Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Numbers going up up and away on my F717

Numbers going up up and away on my F717

John

I got a Sony DSC-F717 for Xmas and LOVE IT!!!!!! Printed some 4x6's at
Sams Club and we can't tell the difference between them and film. But
now onto my question.... we shot about 100+ pics on Xmas and they were
numbered (example...DSC00001 through like DSC00100. I formatted the
memory stick and started taking more photos and the numbers started at
DSC00101. Why didn't they reset to DSC00001? What happens when I get
to DSC99999? Camera crashes? How can I force it to start at 0
again?

Big Kahuna

On 26 Dec 2003 19:25:34 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (John) wrote:

>I got a Sony DSC-F717 for Xmas and LOVE IT!!!!!! Printed some 4x6's at
>Sams Club and we can't tell the difference between them and film. But
>now onto my question.... we shot about 100+ pics on Xmas and they were
>numbered (example...DSC00001 through like DSC00100. I formatted the
>memory stick and started taking more photos and the numbers started at
>DSC00101. Why didn't they reset to DSC00001? What happens when I get
>to DSC99999? Camera crashes? How can I force it to start at 0
>again?

The numbering is done by the camera, not the memory stick. When you
hit 10,000 pictures it is suppose to start over.

Stewy

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I got a Sony DSC-F717 for Xmas and LOVE IT!!!!!! Printed some 4x6's at
> Sams Club and we can't tell the difference between them and film. But
> now onto my question.... we shot about 100+ pics on Xmas and they were
> numbered (example...DSC00001 through like DSC00100. I formatted the
> memory stick and started taking more photos and the numbers started at
> DSC00101. Why didn't they reset to DSC00001? What happens when I get
> to DSC99999? Camera crashes? How can I force it to start at 0
> again?

Take a look in the manual. Go into the menu settings and find FILE NUMBER,
set to SERIES numbers are assigned forever upward even if you change the
memory stick, set to NORMAL the numbering will zero each the memory stick is
changed or reformatted.

Ron Hunter

John wrote:

> I got a Sony DSC-F717 for Xmas and LOVE IT!!!!!! Printed some 4x6's at
> Sams Club and we can't tell the difference between them and film. But
> now onto my question.... we shot about 100+ pics on Xmas and they were
> numbered (example...DSC00001 through like DSC00100. I formatted the
> memory stick and started taking more photos and the numbers started at
> DSC00101. Why didn't they reset to DSC00001? What happens when I get
> to DSC99999? Camera crashes? How can I force it to start at 0
> again?

Lave the numbering alone! Being able to reliably put the picture
numbers in order is a valuable tool for keeping them in some order.

Check your manual for the way Sony handles pictures in excess of 99999
but my camera just makes another folder and startes back at 00001.

ian

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I got a Sony DSC-F717 for Xmas and LOVE IT!!!!!! Printed some 4x6's at
> Sams Club and we can't tell the difference between them and film. But
> now onto my question.... we shot about 100+ pics on Xmas and they were
> numbered (example...DSC00001 through like DSC00100. I formatted the
> memory stick and started taking more photos and the numbers started at
> DSC00101. Why didn't they reset to DSC00001? What happens when I get
> to DSC99999? Camera crashes? How can I force it to start at 0
> again?

if you keep resetting the number each time you load pictures to your pc you
run the risk of overwriting the previous pictures. Run to 999999 and then
change the folder to sony#2 and carry on