Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Online printers and Adobe RGB

Online printers and Adobe RGB

Steve James

Can someone point me to an online printing service that will not
"process" my files before printing, and can print in Adobe RGB
colorspace?

Most services seem to ignore any embedded color space info and print in
sRGB. They also do things like sharpening, contrast and saturation
adjustments that I prefer to do myself in Photoshop.

--
To email me use: sjusenet AT comcast DOT net

Brad

In article <1g6sho2.173aku8qvj478N%(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) said...
> Can someone point me to an online printing service that will not
> "process" my files before printing, and can print in Adobe RGB
> colorspace?
>
> Most services seem to ignore any embedded color space info and print in
> sRGB. They also do things like sharpening, contrast and saturation
> adjustments that I prefer to do myself in Photoshop.

Aren't all of those adjustments pointless if your monitor is not
calibrated to their printer?

Bill Hilton

>From: (E-Mail Removed) (Steve James)

>Can someone point me to an online printing service that will not
>"process" my files before printing, and can print in Adobe RGB
>colorspace?

You may need to move up a step in class to more expensive prints from companies
printing fine-art on LightJet 5000's or Epson 9600's, like Calypso or West
Coast Imaging if you insist on using AdobeRGB.

>Most services seem to ignore any embedded color space info and print in
>sRGB.

That's the way their printers are set up. You can still make all your edits in
AdobeRGB and save that as a master file, then when you want to send an sRGB
copy to an on-line printer just do Image > Mode > Convert to Profile. That way
the colors don't get clipped, they just get compressed into the smaller space.
This works pretty well.

Bill

Flycaster

"Steve James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1g6sho2.173aku8qvj478N%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can someone point me to an online printing service that will not
> "process" my files before printing, and can print in Adobe RGB
> colorspace?

Great question. Every one I've seen or heard of either uses Fujis or
Noritsu photo printers - both of which use sRGB at their OS level. Send
them a file tagged with anything else and it is disregarded, resulting in
"flat" images when color spaces larger than sRGB are sent to either printer.
(It's really too bad, since the native gamut of both devices is far larger
than sRGB.) Regardless, you'll have to convert a copy to sRGB (and accept
the gamut contraction) to avoid this problem.

But, hey, if you find one please let us know!

>[snip] They also do things like sharpening, contrast and saturation
> adjustments that I prefer to do myself in Photoshop.

Now *that* you can control. Simply tell them to turn off all "auto
adjustments." According to my guy at Costco, this is very easy.

Brad

In article <3ff24182$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) said...
> "Steve James" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1g6sho2.173aku8qvj478N%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> >[snip] They also do things like sharpening, contrast and saturation
> > adjustments that I prefer to do myself in Photoshop.

> Now *that* you can control. Simply tell them to turn off all "auto
> adjustments." According to my guy at Costco, this is very easy.

Not easy for most online printers. Those beasts blast out a ton of orders
in one mode and since most of the orders belong to amateur point-and-
shoots they treat them all that way.

zbzbzb

>> Now *that* you can control. Simply tell them to turn off all "auto
>> adjustments." According to my guy at Costco, this is very easy.

>Not easy for most online printers. Those beasts blast out a ton of orders
>in one mode and since most of the orders belong to amateur point-and-
>shoots they treat them all that way.

My local Costco doesn't adjust my digital images in any way. I get consistently
identical results to what I see on my montior.

c0smic

Steve James wrote:
> Can someone point me to an online printing service that will not
> "process" my files before printing, and can print in Adobe RGB
> colorspace?
>
> Most services seem to ignore any embedded color space info and print in
> sRGB. They also do things like sharpening, contrast and saturation
> adjustments that I prefer to do myself in Photoshop.

You can get photos printed in Adobe RGB at
http://printroom.com . I have received excellent prints from Printroom.
You can read about their color management here:
http://www.printroom.com/iccprofile.asp

PQ

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 17:00:40 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) (Steve James)
wrote:

>Can someone point me to an online printing service that will not
>"process" my files before printing, and can print in Adobe RGB
>colorspace?
>
>Most services seem to ignore any embedded color space info and print in
>sRGB. They also do things like sharpening, contrast and saturation
>adjustments that I prefer to do myself in Photoshop.

I suspect that the online printing service you're using simply ignores
embedded profiles, since that's the way Frontier & Noritsu printers
work.

Instead, your images should be converted to the proper profile for the
printing machine they are known to be using, and you specify in big
letters "NO ADJUSTMENTS" when you turn the images in for processing.

Brad

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, torrex6
@cs.comzbzbzb said...

> >> Now *that* you can control. Simply tell them to turn off all "auto
> >> adjustments." According to my guy at Costco, this is very easy.

> >Not easy for most online printers. Those beasts blast out a ton of orders
> >in one mode and since most of the orders belong to amateur point-and-
> >shoots they treat them all that way.
> >

> My local Costco doesn't adjust my digital images in any way. I get consistently
> identical results to what I see on my montior.

The subject says "online printers."

Flycaster

"Brad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Not easy for most online printers. Those beasts blast out a ton of orders
> in one mode and since most of the orders belong to amateur point-and-
> shoots they treat them all that way.

Sure it is, they just don't want to. Trust me, if Costco can do it, so can
they. And if they won't, screw 'em, find another printer. Easy.