Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Settings for Slide adapter/Nikon Coolpix 885

Settings for Slide adapter/Nikon Coolpix 885

Davidmystery

I'm about to try scanning old slides with a Nikon Coolpix 885, the Nikon
slide adapter, and a light box. The camera has a slide adapter setting in
its CSM menu. Does that automatically compensate for white balance and
autofocus? The camera has no actual "macro" setting, just a close-up mode
in the Scene menu. Thanks.

-David K. (USA)

Robert E. Williams

Davidmystery wrote:

> I'm about to try scanning old slides with a Nikon Coolpix 885, the Nikon
> slide adapter, and a light box. The camera has a slide adapter setting in
> its CSM menu. Does that automatically compensate for white balance and
> autofocus? The camera has no actual "macro" setting, just a close-up mode
> in the Scene menu. Thanks.
>
> -David K. (USA)

The Slide Adapter setting is slightly bogus.
The closest focusing distance on the 885 is 1.6 inches. This is not close
enough to fill the entire screen with a slide. So the Slide Adapter setting
lets you use DIGITAL zoom to enlarge the slide image so it can fill the
screen. You could do the same thing by capturing the smaller image and
enlarging (resampling) it in your photo editor.
Alternately, you could just use Auto or Manual mode with the Macro setting on
(flower icon). The Auto mode sets White Balance, Autofocuses, sets
Exposure....etc...etc. Then you can resample and crop to 2:3 aspect ratio as
required.
Bob Williams

Ken Weitzel

Hi...

Robert E. Williams wrote:

> Davidmystery wrote:
>

>>I'm about to try scanning old slides with a Nikon Coolpix 885, the Nikon
>>slide adapter, and a light box. The camera has a slide adapter setting in
>>its CSM menu. Does that automatically compensate for white balance and
>>autofocus? The camera has no actual "macro" setting, just a close-up mode
>>in the Scene menu. Thanks.
>>
>>-David K. (USA)

> The Slide Adapter setting is slightly bogus.
> The closest focusing distance on the 885 is 1.6 inches. This is not close
> enough to fill the entire screen with a slide. So the Slide Adapter setting
> lets you use DIGITAL zoom to enlarge the slide image so it can fill the
> screen. You could do the same thing by capturing the smaller image and
> enlarging (resampling) it in your photo editor.
> Alternately, you could just use Auto or Manual mode with the Macro setting on
> (flower icon). The Auto mode sets White Balance, Autofocuses, sets
> Exposure....etc...etc. Then you can resample and crop to 2:3 aspect ratio as
> required.
> Bob Williams

Aha! Thank you from me, too!

So, which is in your opinion preferable? Use the digital zoom,
or go full out and crop?

One more thing... I don't have a light box, never even
seen one. Is a 150 watt frosted incadescent in one of
those frosted globes fixtures good enough?

Tried just setting the slide on top of a warm
white flourescent tube - not much good, white
balance changes by the second - I guess there's
some IR coming off the tube...

Or do I do my own dirty work - dig in and experiment.

Take care.

Ken

Davidmystery

Robert:

Thanks for the info. I will try the macro/flower setting rather than lose
data to "digital zoom."

-David K. (USA)

"Robert E. Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Davidmystery wrote:
>
> > I'm about to try scanning old slides with a Nikon Coolpix 885, the Nikon
> > slide adapter, and a light box. The camera has a slide adapter setting

in
> > its CSM menu. Does that automatically compensate for white balance and
> > autofocus? The camera has no actual "macro" setting, just a close-up

mode
> > in the Scene menu. Thanks.
> >
> > -David K. (USA)

> The Slide Adapter setting is slightly bogus.
> The closest focusing distance on the 885 is 1.6 inches. This is not close
> enough to fill the entire screen with a slide. So the Slide Adapter

setting
> lets you use DIGITAL zoom to enlarge the slide image so it can fill the
> screen. You could do the same thing by capturing the smaller image and
> enlarging (resampling) it in your photo editor.
> Alternately, you could just use Auto or Manual mode with the Macro setting

on
> (flower icon). The Auto mode sets White Balance, Autofocuses, sets
> Exposure....etc...etc. Then you can resample and crop to 2:3 aspect ratio

as
> required.
> Bob Williams

Robert E. Williams