Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Which sigma lens?

Which sigma lens?

Whitey

Going to be using it with an Eos 10D & I was wondering which would be the
better lens to go for between the following 2 ?

Sigma 17-35mm f2.8/4 ASP.EX CANON AF or the Sigma 20-40mm f/2.8 EX
ASPHERICAL DG DF (CANON AF)

Many thanks in advance of reply.

Tony Spadaro

I woulddn't get either but would get a Canon, Tokina, or Tamron instead.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"Whitey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bt7rcu$93j$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Going to be using it with an Eos 10D & I was wondering which would be the
> better lens to go for between the following 2 ?
>
> Sigma 17-35mm f2.8/4 ASP.EX CANON AF or the Sigma 20-40mm f/2.8 EX
> ASPHERICAL DG DF (CANON AF)
>
> Many thanks in advance of reply.

George Preddy

"Whitey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bt7rcu$93j$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Going to be using it with an Eos 10D & I was wondering which would be the
> better lens to go for between the following 2 ?
>
> Sigma 17-35mm f2.8/4 ASP.EX CANON AF or the Sigma 20-40mm f/2.8 EX
> ASPHERICAL DG DF (CANON AF)
>
> Many thanks in advance of reply.

How about neither?

The 17-35 EX is older and not up to Sigma's current standards, it is a good
lens it is not a great lens. It is being replaced by a new 17-35 as we
speak, but those aren't due to hit US shores for a few months. The 20-40 EX
is an excellent lens, but a misfit at 20-40mm which fits nowhere.

I would go with the 15-30 EX, it is the best lens in its class, more than
worth the extra $150. Don't worry about the f3.5 half stop compared to the
17-35, the 15-30 is very bright for it's aperture ratio and at 15mm you'll
rarely need f2.8 anyway. It's also a DG, which means the rays are more
parallel when exiting the rear element to enhance brightness with digital
sensors. Fantastic lens. Then pick up a 28-70/2.8 EX if you are feeling
cheap or a 24-70/2.8 EX if you want to blow another $50. Both perform very
similarly on film but only the 24-70 is a DG.

At that point you'll have very near the best 15-70mm money can buy at a real
bargain price, so you can't complain about the small price increase over
your previous plan.

If you decide to get cheap and buy the 28-70 EX, realize you'll pay double
the difference to the filter man when you discover you now need a 77mm and
an 82mm set. The 15-30 literature says it can only take a rear gel filter,
but the front cap is threaded for 82mm and it'll work like a champ with a
cropping DSLR, just not full frame.

George Preddy

"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bt8e00$6ql$(E-Mail Removed)...
> It's also a DG, which means the rays are more
> parallel when exiting the rear element to enhance brightness with digital
> sensors.

I did a side by with the 24-70 EX DG and 24-70 non-EX non-DG, the EX DG was
just about exactly a half stop brighter as measured in SPP at the same
aperture. This is important when comparing f-stops to cheaply built, less
transmissive lenses which are not designed for digital like Canon non-L,
Tokina, Tamron, etc.

Randall Ainsworth

> Going to be using it with an Eos 10D & I was wondering which would be the
> better lens to go for between the following 2 ?
>
> Sigma 17-35mm f2.8/4 ASP.EX CANON AF or the Sigma 20-40mm f/2.8 EX
> ASPHERICAL DG DF (CANON AF)

Uh...choice C - none of the above.

George Kerby

On 1/3/04 7:48 PM, in article bt7rcu$93j$(E-Mail Removed), "Whitey"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Going to be using it with an Eos 10D & I was wondering which would be the
> better lens to go for between the following 2 ?
>
> Sigma 17-35mm f2.8/4 ASP.EX CANON AF or the Sigma 20-40mm f/2.8 EX
> ASPHERICAL DG DF (CANON AF)
>
> Many thanks in advance of reply.

Stay with the OEM lens. Sigma = smegma. Its lenses are worse than looking
thru the bottom of a coke bottle. The company has a HISTORY of producing
JUNK! Ergo the foveon sensor. Buyer Beware!!!

jriegle

I have used Sigma lenses in the past and I was very pleased at the
performance of all of them. I would not recommend them now because of the
compatibility issues. While a new Sigma may work fine with your 10D, it may
not work on your next digital body. You may be forced to send the lens in to
be rechipped and loss of use for a few weeks (if they even will support the
lens).

I wanted to buy a used Tokina 300 or 400mm for my digital Rebel and KEH told
be I would have to send them in to get them "rechipped" For the cost of the
lens plus the rechipping, I can buy the Canon 300mm f/4 L used which offered
slightly better performance.

I don't know about Tamron's compatibility issues. It seem a safe bet to go
Canon.

John

"Whitey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bt7rcu$93j$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Going to be using it with an Eos 10D & I was wondering which would be the
> better lens to go for between the following 2 ?
>
> Sigma 17-35mm f2.8/4 ASP.EX CANON AF or the Sigma 20-40mm f/2.8 EX
> ASPHERICAL DG DF (CANON AF)
>
> Many thanks in advance of reply.

Mark B.

"Whitey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bt7rcu$93j$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Going to be using it with an Eos 10D & I was wondering which would be the
> better lens to go for between the following 2 ?
>
> Sigma 17-35mm f2.8/4 ASP.EX CANON AF or the Sigma 20-40mm f/2.8 EX
> ASPHERICAL DG DF (CANON AF)
>
> Many thanks in advance of reply.

The 15-30 EX consistently gets good user reviews at dpreview.com. Might
want to ask on the Canon SLR forum there, and ignore the Sigma nay-sayers
here. There are a few turkeys in the Sigma lineup, but that doesn't make
them all bad.

Mark

Paolo Pizzi

Whitey wrote:

> Going to be using it with an Eos 10D & I was wondering which would be
> the better lens to go for between the following 2 ?
>
> Sigma 17-35mm f2.8/4 ASP.EX CANON AF or the Sigma 20-40mm f/2.8 EX
> ASPHERICAL DG DF (CANON AF)
>
> Many thanks in advance of reply.

The Sigma 15-30EX is MUCH better and only costs an extra $100
(compared to the 17-35, which is NOT EX glass, as far as I remember.)

Paolo Pizzi

Mark B. wrote:

> The 15-30 EX consistently gets good user reviews at dpreview.com.
> Might want to ask on the Canon SLR forum there, and ignore the Sigma
> nay-sayers here. There are a few turkeys in the Sigma lineup, but
> that doesn't make them all bad.

Sigma's EX glass is pretty good but no match for the best from
Nikon/Canon. The 15-30 is a nice lens (I have one), but Nikkor
wide-angle glass is much better.