Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon A70/A80 LCD Resolution

Canon A70/A80 LCD Resolution

kjk

Hi Folks,

I notice that the Canon A70/A80 has a lower resolution LCD (78K/67K)
than many of its competitors in that price range. The only
significant downside that I can see to this is that it may be
difficult to check the focus of a picture. Has anybody found this to
be a problem? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ken

Ronald Hands

kjk wrote:

> I notice that the Canon A70/A80 has a lower resolution LCD (78K/67K)
> than many of its competitors in that price range. The only
> significant downside that I can see to this is that it may be
> difficult to check the focus of a picture. Has anybody found this to
> be a problem? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

If they work the same way as my Canon A40, then the best guide to
achieving sharp focus is to watch which focus square on the LCD turns
green. That seems to indicate that it has found focus, and also tells
you what it's focusing on. As I understand it, the camera focuses on
contrasting edges and you can usually see in the LCD, within the green
square, just what it has selected.

-- Ron

bluestringer

"kjk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Folks,
>
> I notice that the Canon A70/A80 has a lower resolution LCD (78K/67K)
> than many of its competitors in that price range. The only
> significant downside that I can see to this is that it may be
> difficult to check the focus of a picture. Has anybody found this to
> be a problem? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Ken

Turn off AiAF, and the single focus square will remain in the center of the
LCD. Press the button half way and when the square turns green you have
focus. You can acheive a better focus point without AiAF.

bluestringer

Dave Martindale

kjk <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>I notice that the Canon A70/A80 has a lower resolution LCD (78K/67K)
>than many of its competitors in that price range. The only
>significant downside that I can see to this is that it may be
>difficult to check the focus of a picture. Has anybody found this to
>be a problem? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

None of the built-in LCDs on any of these cameras is very useful for
critical manual focusing. Whether the LCD has 70 kpixels or 100
kpixels or 200 kpixels, it isn't going to show you whether a 4
megapixel image is as sharp as it can be. If you view the LCD with
unaided eyes, it's going to occupy a tiny fraction of the field of view
of an eventual print. If you use something like a magnifying loupe to
enlarge the LCD to a reasonable field of view, you'll see every pixel
in the LCD, and be very aware that it's low resolution. It just isn't
a substitute for a SLR viewfinder. However, all the cameras in this
price range use small sensors so they have a great depth of field, so
critical focus isn't as important as it would be with a larger sensor
(SLR) camera.

However, you'll use autofocus most of the time with these cameras, and
you can easily tell when the camera thinks it has focused correctly,
and what it has chosen to focus on (if you leave the multi-area
autofocus enabled). If you do use manual focus, you'll get a distance
scale to use, and the centre portion of the image is enlarged somewhat
to help focusing.

Dave

The man

I just bought an A70 for X-mas and love it. I have taken over 400 pictures
since. The hardest part is determining which program to use to take
photo's given your lighting condition and effect you are after. I am still
experimenting with the various programs.

One really great feature is the ability to zoom into the photo you just took
and view the image. Don't worry about the red eyes as they can be removed
with post editing. The movie feature on the A70 (640*480) is COOL.

John
"Dave Martindale" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bskimo$bd5$(E-Mail Removed)...
> kjk <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> >I notice that the Canon A70/A80 has a lower resolution LCD (78K/67K)
> >than many of its competitors in that price range. The only
> >significant downside that I can see to this is that it may be
> >difficult to check the focus of a picture. Has anybody found this to
> >be a problem? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

> None of the built-in LCDs on any of these cameras is very useful for
> critical manual focusing. Whether the LCD has 70 kpixels or 100
> kpixels or 200 kpixels, it isn't going to show you whether a 4
> megapixel image is as sharp as it can be. If you view the LCD with
> unaided eyes, it's going to occupy a tiny fraction of the field of view
> of an eventual print. If you use something like a magnifying loupe to
> enlarge the LCD to a reasonable field of view, you'll see every pixel
> in the LCD, and be very aware that it's low resolution. It just isn't
> a substitute for a SLR viewfinder. However, all the cameras in this
> price range use small sensors so they have a great depth of field, so
> critical focus isn't as important as it would be with a larger sensor
> (SLR) camera.
>
> However, you'll use autofocus most of the time with these cameras, and
> you can easily tell when the camera thinks it has focused correctly,
> and what it has chosen to focus on (if you leave the multi-area
> autofocus enabled). If you do use manual focus, you'll get a distance
> scale to use, and the centre portion of the image is enlarged somewhat
> to help focusing.
>
> Dave

Dave Martindale

"The man" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>One really great feature is the ability to zoom into the photo you just took
>and view the image. Don't worry about the red eyes as they can be removed
>with post editing. The movie feature on the A70 (640*480) is COOL.

The A80 is limited to 320x240 movies at 15 FPS. That must be a
limitation of the larger CCD. (The A80 uses a so-called 1/1.8" CCD,
the same as the G2/G3 and S400, which is physically larger than the
CCD used in the A60 and A70.)

Dave