >right?? http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...a/PIA04991.jpg
> >
> >Also, the world's most expensive panoramic camera doesn't appear to
> >have the ability to keep the entrance pupil of the lens fixed while
> >making pitch and yaw rotations. Groan.
> >
> >Brian
> >www.caldwellphotographic.com

> These cameras are not intended to produce hi-quality panos. When
> panos are made, it is all downstream in the processing---you'll see
> better ones as the mission progresses.
>
> BTW, the constraint often qouted --ie rotate around the front nodal
> point (pupil)---is only im,portant if there is a large distance range.
> I do panos in Panotools / PT assembler---it corrects all errors and I
> just shoot naturally. (Good SW makes lazy photographer?)
> **************************
> Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
> Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Its the entrance pupil, not the nodal point. Try a stop shift
experiment if you don't believe it. Sure, if everything in the image
is far away then keeping the entrance pupil stationary isn't
important. But this does not appear to be the case for the Mars
rover, and its rarely the case for interesting photography on earth.
I realize that stereo photography is incompatible with keeping the
pupil stationary, but I would have designed the system so that at
least one of the cameras could take a flawless high resolution
stitched panorama.

Brian
www.caldwellphotographic.com

javac -encoding problem and/or glaring bug ? java Java 6 08-19-2007 11:22 AM
IEEE/NASA Adap. HW Conf in Istanbul hugurdag@yahoo.com VHDL 1 01-11-2006 12:08 PM
NASA, Mars and Flash Whitecrest HTML 2 01-13-2004 03:41 PM
Digicam on Mars -- Spirit Mars Rover takeone Digital Photography 1 01-06-2004 09:22 PM
Java3d Fly Through ( Source code available - free ) Nasa uses Java3d& VRML, Nasa's Fastscipt3d Crashes & Burns P. Flavin Java 0 10-17-2003 01:14 PM

Advertisments