Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Refilling Canon i9xx printers

Refilling Canon i9xx printers

ned

Looking to replace my Lexmark Z51. Have seen favorable comments on
the Canon i950/960 printers. I'd appreciate hearing comments from
those who refill their ink tanks on these models with respect to the
following:
Eease of filling
Pprint quality compared to mfg's refills
Rreliability of the jets using generic ink.

Also curious as to whether the clear plastic ink tanks get clouded
with ink if reused and how that affects the ability for the printer to
sense ink level or for the operator to view the levels.

Mango

I have been refilling for ages...a couple of tips...
1- get good quality ink...but be aware that you will not be able to match
the canon ink...its propriatary....
2...have lots of absorbment papers to catch any drips/spills....
3..get rubber stoppers to replace the ball that you will get out in order to
refill...(rubber stoppers really save time, just pop them out and pop them
in...)
4...note that when the tank is being refilled, the ink will coupously drip
till you plug it up...
5...wear quality rubber gloves to keep your hands clean...

invest your savings on ink wisely...lol

Mango

"ned" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Looking to replace my Lexmark Z51. Have seen favorable comments on
> the Canon i950/960 printers. I'd appreciate hearing comments from
> those who refill their ink tanks on these models with respect to the
> following:
> Eease of filling
> Pprint quality compared to mfg's refills
> Rreliability of the jets using generic ink.
>
> Also curious as to whether the clear plastic ink tanks get clouded
> with ink if reused and how that affects the ability for the printer to
> sense ink level or for the operator to view the levels.

---

ned

Thanks Mango. I've refilled the Lexmark successfully for years. Do
you have any experience with the i950 or i960 specifically?

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:42:29 -0600, "Mango" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have been refilling for ages...a couple of tips...
>1- get good quality ink...but be aware that you will not be able to match
>the canon ink...its propriatary....
>2...have lots of absorbment papers to catch any drips/spills....
>3..get rubber stoppers to replace the ball that you will get out in order to
>refill...(rubber stoppers really save time, just pop them out and pop them
>in...)
>4...note that when the tank is being refilled, the ink will coupously drip
>till you plug it up...
>5...wear quality rubber gloves to keep your hands clean...
>
>invest your savings on ink wisely...lol
>
>Mango
>

>"ned" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Looking to replace my Lexmark Z51. Have seen favorable comments on
>> the Canon i950/960 printers. I'd appreciate hearing comments from
>> those who refill their ink tanks on these models with respect to the
>> following:
>> Eease of filling
>> Pprint quality compared to mfg's refills
>> Rreliability of the jets using generic ink.
>>
>> Also curious as to whether the clear plastic ink tanks get clouded
>> with ink if reused and how that affects the ability for the printer to
>> sense ink level or for the operator to view the levels.

>---

Tom

"ned" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Mango. I've refilled the Lexmark successfully for years. Do
> you have any experience with the i950 or i960 specifically?
>
> On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 22:42:29 -0600, "Mango" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >I have been refilling for ages...a couple of tips...
> >1- get good quality ink...but be aware that you will not be able to

match
> >the canon ink...its propriatary....
> >2...have lots of absorbment papers to catch any drips/spills....
> >3..get rubber stoppers to replace the ball that you will get out in order

> >refill...(rubber stoppers really save time, just pop them out and pop

them
> >in...)
> >4...note that when the tank is being refilled, the ink will coupously

drip
> >till you plug it up...
> >5...wear quality rubber gloves to keep your hands clean...
> >
> >invest your savings on ink wisely...lol
> >
> >Mango

I'm not Mango but I have a couple of years and literally hundreds of refills
experience. These tanks are all the same and are very easy to refill.

I do not use the rubber plug system as it is too messy. I drill a VERY
small hole in the top rear of the tank and plug it with a small pan head
screw. Easy to get out, easy to put in... and you do not tend to squeeze
the tanks while doing so (causing excessive leakage). I use a syringe and
needle for each color (six of them) and never mix syringes.

At one time, I tried to count the number of refills I got out of every tank
but gave up when the numbers went into the hundreds. Tanks WILL eventually
need replacing but I have found the cause to be eventual clogging of the air
vent in the top of the tank (under the label). So now I make it a point to
keep the tanks upright as much as possible... but it is not big deal to buy
a new tank after several score (or hundred) refills.

My S9000 is used to print wedding proofs. The prints are on Office Depot
Premium photo paper and each sheet contains 4 ea. 4x5 proof shots. This
equates to an 8x10 per sheet. And I print many hundreds of sheets. Wore
out one print head already, but it was child's play to replace... no need to
send to a repair facility.

Print longevity is a MAJOR issue if you are doing serious prints. Tests I
have done show that Epson and Canon dye based prints fade badly (and
quickly) if not protected from direct light. We use the inkjet for proofs
only and as they are in a proof book, under a plastic cover, I expect the
proof prints will last a lifetime. But we do not guarantee proofs and all
final prints are done on Lambda's or Frontiers, depending upon the size
needed.

I have been VERY impressed with my Canon printer and would replace it with
another should the need arise. We would never consider doing final prints
in-house as our time is more valuable than that, so the archival Epsons with
(non refillable) pigment inks are a non starter with us. We got away from
Epsons in the past because of clogging and the inability to easily refill
the tanks and will never return to them, although they produce EXCELLENT
output when working correctly.

Tom

Lofty

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:03:21 GMT, "Tom"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm not Mango but I have a couple of years and literally hundreds of refills
>experience. These tanks are all the same and are very easy to refill.
>
>I do not use the rubber plug system as it is too messy. I drill a VERY
>small hole in the top rear of the tank and plug it with a small pan head
>screw. Easy to get out, easy to put in... and you do not tend to squeeze
>the tanks while doing so (causing excessive leakage). I use a syringe and
>needle for each color (six of them) and never mix syringes.
>
>At one time, I tried to count the number of refills I got out of every tank
>but gave up when the numbers went into the hundreds. Tanks WILL eventually
>need replacing but I have found the cause to be eventual clogging of the air
>vent in the top of the tank (under the label). So now I make it a point to
>keep the tanks upright as much as possible... but it is not big deal to buy
>a new tank after several score (or hundred) refills.
>
>My S9000 is used to print wedding proofs. The prints are on Office Depot
>Premium photo paper and each sheet contains 4 ea. 4x5 proof shots. This
>equates to an 8x10 per sheet. And I print many hundreds of sheets. Wore
>out one print head already, but it was child's play to replace... no need to
>send to a repair facility.
>
>Print longevity is a MAJOR issue if you are doing serious prints. Tests I
>have done show that Epson and Canon dye based prints fade badly (and
>quickly) if not protected from direct light. We use the inkjet for proofs
>only and as they are in a proof book, under a plastic cover, I expect the
>proof prints will last a lifetime. But we do not guarantee proofs and all
>final prints are done on Lambda's or Frontiers, depending upon the size
>needed.
>
>I have been VERY impressed with my Canon printer and would replace it with
>another should the need arise. We would never consider doing final prints
>in-house as our time is more valuable than that, so the archival Epsons with
>(non refillable) pigment inks are a non starter with us. We got away from
>Epsons in the past because of clogging and the inability to easily refill
>the tanks and will never return to them, although they produce EXCELLENT
>output when working correctly.
>
>Tom

Tom

Who's ink do you use, and where do you get it from?

Also who's paper suites your printer. I have tried a few different
makes of paper, but non compare to Canons own?

I run an i950 and am very pleased with the results, however I only use
genuine Canon ink tanks and paper ATM.

Lofty

Sam

I do not use the rubber plug system as it is too messy. I drill a VERY
small hole in the top rear of the tank and plug it with a small pan head
screw. Easy to get out, easy to put in... and you do not tend to squeeze
the tanks while doing so (causing excessive leakage). I use a syringe and
needle for each color (six of them) and never mix syringes.

- - -

Tom, tell me some more about how you use the pan head screw. I've been
refilling my i950 for awhile and have been very pleased with the results.
I seal the fill hole with a little bit of bubble gum but it's messy and
doesn't always make a complete seal.

- - -

In answer to Ned, I use ink from www.alotofthings.com and have been very
happy with the quality. I use RoaylBrites High Gloss Photo paper from
Sam's club and IMHO believe that the print quality is just as good as Canon
paper. 150 sheets of the RoyalBrites cost about $19.00.

Ophelia Quivers

I have an i960 and use Carrotink.com for replacement tanks. The cost is half
as much and I can't tell the difference. I use Canon Pro Paper Plus as well.

"ned" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Looking to replace my Lexmark Z51. Have seen favorable comments on
> the Canon i950/960 printers. I'd appreciate hearing comments from
> those who refill their ink tanks on these models with respect to the
> following:
> Eease of filling
> Pprint quality compared to mfg's refills
> Rreliability of the jets using generic ink.
>
> Also curious as to whether the clear plastic ink tanks get clouded
> with ink if reused and how that affects the ability for the printer to
> sense ink level or for the operator to view the levels.

ned

Thanks for the comments from the Canon users. Sounds like refilling
is easy and good results are achieved. While the Lexmark has served
me well, I know the newer printers are greatly improved. Ability to
refill is a key factor in my replacement decision until mfg's start
marketing more reasonable replacement costs. I like the idea of clear
ink tanks and the ability to replace individually.

Tom, are there any products to prevent the prints from fading? Are we
talking about months or several years to see noticeable fade?

dicko

There's this link with cartidges selling for $1.85:
http://private.abacus24-7.com/(zs3yg...2&compat=12509

I've used them and had no problems but prints do smell different
coming out of the printer than when using OEM canon ink, a very
strong alchohol smell, so they are formulated differently.

At $1.85, it doesnt pay to refill.

I've also refilled the canon cartidges and find that 2 things happen
after a while:
1. they start experiencing ink flow problems after being used about 10
times.
2. the plastic tab that latches them into the print head tends to get
real floppy as the plastic hinge starts to break.

No big deal, just buy a new OEM cartidge and then start refilling it.

I use a heated 4 penny nail to melt a small hole in the tank and then
use hot melt glue to seal the hole. it seals well and pops right off
for the next refill.

I've used ink from both www.inkjetgoodies.com and
www.padiscountink.com and never had any problems after a hundred or so
refills.

I cant tell any difference in prints using OEM or refilled cartridges.
I use Ilford Galerie Smooth Gloss paper from Sams Club at $25 per 100
sheet, 8.5x 11.

dickm

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 23:33:16 GMT, "Ophelia Quivers" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have an i960 and use Carrotink.com for replacement tanks. The cost is half
>as much and I can't tell the difference. I use Canon Pro Paper Plus as well.
>

>"ned" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Looking to replace my Lexmark Z51. Have seen favorable comments on
>> the Canon i950/960 printers. I'd appreciate hearing comments from
>> those who refill their ink tanks on these models with respect to the
>> following:
>> Eease of filling
>> Pprint quality compared to mfg's refills
>> Rreliability of the jets using generic ink.
>>
>> Also curious as to whether the clear plastic ink tanks get clouded
>> with ink if reused and how that affects the ability for the printer to
>> sense ink level or for the operator to view the levels.

jean

"Mango" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:bstk3a$18pks$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> I have been refilling for ages...a couple of tips...
> 1- get good quality ink...but be aware that you will not be able to match
> the canon ink...its propriatary....
> 2...have lots of absorbment papers to catch any drips/spills....
> 3..get rubber stoppers to replace the ball that you will get out in order

> refill...(rubber stoppers really save time, just pop them out and pop them
> in...)
> 4...note that when the tank is being refilled, the ink will coupously drip
> till you plug it up...

I pop the hole head with the six cartriges out and leave the tanks in when
refilling, this way I get no drips at all. Still as a precaution, I do the
refilling over a drop cloth but I don't wear gloves and get away with clean
hands.

Jean