Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Scanner/Apple help desperately needed

Scanner/Apple help desperately needed

Grady R. Thompson

I need help trying to connect a scanner to a new Apple G5 computer.
The scanner is a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi (NOT Multi II or Pro). It
has a SCSI connection. I bought a Belkin SCSI/Firewire Adapter
specifically to connect this scanner to the new computer. I have
downloaded the Minolta scanner driver, and even tried VueScan, having
read about that, but my scanner is not found using either software. I
am lost as to what the problem can be, or what to do. Any suggestions
would be appreciated.

nospam

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Grady R.
Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I need help trying to connect a scanner to a new Apple G5 computer.
> The scanner is a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi (NOT Multi II or Pro). It
> has a SCSI connection. I bought a Belkin SCSI/Firewire Adapter
> specifically to connect this scanner to the new computer. I have
> downloaded the Minolta scanner driver, and even tried VueScan, having
> read about that, but my scanner is not found using either software. I
> am lost as to what the problem can be, or what to do. Any suggestions
> would be appreciated.

the problem is likely the firewire scsi adapter which tend to only work
with hard drives. try a pci scsi card instead.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Grady R. Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I need help trying to connect a scanner to a new Apple G5 computer.
> The scanner is a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi (NOT Multi II or Pro). It
> has a SCSI connection. I bought a Belkin SCSI/Firewire Adapter
> specifically to connect this scanner to the new computer. I have
> downloaded the Minolta scanner driver, and even tried VueScan, having
> read about that, but my scanner is not found using either software. I
> am lost as to what the problem can be, or what to do. Any suggestions
> would be appreciated.

Scanner drivers are never very robust and SCSI is non-trivial to do
correctly. I don't think I've seen a SCSI scanner work since 1994.
Even many recent SCSI scanners are still based on the System 6 SCSI
Manager, and that SCSI Manager was hard-coded for a very specific
hardware configuration. It often isn't possible for the modern SCSI
Manager to emulate that old interface with new hardware.

See if you can make the scanner appear in Apple's System Pofiler. If
not, there's something wrong. You may have an old Belkin driver,
termination problems, or the wrong kind of cable.

If it does appear, it may be a problem trying to emulate the ancient
SCSI Manager. Fuss with the SCSI ID and see if there's a Belkin utility
to assist the ancient SCSI Manager emulator.

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Grady R.
Thompson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I need help trying to connect a scanner to a new Apple G5 computer.
> The scanner is a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi (NOT Multi II or Pro). It
> has a SCSI connection. I bought a Belkin SCSI/Firewire Adapter
> specifically to connect this scanner to the new computer. I have
> downloaded the Minolta scanner driver, and even tried VueScan, having
> read about that, but my scanner is not found using either software. I
> am lost as to what the problem can be, or what to do. Any suggestions
> would be appreciated.

I have a G4 and a Umax scanner, so my setup may not be applicable to
you. When I bought the G4, I had the dealer install the SCSI adapter.

Are all the scanner application extensions in the Extensions folder?
I use SCSIProbe, which is in the Control Panel, open it and check if it
can see the scanner. Very important, read the manual that came with the
scanner - it will tell you the SCSI number to use for the scanner. This
number will show up in SCSIProbe.

If no other SCSI device is connected, you need to install a Terminator
to the remaining SCSI port of the scanner.

Maybe you already know all of this ;0)

A few years ago, I had a major crash (down for two days), and SCSIProbe
disappeared, so none of my SCSI devices would work until I found it and
installed it in the Control Panel.

Peter

Donald Link

Must be your human problem because if you ask a Mac User they do not have
problems like this with the hardware because it is only a PC issue!

"Grady R. Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I need help trying to connect a scanner to a new Apple G5 computer.
> The scanner is a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi (NOT Multi II or Pro). It
> has a SCSI connection. I bought a Belkin SCSI/Firewire Adapter
> specifically to connect this scanner to the new computer. I have
> downloaded the Minolta scanner driver, and even tried VueScan, having
> read about that, but my scanner is not found using either software. I
> am lost as to what the problem can be, or what to do. Any suggestions
> would be appreciated.

Ron Wong

In article <jApJb.21553$(E-Mail Removed) .net>,
"Donald Link" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Must be your human problem because if you ask a Mac User they do not have
> problems like this with the hardware because it is only a PC issue!
>

> "Grady R. Thompson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I need help trying to connect a scanner to a new Apple G5 computer.
> > The scanner is a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi (NOT Multi II or Pro). It
> > has a SCSI connection. I bought a Belkin SCSI/Firewire Adapter
> > specifically to connect this scanner to the new computer. I have
> > downloaded the Minolta scanner driver, and even tried VueScan, having
> > read about that, but my scanner is not found using either software. I
> > am lost as to what the problem can be, or what to do. Any suggestions
> > would be appreciated.

Grady:

Ignore Donald's remark since it's that of a PC snob commenting on remarks
that are often made by Mac snobs.

Macs do have problems with I/O but just not as often - never, in the
experience of a some/many users.

What you have to do first is determine whether your Belkin SCSI/Firewire
Adapter connection is working properly.

First, turn your scanner on.

Then turn on (or restart the Mac) and, in OS X, go to the Apple icon,
select "About this Mac", "More Info...", "Devices and Volumes" and see
whether the Belkin adapter (or your Minolta scanner) appears under
"FireWire Information".

If it doesn't then you'll have to check to see if your SCSI device is set
up properly.

When linked to a SCSI port, the chain of SCSI devices must be properly
terminated. Even though your scanner is being connected to your computer
by way of a SCSI/FireWire adapter, it may have to be terminated for the
adapter to work properly. Check to make sure this is the case.

If your scanner IS terminated, then reverse the setting, restart the
computer and see if the System Profiler can detect the presence of the
scanner without termination.

As long as the System Profiler can't "see" the scanner by way of the
adapter, you'll never be able to make use of your scanner no matter whose
driver you are using.

Lots of luck.

ron

Scott Schuckert

In article <010120041956068776%(E-Mail Removed)>, nospam
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> the problem is likely the firewire scsi adapter which tend to only work
> with hard drives. try a pci scsi card instead.

YES. I've rarely seen a SCSI converter (FireWire OR USB) work reliably;
and never for a scanner. Don't waste your time fiddling with it, just
get a SCSI card.

For the record, I have an ancient HP ScanJet 4c attached to my 2003
dual processor G4 with an Adaptec 2930 card. Running Mac OS 10.3.5 and
the third-party scqanning program VueScan, I get great results.