Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > any input ont the new Panasonic DMC-FZ10 w/12x

any input ont the new Panasonic DMC-FZ10 w/12x

Ray

This cam seems to be what I have been waiting for a long time. 4 MP and a
12x OS zoom to boot with full manual options. However the reviews seem to be
either really really good or terrible. None in between. So am I better off
waiting before getting this cam maybe till the spring and is it possible
those that do not like the cam just do not know how to use it??

Hans-Georg Michna

"Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This cam seems to be what I have been waiting for a long time. 4 MP and a
>12x OS zoom to boot with full manual options. However the reviews seem to be
>either really really good or terrible. None in between. So am I better off
>waiting before getting this cam maybe till the spring and is it possible
>those that do not like the cam just do not know how to use it??

Not to forget the image stabilizer which renders this camera
without competition.

I own the earlier FZ1 and am quite happy with it, particularly
with the sharpness of the lens. I'd swap it for the FZ10 on the
spot if that camera weren't so much bigger. So I'll wait a
little longer for technology to improve and become smaller..

If the FZ1 is anything to go by, I think you should buy the
FZ10.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Vic Dura

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 13:06:32 GMT, RE: any input ont the new Panasonic
DMC-FZ10 w/12x "Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This cam seems to be what I have been waiting for a long time. 4 MP and a
>12x OS zoom to boot with full manual options. However the reviews seem to be
>either really really good or terrible. None in between. So am I better off
>waiting before getting this cam maybe till the spring and is it possible
>those that do not like the cam just do not know how to use it??

Note that the FZ10 has a proprietary battery which IMO is a flaw. The
rest of the camera specs look great; and the price is very good
considering it has the image stabilization.

--
To reply to me directly, remove the XXX characters from my email address.

Steven Whatley

Hans-Georg Michna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I own the earlier FZ1 and am quite happy with it, particularly
> with the sharpness of the lens. I'd swap it for the FZ10 on the
> spot if that camera weren't so much bigger. So I'll wait a
> little longer for technology to improve and become smaller..

Hans-Georg,

Have you tried the FZ1 firmware upgrade that gives the FZ1 the
capabilities of an FZ2? It adds apperture and shutter priority as well as
a red/blue manual WB adjustment. You can get the details at DPReview:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=7018010

I've done it and it works great. It gives new life to the alrady good
FZ1.

Later,
Steven

Hans-Georg Michna

Steven Whatley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hans-Georg Michna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I own the earlier FZ1 and am quite happy with it, particularly
>> with the sharpness of the lens. I'd swap it for the FZ10 on the
>> spot if that camera weren't so much bigger. So I'll wait a
>> little longer for technology to improve and become smaller..

>Have you tried the FZ1 firmware upgrade that gives the FZ1 the
>capabilities of an FZ2? It adds apperture and shutter priority as well as
>a red/blue manual WB adjustment. You can get the details at DPReview:
>
>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=7018010
>
>I've done it and it works great. It gives new life to the alrady good
>FZ1.

Steven,

hey, this is incredible! Already downloaded and will try after
recharging my battery. (I deep-discharge it twice a year in the
religious belief that this is good for the battery. And this has
been done today.

I'm very curious about the upgrade process and the new firmware.
Is this a hack? Or is it something official from Panasonic? I
guess it can only be a hack.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Hans-Georg Michna

Vic Dura <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Note that the FZ10 has a proprietary battery which IMO is a flaw.

Vic,

I've seen worse flaws than that. This shouldn't deter anybody.
It only has the potential to raise the overall price somewhat.

Hans-Georg

>The
>rest of the camera specs look great; and the price is very good
>considering it has the image stabilization.

--
No mail, please.

TJ

Hans-Georg Michna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> "Ray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >This cam seems to be what I have been waiting for a long time. 4 MP and a
> >12x OS zoom to boot with full manual options. However the reviews seem to be
> >either really really good or terrible. None in between. So am I better off
> >waiting before getting this cam maybe till the spring and is it possible
> >those that do not like the cam just do not know how to use it??

> Not to forget the image stabilizer which renders this camera
> without competition.
>
> I own the earlier FZ1 and am quite happy with it, particularly
> with the sharpness of the lens. I'd swap it for the FZ10 on the
> spot if that camera weren't so much bigger. So I'll wait a
> little longer for technology to improve and become smaller..
>
> If the FZ1 is anything to go by, I think you should buy the
> FZ10.
>
> Hans-Georg

This is my first Digital camera; did some research prior to buying.
Love it so far. Many positives. Only down sides so far include:
1) can't fit lens filter w/o using hood (hood comes w/ camera)
2) proprietary battery..which at least lasts longer than rechargeable
AA's
3) no remote control with it.
4) no TIFF, RAW settings

B4 found this FZ10, almost bought Olympus 750UZ; you might compare the
2.

Good Luck,

TJ
Bought mine from J+R's who matched lowest price on internet.

Hans-Georg Michna

Steven Whatley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Have you tried the FZ1 firmware upgrade that gives the FZ1 the
>capabilities of an FZ2? It adds apperture and shutter priority as well as
>a red/blue manual WB adjustment. You can get the details at DPReview:
>
>http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=7018010
>
>I've done it and it works great. It gives new life to the alrady good
>FZ1.

Steven,

just did it, worked perfectly! Thanks, you made my day! This is
hard to believe! My FZ1 was turned into an FZ2 for free.

I append the complete instructions below, just in case anybody
else is interested.

Hans-Georg

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1 firmware upgrade to FZ2

1. Download the upgrade (here's one source:
http://www.2000wuben.com/firmware.bin )

2. Copy firmware.bin to the root of a memory card with two empty
folders: DCIM and MISC. (You can use a card reader for this, or
with card in camera. If using camera to copy the file, turn
camera off after copying file.)

3. Have a fully charged battery (very important) or use the AC
adapter to be safe.

4. With the camera OFF, insert the memory card (unless already
in), turn the switch to playback (review mode).

5. Turn the camera ON and you should see ENGLISH upgrading
information. If not, you should turn the camera OFF and start
over.

6. Choose FIRM/EEprom (on the left-hand side), push SET (down
arrow) on the back of the camera, then the LCD will turn blue.

7. Wait for about 2 minutes until the on/off light stops
blinking (should beep when done, unless speaker is disabled).

8. Turn the camera OFF and on again. You're all set.

9. Remove the firmware.bin file from the memory card or, better,
format the memory card.

10. The upgrade will reset all default settings, including
resetting the numbering system. If you want to restore the
filenumber to where it was before the upgrade, do the following:

11. Take a picture with the upgraded FZ1. Insert the SD card
with the picture on it - either into a card reader or into the
camera hooked up to your computer in playback mode

12. Rename last taken image on SD-card (for example, if you just
upgraded it, the only picture there will be
X:\DCIM\100_pana\P1000001.JPG) to filenumber + 1 (in this
example, rename to X:\DCIM\100_pana\P1000002.JPG)

13. Copy your previous last image or just copy any FZ1 image TO
THE SAME CARD and rename to whatever you want the next file
number to be - 1 (minus 1) (example - Your previous last number
was X:\DCIM\100_pana\P1000901.JPG, so copy this file or copy any
FZ1 image and rename it to P1000901.JPG)

14. Disconnect FZ1 and take a picture

15. Your current filenumber is P1000902.JPG (or whatever number
you chose + 1)

Note: If you put X:\DCIM\100_pana\P1000999.JPG and SD-card
already has X:\DCIM\101_pana\ folder, then FZ1 will create
X:\102_pana\ folder and your current filenumber will be
P1020001.JPG (or P1030001.JPG with existing \102_pana\ and so
on). Be very careful not to create the desired folder already!
Stay one below, as the camera will create the next one.

Explanation: The FZ1 tries to write the next file number
(P1000002.JPG), but seeing that it exists, instead of
overwriting the file, it looks for the highest number on the
card (P1000901.JPG) and sets the next number to P1000902.JPG

Note: The firmware upgrade cannot be repeated and cannot
currently be undone. But there is a way to reset the numbering
entirely. For that format the memory card in the camera (or
insert an empty one), then remove the battery from the camera
for at least 24 hours, which will totally erase all settings,
including the numbering.

--
No mail, please.

Hans-Georg Michna

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (TJ) wrote:

>This is my first Digital camera; did some research prior to buying.
>Love it so far. Many positives. Only down sides so far include:
>1) can't fit lens filter w/o using hood (hood comes w/ camera)
>2) proprietary battery..which at least lasts longer than rechargeable
>AA's
>3) no remote control with it.
>4) no TIFF, RAW settings
>
>B4 found this FZ10, almost bought Olympus 750UZ; you might compare the
>2.

TJ,

I would add that the FZ1 and FZ2 perform poorly in low light,
have no autofocus assist light and only a very short-ranging
flash.

I can live with that, but improvements are clearly possible.

In spite of all possible shortcomings, I would immediately buy
it again.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Nylon Lover

I got mine on 12/23 at Ritz. This Sat they dropped the price 10%
which is $60US and now throw in a nice custom case. I went back to
Ritz and they gave me the cash and the case. It ROCKS! GREAT Zoom,
great pics! Love it!