Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Focusing digital camera

Focusing digital camera

Paul Riemerman

I'm a long-time user of SLR and rangefinder cameras. Recently I inherited a
Fujifilm Finepix A200. I've decided I like digital, but this particular
camera is fixed focus, meaning focus is really good at the macro setting (3
to 6 inches or so) and barely acceptable at 2.5 feet to infinity at the
normal setting. What is a decent quality focusing digital camera that is
economical? I would like to find something akin to an old Canon rangefinder.
I would also appreciate it if someone could mention a general price range --
I'm on a very limited budget. I'm not insistent on any fixed megapixel
ability, just enough to do an 8 by 10 print, or blowing up an image two or
three times.

Paul Riemerman

Mark Grady

Hello Paul,
I can't make a specific camera recommendation. However, I do suggest you
check the reviews at www.steves-digicams.com and www.dpreview.com you can
find camera specific forums for user feedback as well as seemingly good
reviews for a lot of cameras.

"Paul Riemerman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fedbce6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm a long-time user of SLR and rangefinder cameras. Recently I inherited

> Fujifilm Finepix A200. I've decided I like digital, but this particular
> camera is fixed focus, meaning focus is really good at the macro setting

(3
> to 6 inches or so) and barely acceptable at 2.5 feet to infinity at the
> normal setting. What is a decent quality focusing digital camera that is
> economical? I would like to find something akin to an old Canon

rangefinder.
> I would also appreciate it if someone could mention a general price

range --
> I'm on a very limited budget. I'm not insistent on any fixed megapixel
> ability, just enough to do an 8 by 10 print, or blowing up an image two or
> three times.
>
> Paul Riemerman

Chris P in PA

megapixels equals print size - generally speaking you will need 200 or
more DPI per inch of printed picutre - so a 3 megapixel camera does
about 2000 on the long side, so you can get a (barely) acceptable 8x10
from that size. If you crop the pic to remove something or to compose
it better, then you will either have to print 5x7 or get a 4 or 5 or 6
Mp camera.

as to budget..you can spend $100 and up. Check ebay and check on
'remanufactured' or 'refurbished' cameras. I have bought all my
digital cameras that way and have had no problems and saved big bucks.

Do you want pocket sized or more traditional camera size?
what memory format do you prefer, or do you care?
What features are important to you? to show the pics on a tv, manual
modes, external flash, etc, etc.

once you have an idea of what your budget will buy, and what megapixel
size you need, then you can start reading reviews and get an idea of
what you want.

I am not impressed at all by HP or Kodak camera pictures.
Fuji and Canon and Nikon do well. I have seen very few Minolta pics,
but they are a good company so their cameras should be fine.

chris