Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > olympus 5050 question

olympus 5050 question

someone

owner of olympus 5050, what is the max ISO it can support? I heard it does
ISO 6400 in RAW mode. how is the picture at that setting?

Alan D-W

"someone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> owner of olympus 5050, what is the max ISO it can support? I heard it does
> ISO 6400 in RAW mode. how is the picture at that setting?

Owner of the camera but not, apparently, the manual?
Max ISO = 400.
Max RAW ISO = 400
Alan.

Mark Johnson

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (someone) wrote:

>owner of olympus 5050, what is the max ISO it can support? I heard it does
>ISO 6400 in RAW mode. how is the picture at that setting?

I think noise reduction programs might refer to enhanced sensitivity,
and maybe the Oly Camedia software (which I've basically never used)
talks about 6400 ISO. I don't know. But in the camera, you get 100,
200, and 400. And 400 can get real noisy. Noise Ninja, Neat Image,
Quantuum Mechanic Pro, and others can deal with that. But it might not
be automatic. The advantage of RAW is that it takes right off the CCD.
It's a 5MP image. So the RAW should be about 5Meg. It's actually about
7, I guess to provide enough info for the Bayer method to get the red
and blue for each pixel. But it bypasses all the firmware sharpening
in the camera. And that's, in the Oly case, what can really introduce
noise. But you can find noise in the RAW, too, when you start working
on it, particularly at 400 ISO. But you're in control of it, don't
have to exaggerate its appearance, and can try to remove it.

If you can't use flash, the only alternative in 2003/2004, might be to
consider a dSLR, like a Canon 10D, perhaps (?), and shoot low noise
and high ISO without a flash. But it's three times the 'street price'
of a 5050. So, see if the RAW is suitable, with a little noise
reduction and selective dodging and burning, as it were, in PS.

David J Taylor

> The advantage of RAW is that it takes right off the CCD.
> It's a 5MP image. So the RAW should be about 5Meg. It's actually about
> 7, I guess to provide enough info for the Bayer method to get the red
> and blue for each pixel.

Only if it was 8 bits, would 5MP => 5MB. I thought that RAW offered a
greater bit depth, and that was its main advantage?

David

Matti Vuori

Mark Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):
> It's a 5MP image. So the RAW should be about 5Meg. It's actually about
> 7, I guess to provide enough info for the Bayer method to get the red
> and blue for each pixel.

No. It's because the RAW file has 12 bits per pixel, which has nothing to
do with the sensor layout.

> If you can't use flash, the only alternative in 2003/2004, might be to
> consider a dSLR, like a Canon 10D, perhaps (?), and shoot low noise
> and high ISO without a flash. But it's three times the 'street price'
> of a 5050.

I don't know about your street, but Canon D300/Digital Rebel with a lens
seems to cost "only" twice the 5050.

--
Matti Vuori, <http://sivut.koti.soon.fi/mvuori/index-e.htm>

someone

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 11:27:52 -0000, "Alan D-W" <(E-Mail Removed)>
posted:

>"someone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> owner of olympus 5050, what is the max ISO it can support? I heard it does
>> ISO 6400 in RAW mode. how is the picture at that setting?

>Owner of the camera but not, apparently, the manual?
>Max ISO = 400.
>Max RAW ISO = 400
>Alan.

I don't have the 5050, which is why I'm asking. I do have the s602z, f717
and a203 in use.

someone

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 04:27:10 -0800, Mark Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)>
posted:

>(E-Mail Removed) (someone) wrote:
>
>>owner of olympus 5050, what is the max ISO it can support? I heard it does
>>ISO 6400 in RAW mode. how is the picture at that setting?

>I think noise reduction programs might refer to enhanced sensitivity,
>and maybe the Oly Camedia software (which I've basically never used)
>talks about 6400 ISO. I don't know. But in the camera, you get 100,
>200, and 400. And 400 can get real noisy. Noise Ninja, Neat Image,
>Quantuum Mechanic Pro, and others can deal with that. But it might not
>be automatic. The advantage of RAW is that it takes right off the CCD.
>It's a 5MP image. So the RAW should be about 5Meg. It's actually about
>7, I guess to provide enough info for the Bayer method to get the red
>and blue for each pixel. But it bypasses all the firmware sharpening
>in the camera. And that's, in the Oly case, what can really introduce
>noise. But you can find noise in the RAW, too, when you start working
>on it, particularly at 400 ISO. But you're in control of it, don't
>have to exaggerate its appearance, and can try to remove it.

so it is a software function only? not true iso 6400. very disappointing.

>If you can't use flash, the only alternative in 2003/2004, might be to
>consider a dSLR, like a Canon 10D, perhaps (?), and shoot low noise
>and high ISO without a flash. But it's three times the 'street price'
>of a 5050. So, see if the RAW is suitable, with a little noise
>reduction and selective dodging and burning, as it were, in PS.

I am. saving up for a d100 now. the only other iso 6400 camera seems to be
the d2h, which is way above my budget.

JK

The Digital Rebel is under $1000 with a lens. I doubt that you could
buy a new C5050 with USA warranty for under $500.

Mark Johnson wrote:

> Matti Vuori <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Mark Johnson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >news:(E-Mail Removed) :

> >I don't know about your street, but Canon D300/Digital Rebel with a lens
> >seems to cost "only" twice the 5050.

> I see the C5050s going for about 450, maybe 500, on ebay. I see the
> 10D going for 1500, and the D300 for about 1100. Of course, it varies
> wildly depending on the week, or maybe even the hour it closes. And of
> course, with the latter, they have to have the lenses, and maybe more
> than just the plastic 'kit lens'. But it's more than double. Remember,
> I said the 10D.

Charlie Dilks

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (someone) wrote:

> owner of olympus 5050, what is the max ISO it can support? I heard it does
> ISO 6400 in RAW mode. how is the picture at that setting?

Shooting in manual and RAW mode I did some tests.

Here is a shot at ISO 3200
http://tinyurl.com/vlud

and one at ISO 12,800
http://tinyurl.com/vluj

I was seeing just how far it would go. I didn't resize and compile one
for 6400, but it looked like one between the two I showed.

I converted them to grayscale because the colors were really messed up
and I'm not good enough at judging colors to fix them.
--
Charlie Dilks
Newark, DE USA

Travis

someone wrote:
> owner of olympus 5050, what is the max ISO it can support? I
> heard it does ISO 6400 in RAW mode. how is the picture at that
> setting?

How did you get the camera without the manual?