Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Opteka

Opteka

Ken Weitzel

Hi...

Does anyone happen to know of a source for Opteka
optical products? Preferably in Canada, if not the
USA of course, but *not* a company called 47st Photo
in New York.

I'm interested in a product they make called a
digital duplicator...

Thanks, and take care.

Ken

Harvey

"Ken Weitzel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Hi...
>
> Does anyone happen to know of a source for Opteka
> optical products? Preferably in Canada, if not the
> USA of course, but *not* a company called 47st Photo
> in New York.
>
> I'm interested in a product they make called a
> digital duplicator...
>
> Thanks, and take care.
>
> Ken

What is the story on 47th Street Photo? They have got them.

Pete

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 07:19:21 GMT, Ken Weitzel wrote:

> Does anyone happen to know of a source for Opteka
> optical products? Preferably in Canada, if not the
> USA of course, but *not* a company called 47st Photo
> in New York.

I made the mistake of buying from 47th St Photo an Opteka tele adapter lens
for my Olympus 7XX digicam. What a piece of cr*p. Magnification less than
advertised, horribly blurred images, and tons of purple fringing. Much
better results cropping/enlarging images taken without the adapter! 47th St
Photo would only refund part of my $$, and they still sell the adapter on
eBay.

Ken Weitzel

Hi...

Pete wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 07:19:21 GMT, Ken Weitzel wrote:
>

>>Does anyone happen to know of a source for Opteka
>>optical products? Preferably in Canada, if not the
>>USA of course, but *not* a company called 47st Photo
>>in New York.

> I made the mistake of buying from 47th St Photo an Opteka tele adapter lens
> for my Olympus 7XX digicam. What a piece of cr*p. Magnification less than
> advertised, horribly blurred images, and tons of purple fringing. Much
> better results cropping/enlarging images taken without the adapter! 47th St
> Photo would only refund part of my $$, and they still sell the adapter on
> eBay.

Double thanks for that info, Pete.

That's exactly what I was going to use for my grand daughter
to copy some slides of her Mother when she was a baby.
Now I know we don't want the product anyway, thanks!

The reason should anyone be interested in why I was
cautious of 47st is they specifically say they'll ship
via (one of the large couriers). I'm in Canada, and
don't want anything shipped from the USA via courier,
so wrote them a polite "ask the seller" asking if they'd
consider shipping via US Postal Service/Canada Post.
They didn't answer, but mail gets lost, so I wrote again.
Again no answer. That raised a caution flag, so I choose
not to deal with them.

Now I guess I have to go find her a scanner with slide
adapter.

Thanks again, and Happy New Year to everybody.

Ken

bonom bonom is offline
Junior Member

Here's the Opteka canadian seller www .henry's.ca (sorry for the link, I can't send it untill I get 50 post)
Also available on ebay

archp2008 archp2008 is offline
Junior Member

Henry's Photo only stocks a dozen or so items made by Opteka and the prices of thse items are a lot higher than at 47th Street. The question I would like answered is how does 47th Street secure this "monopoly" on products from certain manufacturers and, by restricting exports to UPS and their outrageous fees effectively bar Canadians from purchasing them. The other question I would like answered is why something cannot be done to stop couriers such as UPS from economically raping Canadian importers. Disgusting! I am so happy to see the U,S, economy getting worse and worse! I hope it breaks!