Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Hotshoe flash and redeye

Hotshoe flash and redeye

Angel

If I fitted a hotshoe flash to the camera (S602Z) and pointed the flash
slightly away (above) the subject, would that reduce redeye? Is this what
is meant as 'bouncing'?

regards

Angel

CSM1

"Angel" <Angel@Utopia_SpamMeNot.Uk.Com> wrote in message
news:4o2Ib.422$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I fitted a hotshoe flash to the camera (S602Z) and pointed the flash
> slightly away (above) the subject, would that reduce redeye? Is this what
> is meant as 'bouncing'?
>
> regards
>
> Angel

Yes. Bouncing is anytime the flash is not pointed directly at the subject.
Bouncing is off the ceiling or a white card mounted on the flash. It takes
more power from the flash when bouncing. The light has to travel farther.

To reduce or eliminate redeye, the flash must not be reflected from the eyes
to the camera lens. It is easier to have the subject look slightly away from
the camera lens, such as at the photographers shoulder.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Onepercentf

>If I fitted a hotshoe flash to the camera (S602Z) and pointed the flash
>slightly away (above) the subject, would that reduce redeye? Is this what
>is meant as 'bouncing'?

If it has something to bounce off, yes. A white ceiling is best. You will
never get redeyes if the flash light is bounced. If there is nothing to bounce
off, but the flash head is far enough away from the lens, you probably won't
get redeye. A flash bracket will definitely eliminate redeye, but this is less
convenient as you will need a connecting lead which, if dedicated to your
camera/flash combination, will be quite expensive. People with blue eyes,
especially babies, are most prone to the redeye effect. At least with a digital
camera you can experiment as much as you like without film costs. Good luck!

Jim Townsend

Angel wrote:

> If I fitted a hotshoe flash to the camera (S602Z) and pointed the flash
> slightly away (above) the subject, would that reduce redeye? Is this what
> is meant as 'bouncing'?

What flash ?

If the head swivels, up/down or left/right or both, then yes you can do bounce
flash. And yes, if done right, it completely eliminates red eye..

Joseph Meehan

To work well you would need to point the flash so little if any direct
flash would land on the subject. You want almost all of the light to reach
the subject after it reflected off a wall or ceiling.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Angel" <Angel@Utopia_SpamMeNot.Uk.Com> wrote in message
news:4o2Ib.422$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I fitted a hotshoe flash to the camera (S602Z) and pointed the flash
> slightly away (above) the subject, would that reduce redeye? Is this what
> is meant as 'bouncing'?
>
> regards
>
> Angel

Dan Sullivan

"Angel" <Angel@Utopia_SpamMeNot.Uk.Com> wrote in message
news:4o2Ib.422$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I fitted a hotshoe flash to the camera (S602Z) and pointed the flash
> slightly away (above) the subject, would that reduce redeye? Is this what
> is meant as 'bouncing'?

Bouncing is when the flash is aimed at a white ceiling directly above the
camera or tilted slightly towards the subject.

If you've been getting redeye with the 602's flash just switching to a shoe
mt flash should remedy that.

Bouncing does give you more natural lighting.

If you don't have a white ceiling and still want to bounce get a Lumiquest
Pocket Bouncer.

http://www.lumiquest.com/

Best, Dan

tbm

use the anti red eye feat on the camera and increase your shooting light. the red eye red works real dam good on the fuji...but one
would expect that from such a classy camera...rgds to all frm TBM...

---

Howard McCollister

"Angel" <Angel@Utopia_SpamMeNot.Uk.Com> wrote in message
news:4o2Ib.422$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I fitted a hotshoe flash to the camera (S602Z) and pointed the flash
> slightly away (above) the subject, would that reduce redeye? Is this what
> is meant as 'bouncing'?

Red eye occurs when the incident angle of flash to retina is 2.5 degrees or
less -- 5 degrees from flash to retina and back to lens. Increase that angle
by raising the flash off of that axis and there will be no red eye. A hot
shot mounted flash may do it at some subject distances, or if the subject is
far enough away, it may require a flash bracket to get it even farther off
that axis.

HMc

Ron Hunter

Angel wrote:

> If I fitted a hotshoe flash to the camera (S602Z) and pointed the flash
> slightly away (above) the subject, would that reduce redeye? Is this what
> is meant as 'bouncing'?
>
> regards
>
> Angel

Yes, and yes.

Bill

Yes......you're correct on both things. But may I ask if you've ever used
the built-in flash set to the red-eye reduction setting? It works very well.
If you haven't tried that yet, then I'd suggest you do try it before
spending money on an external flash unit.

Bill