Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Settings for a rock concert

Settings for a rock concert

Dulcey

Hello Everyone,

I purchased my first digital camera a few months ago and I've really
enjoyed learning how to take decent pictures. I've learned a lot from you
guys. Thank You. Now that I've buttered you all up, here's my question.

I'll be attending a rock concert Dec 30, in Atlanta, Ga. I'm going to sneak
my Cannon G3 in with me. Could someone please suggest what I settings I
should use to get the best shots.

Thanks in advance,
Dulcey

--
Remember all you love
On Earth and not on Earth

Dave B.

Use of flash my be not allowed so I would suggest cranking up the ISO speed.
Timing may make a difference - wait until stage lighting is at it's
brightest.
Lean against something for stability.
And something I do quite often - take 2 shots at a time - the 2nd shot is
often sharpen than the 1st (less shake)

RAW files may enable you to correct any lighting problems afterwards.

Dave

www.xsync.co.uk

"Dulcey" <dustyandjay*no spam*@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I purchased my first digital camera a few months ago and I've really
> enjoyed learning how to take decent pictures. I've learned a lot from you
> guys. Thank You. Now that I've buttered you all up, here's my question.
>
> I'll be attending a rock concert Dec 30, in Atlanta, Ga. I'm going to

sneak
> my Cannon G3 in with me. Could someone please suggest what I settings I
> should use to get the best shots.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dulcey
>

> --
> Remember all you love
> On Earth and not on Earth
> Be the same even with those you love
> Angels and angels waiting to be

GovtLawyer

>I'll be attending a rock concert Dec 30, in Atlanta, Ga. I'm going to sneak
>my Cannon G3 in with me. Could someone please suggest what I settings I
>should use to get the best shots.

If you can use a flash, great. Whether or not you do, I would try and shoot in
Spot Metering mode. Often, the action you want to capture is in a spotlight,
with huge areas of dark around it. The camera will interpret the whole scene,
sense it as a dark scene needing a long exposure, and you'll end up with either
an overexposed photo or a blurry one. If you use the Spot Metering, the camera
will take an exposure reading from the center spot, which will be focused on
the action you want, and will expose for that; which is what you want. Hope
this is helpful.

Thomas Garner

The other respondants offered some great advise. In addition, I
generally use Manual mode, ISO cranked up 800 or 1600, aperature nearly
wide open f/1.8-4, and shutter speed between 1/50-1/125. I make changes
as needed based on light available in the club, but these are my
starting points. See some samples here
<http://home.comcast.net/%7Ethomasgarner2/>. Hope this helps. Post some
samples if possible.
Tom

Dulcey wrote:

>Hello Everyone,
>
>I purchased my first digital camera a few months ago and I've really
>enjoyed learning how to take decent pictures. I've learned a lot from you
>guys. Thank You. Now that I've buttered you all up, here's my question.
>
>I'll be attending a rock concert Dec 30, in Atlanta, Ga. I'm going to sneak
>my Cannon G3 in with me. Could someone please suggest what I settings I
>should use to get the best shots.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Dulcey

George Kerby

On 12/28/03 8:10 AM, in article mvBHb.482963$Dw6.1413153@attbi_s02, "Dulcey"
<dustyandjay*no spam*@mchsi.com> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I purchased my first digital camera a few months ago and I've really
> enjoyed learning how to take decent pictures. I've learned a lot from you
> guys. Thank You. Now that I've buttered you all up, here's my question.
>
> I'll be attending a rock concert Dec 30, in Atlanta, Ga. I'm going to sneak
> my Cannon G3 in with me. Could someone please suggest what I settings I
> should use to get the best shots.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dulcey

Forget it unless you are in the first ten rows in front of the stage. Also
the built in flash is pretty much worthless after 10-12 feet. Most likely
will get you busted by the "Staff Nazis"...

ratt

>I'll be attending a rock concert Dec 30, in Atlanta, Ga. I'm going to sneak
>my Cannon G3 in with me. Could someone please suggest what I settings I
>should use to get the best shots.

Careful here. Depending on the venue, cameras may not be allowed and
could be confiscated. It often says 'no cameras' on the tickets. If
not, I would call ahead just to be sure.

Dulcey

"ratt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >I'll be attending a rock concert Dec 30, in Atlanta, Ga. I'm going to

sneak
> >my Cannon G3 in with me. Could someone please suggest what I settings I
> >should use to get the best shots.

> Careful here. Depending on the venue, cameras may not be allowed and
> could be confiscated. It often says 'no cameras' on the tickets. If
> not, I would call ahead just to be sure.

I've been to about 20 concerts just in the past few years. They always say
"no cameras" on the tickets. I have my methods of getting a camera in the
venues. They tend to search women a little less than men. Plus, they don't
enforce that rule too much. They are more worried about drugs and weapons
getting in than a camera.
Thanks for the heads-up though.

Thanks for all the suggestions,
Dulcey

EarGuy

"ratt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >I'll be attending a rock concert Dec 30, in Atlanta, Ga. I'm going to

sneak
> >my Cannon G3 in with me. Could someone please suggest what I settings I
> >should use to get the best shots.

> Careful here. Depending on the venue, cameras may not be allowed and
> could be confiscated. It often says 'no cameras' on the tickets. If
> not, I would call ahead just to be sure.

Point and shoot cameras are usually no big deal. Although Celine Dion in
Las Vegas confiscated every single disposable, digital, P&S, you name it,
and yo could claim it after the show with a claim check. Most of the time
it's not a problem.

But become familiar enough with your camera that you can disable the flash,
etc. If possible, set your camera for low light (400 speed, etc) and keep
the shutter fast enough to reasonably stop camera shake. Some cameras don't
have such manual settings, your mileage may vary!

Have fun!

Dave