Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Rechargable batteries for digital flash?

Rechargable batteries for digital flash?

Wessy1

We have recently started using new Nikon D-100's at work and I love this new
camera. However, I have found that the SB-80DX flash goes through regular
alkaline batteries fast. I was thinking about trying NiMH batteries with the
flash. Has anyone tried rechargable batteries with digital flashes? If so,
was their lifetime longer than non-rechargable batteries?

Thanks,

Barry

Robert Barr

Wessy1 wrote:
I was thinking about trying NiMH batteries with the
> flash.

It's the only way to fly.

Charlie Self

wessy1 asks:

>We have recently started using new Nikon D-100's at work and I love this new
>camera. However, I have found that the SB-80DX flash goes through regular
>alkaline batteries fast. I was thinking about trying NiMH batteries with the
>flash. Has anyone tried rechargable batteries with digital flashes? If so,
>was their lifetime longer than non-rechargable batteries?

Any other way doesn't make sense.

Charlie Self
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
it to. " Dorothy Parker

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Mark B.

"Wessy1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have recently started using new Nikon D-100's at work and I love this

new
> camera. However, I have found that the SB-80DX flash goes through regular
> alkaline batteries fast. I was thinking about trying NiMH batteries with

the
> flash. Has anyone tried rechargable batteries with digital flashes? If

so,
> was their lifetime longer than non-rechargable batteries?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Barry

When I started buying NiMH batteries for my first digicam, I started using
them with my flashes and haven't looked back at Alkalines.

Mark

JIM

"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HcKdndZPPYzqqGuiRVn-> When I started buying NiMH batteries for my first
digicam, I started using
> them with my flashes and haven't looked back at Alkalines.
>
> Mark

Alkalines? They still make that stuff? Thought they went out with those
prehistoric birds....

Jim

CaptainKrunch

If your having a problem with battery life then I would definitely go with
the NIMH. Get the ones with the most ma or mah. That is milliamps or
milliamp hours. The higher the number the more power they contain or the
longer they will last under a load. I believe the best deal I have seen so
far, without a charger, is 4 Energizers (I think) at the local staples store
for $14.99. They are 2100mah each I believe although you can find NiMH at
Sears, Radioshack, Circuit City, etc. My Sony camera came with a charger so
one less thing for me to buy.

CaptainKrunch

"Wessy1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have recently started using new Nikon D-100's at work and I love this

new
> camera. However, I have found that the SB-80DX flash goes through regular
> alkaline batteries fast. I was thinking about trying NiMH batteries with

the
> flash. Has anyone tried rechargable batteries with digital flashes? If

so,
> was their lifetime longer than non-rechargable batteries?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Barry

steve

Get two sets and recharge one while using the other if you take lots of
flash shots.

CaptainKrunch wrote:

> If your having a problem with battery life then I would definitely go with
> the NIMH. Get the ones with the most ma or mah. That is milliamps or
> milliamp hours. The higher the number the more power they contain or the
> longer they will last under a load. I believe the best deal I have seen so
> far, without a charger, is 4 Energizers (I think) at the local staples store
> for $14.99. They are 2100mah each I believe although you can find NiMH at
> Sears, Radioshack, Circuit City, etc. My Sony camera came with a charger so
> one less thing for me to buy.
>

> CaptainKrunch
>

> "Wessy1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>We have recently started using new Nikon D-100's at work and I love this

> new
>
>>camera. However, I have found that the SB-80DX flash goes through regular
>>alkaline batteries fast. I was thinking about trying NiMH batteries with

> the
>
>>flash. Has anyone tried rechargable batteries with digital flashes? If

> so,
>
>>was their lifetime longer than non-rechargable batteries?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Barry

Mike Fields

Make sure your users manual for the flash does not
say NOT to use rechargables (some of the cheaper old
flashes said not to -- they used the internal resistance of
the alkaline batteries to limit the startup current). All of
the flashes I have seen recently do not have a problem
with the rechargables, but CHECK the manual !!
Rechargables (NiMH, NiCd etc) have a much lower
internal resistance than alkaline which is generally good
except if that is the limiting factor for the switching transistors
in the inverter used to generate the high flash voltage.
Assuming proper design, the rechargables will usually have
a faster recycle time due to their lower internal resistance.

--
Mike "mikey" Fields
http://home.comcast.net/~mike.fields/

Linux users brag on how long their system stays up,
Window users assume it's a temporary condition ...

"Wessy1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We have recently started using new Nikon D-100's at work and I love this

new
> camera. However, I have found that the SB-80DX flash goes through regular
> alkaline batteries fast. I was thinking about trying NiMH batteries with

the
> flash. Has anyone tried rechargable batteries with digital flashes? If

so,
> was their lifetime longer than non-rechargable batteries?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Barry

Charlie Self

JIM responds:

>Alkalines? They still make that stuff? Thought they went out with those
>prehistoric birds....

I've got a couple of wall clocks where they work. And a small flashlight.

Charlie Self
"If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave
it to. " Dorothy Parker

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Juan R. Pollo

"Mike Fields" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Make sure your users manual for the flash does not
> say NOT to use rechargables (some of the cheaper old
> flashes said not to -- they used the internal resistance of
> the alkaline batteries to limit the startup current). All of
> the flashes I have seen recently do not have a problem
> with the rechargables, but CHECK the manual !!
> Rechargables (NiMH, NiCd etc) have a much lower
> internal resistance than alkaline which is generally good
> except if that is the limiting factor for the switching transistors
> in the inverter used to generate the high flash voltage.
> Assuming proper design, the rechargables will usually have
> a faster recycle time due to their lower internal resistance.
>
> --

Is that why my Vivitar 285 is dead with rechargeable NiMH?

I left alkalines in there too long and they made a bit of a mess. I cleaned
it up as best I could, but now the flash is dead and I don't have any
alkalines to test it with. Any hope?

Juan