Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Long Zooms with Image Stabilization

Long Zooms with Image Stabilization

kjk

Hi Folks,

I've been looking at the Olympus C740/C750 because I like the long
38-380 zoom in a small size camera. After doing some experimenting
with my 7x binoculars, however, I realized that it's practically
impossible to hold the image perfectly steady by hand. It appears
that handheld use at maximum zoom would only be practical in fast
shutter speed situations. Does anybody know of any long zoom small
cameras that include an image stabilization feature. Any advice would
be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ken

David J Taylor

> Does anybody know of any long zoom small
> cameras that include an image stabilization feature. Any advice would
> be much appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Ken

Minolta A1

David

Dan Sullivan

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit> wrote in
message news:CRjHb.7106$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Does anybody know of any long zoom small
> > cameras that include an image stabilization feature. Any advice would
> > be much appreciated. Thanks.
> >
> > Ken

> Minolta A1

New Panasonic FZ10

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_.../fz10_pg5.html

Terry

"Dan Sullivan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:v%jHb.426182$(E-Mail Removed) v.net...

> "David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit> wrote in
> message news:CRjHb.7106$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > > Does anybody know of any long zoom small
> > > cameras that include an image stabilization feature. Any advice would
> > > be much appreciated. Thanks.

> > Minolta A1

> New Panasonic FZ10

> http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_.../fz10_pg5.html

I researched the net and went through countless web pages in my quest
to go digital, the c-700 was current back then but it felt entirely wrong in
my hands and then I discovered the C2100UZ, a previous gen camera
with 10X optical with stabilization and decided on it. I have not looked
back

The FZ10 looks great.

Terry

Hans-Georg Michna

kjk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've been looking at the Olympus C740/C750 because I like the long
>38-380 zoom in a small size camera. After doing some experimenting
>with my 7x binoculars, however, I realized that it's practically
>impossible to hold the image perfectly steady by hand. It appears
>that handheld use at maximum zoom would only be practical in fast
>shutter speed situations. Does anybody know of any long zoom small
>cameras that include an image stabilization feature. Any advice would
>be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ken,

beyond 10x zoom there is only one family of image-stabilized
zoom cameras, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ2 with 2 Megapixels and
the considerably bigger FZ10 with 4 Megapixels. Both have a 12x
zoom with image stabilizer made by Leica.

I own the precursor, the now discontinued FZ1, and am very happy
with it. For a few examples you can look at
http://www.michna.com/kenya2003/.

I tested the lens for sharpness and found, to my surprise, that
it is as sharp as I could possibly hope at max zoom and max
aperture (2..

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.