Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > DSC-P10 Strange sound coming from camera when in movie mode

DSC-P10 Strange sound coming from camera when in movie mode

A Cameron

My DSC-P10 makes a strange sound when in move mode, but only when in
an autofocus mode. When in a fixed focus mode there is no noise. The
sound is quiet but is picked up on movies with little background
sound. Does anybody else's camera make this sound? Put yours into
movie mode and put the camera body to your ear....

Karen Marshall

Could be a similar thing to what the Minolta Z1 suffers from.
You're probably listening to the auto focus motor switching or the motor
noise itself. On the Z1, everytime the lens focuses, there is a click on the
soundtrack sort of like a computer keypress.
Personally it doesn't bother me... if I wanted a movie, as such, then I'd
use a movie camera, rather than expect my still cam to do as good a job.
It's "horses-for-courses" after all.

-craig. http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

"A Cameron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> My DSC-P10 makes a strange sound when in move mode, but only when in
> an autofocus mode. When in a fixed focus mode there is no noise. The
> sound is quiet but is picked up on movies with little background
> sound. Does anybody else's camera make this sound? Put yours into
> movie mode and put the camera body to your ear....

Donald Link

I find that still cameras trying to use the movie mode and movie cameras
trying to use the still mode are a far cry from using a still camera and
movie camera exclusively. I understand the economics but you have to be
willing to put up with quirks when using one camera for both. Probably the
noise is caused from the extended time needed to write to the memory stick.
I am just glad that the price of good still cameras and video cameras are
dropping so fast. I have the DSC-P10 and a Sony DV Tr33 video camera. The
worst video I have seen is trying to take video with the DV camera set to
Video on the memory stick. There should be no reason for doing this.
However, I find that the still pictures taken with the video memory stick
come out much better than one could expect.

"A Cameron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> My DSC-P10 makes a strange sound when in move mode, but only when in
> an autofocus mode. When in a fixed focus mode there is no noise. The
> sound is quiet but is picked up on movies with little background
> sound. Does anybody else's camera make this sound? Put yours into
> movie mode and put the camera body to your ear....

Jochen Fuchs

Alistair,

made the same observation with a recently (Jan03) bought DSC-P10. If
you watch closely you will recognize that the noise only happens when
you move the camera, i.e. if the image is altered in any way. IMHO the
camera uses another memory bus system speed when in movie mode which
-during data transfer- somehow interferes with the speaker, which in
turn then can be heard on the mic as well. To avoid this, turning of
the AF or producing higher background noice volume were the only
patches I found.

Besides this, a great camera and -as mentioned by the others- the
movie option is a great add-on.

Best regards,
Jochen