Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Best MACRO lens for Nikon D100?

Best MACRO lens for Nikon D100?

Laohu

Saturday 27 December 2003 19:53 CST

Hi!

I have a Nikon D100 digital camera and am about to start photographing a
bunch of old family photos to have them digitally available. What macro
lens do you think I need for this purpose? I want to be sure that it is a
G- or D-type lens so I can take advantage of all the features of the D100.
Who carries such an item?

Thanx in advance for your attention,

laohu

[BnH]

Nikon only have around 4 micro lenses.
3 primes, 1 zoom. 60, 105, 200 and 70-180.

If you are digitising old family photo, why don't you use a scanner?
MUCH cheaper than the cheapest micro range + does the job better than using
a DSLR to snap a printed photos.
and btw .. most of them are still not G lens.

=bob=

"Laohu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Saturday 27 December 2003 19:53 CST
>

> Hi!
>

> I have a Nikon D100 digital camera and am about to start photographing a
> bunch of old family photos to have them digitally available. What macro
> lens do you think I need for this purpose? I want to be sure that it is a
> G- or D-type lens so I can take advantage of all the features of the D100.
> Who carries such an item?
>

> Thanx in advance for your attention,
>

> laohu

Gavin Cato

I think a scanner would be better, but if you must - the 60mm f/2.8 macro
lens would be the go.

Gav

"Laohu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Saturday 27 December 2003 19:53 CST
>

> Hi!
>

> I have a Nikon D100 digital camera and am about to start photographing a
> bunch of old family photos to have them digitally available. What macro
> lens do you think I need for this purpose? I want to be sure that it is a
> G- or D-type lens so I can take advantage of all the features of the D100.
> Who carries such an item?
>

> Thanx in advance for your attention,
>

> laohu

Paolo Pizzi

Laohu wrote:

> I have a Nikon D100 digital camera and am about to start
> photographing a bunch of old family photos to have them digitally
> available. What macro lens do you think I need for this purpose? I
> want to be sure that it is a G- or D-type lens so I can take
> advantage of all the features of the D100. Who carries such an item?
>

> Thanx in advance for your attention,

The Micro 60mm is your best option.

Paul Rubin

"Laohu" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I have a Nikon D100 digital camera and am about to start
> photographing a bunch of old family photos to have them digitally
> available. What macro lens do you think I need for this purpose? I
> want to be sure that it is a G- or D-type lens so I can take
> advantage of all the features of the D100. Who carries such an
> item?

Use a scanner if you can.

Howard McCollister

Laohu wrote:

> > I have a Nikon D100 digital camera and am about to start
> > photographing a bunch of old family photos to have them digitally
> > available. What macro lens do you think I need for this purpose? I
> > want to be sure that it is a G- or D-type lens so I can take
> > advantage of all the features of the D100. Who carries such an item?

The Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G is an excellent lens. Very sharp and cost effective.
The 105 micro is also highly thought of and might give you better working
disance.

However, you will find that a macro lens isn't really at it's best when
doing flat work. If all you are doing is photographing photographs, you
would be far better off spending your $350 on a flatbed scanner.

HMc