Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus C740 Shutter Speed at 380mm Zoom

Olympus C740 Shutter Speed at 380mm Zoom

kjk

Hi Folks,

What do you suppose would be the minimum shutter speed at which it
would be safe to hand hold this small, light camera at full 380mm
zoom? Thanks.

Ken

Pat Durkin

"kjk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Folks,
>
> What do you suppose would be the minimum shutter speed at which it
> would be safe to hand hold this small, light camera at full 380mm
> zoom? Thanks.

I've only owned mine for about a week and haven't had too much time to use
it or familiarize myself with all the manual controls - however I HAVE made
a few shots at full extension on full automatic. About half were diamond
sharp. The rest showed evidence of movement by me. So be careful. Take a
good deep breath and steady yourself or use a tripod if it's a shot that
matters.

Pat

Pat Durkin

"Pat Durkin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vd6Ib.3193$(E-Mail Removed) m...

I should have added that the lighting conditions were mostly "cloudy bright"
or worse.

Pat

Michael Meissner

kjk <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Hi Folks,
>
> What do you suppose would be the minimum shutter speed at which it
> would be safe to hand hold this small, light camera at full 380mm
> zoom? Thanks.

The rule of thumb is 1/focal-range, or 1/380 second or faster (ie, on your
camera, 1/500).

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed)-meissners.org>,
Michael Meissner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>kjk <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> What do you suppose would be the minimum shutter speed at which it
>> would be safe to hand hold this small, light camera at full 380mm
>> zoom? Thanks.

>The rule of thumb is 1/focal-range, or 1/380 second or faster (ie, on your
>camera, 1/500).

That's for SLRs with mirror-slap and shutter movement, though, isn't it?
I could handle my Sony F707 with exposures 3x to 6x the "1/fl" rule.
Can't even come close with my 10D (without IS).
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Michael Meissner

(E-Mail Removed) writes:

> In message <(E-Mail Removed)-meissners.org>,
> Michael Meissner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >kjk <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >
> >> Hi Folks,
> >>
> >> What do you suppose would be the minimum shutter speed at which it
> >> would be safe to hand hold this small, light camera at full 380mm
> >> zoom? Thanks.

> >The rule of thumb is 1/focal-range, or 1/380 second or faster (ie, on your
> >camera, 1/500).

> That's for SLRs with mirror-slap and shutter movement, though, isn't it?
> I could handle my Sony F707 with exposures 3x to 6x the "1/fl" rule.
> Can't even come close with my 10D (without IS).

I dunno. I see the Olympus firmware still believes in the 1/focal-range rule
when I zoom through the telephoto range, and see the default speed creeping
up. In terms of mirror slap, I've read that generally it is exposures like
1/30 - 2 seconds that is most affected, while for telephoto lenses, we are
talking about trying to use a 300mm equivalent lens at 1/60 or so.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)
http://www.the-meissners.org

JPS@no.komm

In message <(E-Mail Removed)-meissners.org>,
Michael Meissner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I dunno. I see the Olympus firmware still believes in the 1/focal-range rule
>when I zoom through the telephoto range, and see the default speed creeping
>up. In terms of mirror slap, I've read that generally it is exposures like
>1/30 - 2 seconds that is most affected, while for telephoto lenses, we are
>talking about trying to use a 300mm equivalent lens at 1/60 or so.

With my Sony F707, I shot at 190mm-equivalent at 1/60 consistently with
no visible blur from the camera. 1/30 more spottily, and 1/15 on rare
occasions. It takes no effort to press the F707 shutter button, and the
camera has no recoil at all.

With my 10D, I can barely break the 1/fl figure. Good thing for IS!
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

kjk

> I see the Olympus firmware still believes in the 1/focal-range rule
> when I zoom through the telephoto range, and see the default speed creeping
> up.

I was wondering about that. I'm considering buying this camera and I
was concerned that in Auto mode it would decrease the shutter speed as
the zoom extended, in order to compensate for the lower level of light
coming through the lens. That wouldn't be too good. But, in reality,
the camera is actually smart enough to increase the shutter speed in
relation to the amount of zoom, in order to compensate for the
additional image movement at longer focal lengths. Do I understand
that correctly?

I also see that it has a camera shake warning, but I don't have any
detailed info on that. Does it actually sense the image movement, or
is it just related to the fact that it believes the shutter speed is
too slow for a sharp image? Maybe you could explain a little bit
about how that works. Thanks.

Ken

---------------------------------------

kjk <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> > I see the Olympus firmware still believes in the 1/focal-range rule
> > when I zoom through the telephoto range, and see the default speed creeping
> > up.

> I was wondering about that. I'm considering buying this camera and I
> was concerned that in Auto mode it would decrease the shutter speed as
> the zoom extended, in order to compensate for the lower level of light
> coming through the lens. That wouldn't be too good. But, in reality,
> the camera is actually smart enough to increase the shutter speed in
> relation to the amount of zoom, in order to compensate for the
> additional image movement at longer focal lengths. Do I understand
> that correctly?

Yep. It does this on my C-2100UZ, even though it has image stabalization, and
could compensate for 1-2 f/stops. I suspect they just reuse a common firmware
between models.

The other Olympus quirk I've noticed is as you get more into low light
situations, the shutter speed will drop down to 1/30 second (for wide angle
shots) even if the flash is enabled, and then as the light goes even lower, it
gives up and sets the speed to 1/125. Obviously it is trying to use ambient
light over the flash, but I would argue that 1/30 is too slow to stop normal
human motion (at least when I learned photography on a rangefinder, 1/60 was
the desired minimum speed).

> I also see that it has a camera shake warning, but I don't have any
> detailed info on that. Does it actually sense the image movement, or
> is it just related to the fact that it believes the shutter speed is
> too slow for a sharp image? Maybe you could explain a little bit
> about how that works. Thanks.

I believe it just uses the 1/focal-length rule of thumb (ie, if the shutter
speed is too slow for the focal length, it puts up the warning light).

Obviously the camera also doesn't know about any telephoto lenses on the
camera.

--
Michael Meissner
email: (E-Mail Removed)

Ken Weitzel

Hi...

Michael Meissner wrote:
> kjk <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

>>>I see the Olympus firmware still believes in the 1/focal-range rule
>>>when I zoom through the telephoto range, and see the default speed creeping
>>>up.

>>I was wondering about that. I'm considering buying this camera and I
>>was concerned that in Auto mode it would decrease the shutter speed as
>>the zoom extended, in order to compensate for the lower level of light
>>coming through the lens. That wouldn't be too good. But, in reality,
>>the camera is actually smart enough to increase the shutter speed in
>>relation to the amount of zoom, in order to compensate for the
>>additional image movement at longer focal lengths. Do I understand
>>that correctly?

> Yep. It does this on my C-2100UZ, even though it has image stabalization, and
> could compensate for 1-2 f/stops. I suspect they just reuse a common firmware
> between models.
>
> The other Olympus quirk I've noticed is as you get more into low light
> situations, the shutter speed will drop down to 1/30 second (for wide angle
> shots) even if the flash is enabled, and then as the light goes even lower, it
> gives up and sets the speed to 1/125. Obviously it is trying to use ambient
> light over the flash, but I would argue that 1/30 is too slow to stop normal
> human motion (at least when I learned photography on a rangefinder, 1/60 was
> the desired minimum speed).
>

>>I also see that it has a camera shake warning, but I don't have any
>>detailed info on that. Does it actually sense the image movement, or
>>is it just related to the fact that it believes the shutter speed is
>>too slow for a sharp image? Maybe you could explain a little bit
>>about how that works. Thanks.

> I believe it just uses the 1/focal-length rule of thumb (ie, if the shutter
> speed is too slow for the focal length, it puts up the warning light).
>
> Obviously the camera also doesn't know about any telephoto lenses on the
> camera.

The camera does indeed know what the zoom is doing

In the fully manual mode, you can force the aperture down
to 2.8 while zoomed out; as you zoom in the lowest that you
can select goes up

As for the shake warning, you're right. Just tried it,
in the dining room. Held the camera in my shaky old hands
with ambient room lighting, the shake warning appeared.
Then set it firmly on the table, it did the same

Take care.

Ken