Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What lens for the Canon 300D?

What lens for the Canon 300D?

Visen

Hello,
This summer I bough the Digital Rebel Kit with the EF-S 18-50mm lens.
Now im looking to replace with a similar "all-around" lens but with better optics(sharpness).

For now I am considering the Canon EF 28-135mm USM IS lens.
Would this lens give me noticeably sharper, better shots then the kit lens?

Would especially like to hear from 300D owners who replaced their kit
lens with something else....

Thanks.

Banjopikr1

>Would especially like to hear from 300D owners who replaced their kit
>lens with something else....

I did not replace my "Kit" lens, but did buy another, 75-300, IS USM lens. It
is excellent. However, I got very good results with the 18-55 lens also.

Ken

Visen wrote:

> Hello,
> This summer I bough the Digital Rebel Kit with the EF-S 18-50mm lens.
> Now im looking to replace with a similar "all-around" lens but with better optics(sharpness).
>
> For now I am considering the Canon EF 28-135mm USM IS lens.
> Would this lens give me noticeably sharper, better shots then the kit lens?

The 28-135mm USM IS is an excellent and sharp lens.
Roger
Many images on my web site were done with this lens:
http://www.clarkvision.com

dylan

Take a look at
http://www.photographyreview.com/psc...28-135mm,f-3.5
-5.6,IS,USM/PRD_83415_3128crx.aspx#reviews, interesting that reviews vary
from 1/5 to 5/5 !. Maybe there's an issue with particular camera bodies or
lenses ?

"Visen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:L1OGb.23425$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hello,
> This summer I bough the Digital Rebel Kit with the EF-S 18-50mm lens.
> Now im looking to replace with a similar "all-around" lens but with better

optics(sharpness).

> For now I am considering the Canon EF 28-135mm USM IS lens.
> Would this lens give me noticeably sharper, better shots then the kit

lens?

> Would especially like to hear from 300D owners who replaced their kit
> lens with something else....
>
> Thanks.

Bill Jones

In article <L1OGb.23425$(E-Mail Removed)>, vbrnic20
@studentXXX.scadYYY.eduZZZnospam says...
> Hello,
> This summer I bough the Digital Rebel Kit with the EF-S 18-50mm lens.
> Now im looking to replace with a similar "all-around" lens but with better optics(sharpness).
>
> For now I am considering the Canon EF 28-135mm USM IS lens.
> Would this lens give me noticeably sharper, better shots then the kit lens?
>
> Would especially like to hear from 300D owners who replaced their kit
> lens with something else....
>
> Thanks.

http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon...0D_lenses.html

John Llort

"Visen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:L1OGb.23425$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hello,
> This summer I bough the Digital Rebel Kit with the EF-S 18-50mm lens.
> Now im looking to replace with a similar "all-around" lens but with better

optics(sharpness).

> For now I am considering the Canon EF 28-135mm USM IS lens.
> Would this lens give me noticeably sharper, better shots then the kit

lens?

> Would especially like to hear from 300D owners who replaced their kit
> lens with something else....
>
> Thanks.

I suspect this is your first slr, What are the shutter speeds of your
average shots, no the 28-135mm USM IS lens is not better only has IS for
camera shake since that lens is slow, you should be getting good pictures
with the 18-50 lens, I suspect a procedure problem.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <MPG.1a55eb3771ccbd9f989692@news>,
Bill Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <L1OGb.23425$(E-Mail Removed)>, vbrnic20
> @studentXXX.scadYYY.eduZZZnospam says...
> > Hello,
> > This summer I bough the Digital Rebel Kit with the EF-S 18-50mm lens.
> > Now im looking to replace with a similar "all-around" lens but with better
> > optics(sharpness).
> >
> > For now I am considering the Canon EF 28-135mm USM IS lens.
> > Would this lens give me noticeably sharper, better shots then the kit lens?
> >
> > Would especially like to hear from 300D owners who replaced their kit
> > lens with something else....
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon...0D_lenses.html

Good link.

I purchased a Tamron 28-200 to go with the kit's 18-55. Both are poor
quality lenses but their light weight, range, and expendability make
them a perfect duo for hiking, beaches, parties and amusement parks.
Actually, the kit 18-55 would be a good lens if the focus assembly
didn't sag or wobble out of focus.

Now I'm looking for better lenses for indoors and road trips.

DHB

"Now I'm looking for better lenses for indoors and road trips."

Might I suggest the Canon 50mm f1.8 II which will act much like an 80mm
on the 300D/10D. This lens should cost you no more than $70 USD & will
likely be the fastest lens in your bag.

Existing light indoor shots with this lens are rather easy if you set
the ISO to 800. If you have a very stead handhold technique or brace
against something ISO 400 can yield quality pictures depending on the
lighting & how quickly your
subject(s) move(s). ISO 1600 has noticeable & IMHO objectionable noise so I
try to avoid it wherever possible & yes I have a quality noise reduction
program but find it better to avoid noise whenever possible rather than to
attempt to correct it latter.

IMHO a Canon 50mm f1.8 II ($70 USD) is something every 300D/10D owner
should strongly consider. Yes it's a light plastic bodied lens but it's
optics are outstanding & even if I wear mine out in 2 to 4 years, I think it
would have been money well spent! Never though I would like a 50mm lens so
much but on my 300D it is a great everyday lens for many situations
especially in low light / existing light photography which I enjoy so much.

Hope this is of some value.

Respectfully, DHB

"Kevin McMurtrie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <MPG.1a55eb3771ccbd9f989692@news>,
> Bill Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <L1OGb.23425$(E-Mail Removed)>, vbrnic20
> > @studentXXX.scadYYY.eduZZZnospam says...
> > > Hello,
> > > This summer I bough the Digital Rebel Kit with the EF-S 18-50mm lens.
> > > Now im looking to replace with a similar "all-around" lens but with

better
> > > optics(sharpness).
> > >
> > > For now I am considering the Canon EF 28-135mm USM IS lens.
> > > Would this lens give me noticeably sharper, better shots then the kit

lens?

> > > Would especially like to hear from 300D owners who replaced their kit
> > > lens with something else....
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > >

> > http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon...0D_lenses.html

> Good link.
>
> I purchased a Tamron 28-200 to go with the kit's 18-55. Both are poor
> quality lenses but their light weight, range, and expendability make
> them a perfect duo for hiking, beaches, parties and amusement parks.
> Actually, the kit 18-55 would be a good lens if the focus assembly
> didn't sag or wobble out of focus.
>
> Now I'm looking for better lenses for indoors and road trips.

ricardo

For what its worth, I use the kit 18-55mm, 28-105mm 3.5/5.6 usm II and
the 75-300 usm II. This gives a nice 28-480mm range which should cover
most needs.

Richard Alexander
I.D.I.G
D.A.P.A

"DHB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<yckHb.6987$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Now I'm looking for better lenses for indoors and road trips."
>
> Might I suggest the Canon 50mm f1.8 II which will act much like an 80mm
> on the 300D/10D. This lens should cost you no more than $70 USD & will
> likely be the fastest lens in your bag.
>
> Existing light indoor shots with this lens are rather easy if you set
> the ISO to 800. If you have a very stead handhold technique or brace
> against something ISO 400 can yield quality pictures depending on the
> lighting & how quickly your
> subject(s) move(s). ISO 1600 has noticeable & IMHO objectionable noise so I
> try to avoid it wherever possible & yes I have a quality noise reduction
> program but find it better to avoid noise whenever possible rather than to
> attempt to correct it latter.
>
> IMHO a Canon 50mm f1.8 II ($70 USD) is something every 300D/10D owner
> should strongly consider. Yes it's a light plastic bodied lens but it's
> optics are outstanding & even if I wear mine out in 2 to 4 years, I think it
> would have been money well spent! Never though I would like a 50mm lens so
> much but on my 300D it is a great everyday lens for many situations
> especially in low light / existing light photography which I enjoy so much.
>
> Hope this is of some value.
>
> Respectfully, DHB
>

> "Kevin McMurtrie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In article <MPG.1a55eb3771ccbd9f989692@news>,
> > Bill Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > In article <L1OGb.23425$(E-Mail Removed)>, vbrnic20
> > > @studentXXX.scadYYY.eduZZZnospam says...

> better

> lens?

> > > http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon...0D_lenses.html

> > Good link.
> >
> > I purchased a Tamron 28-200 to go with the kit's 18-55. Both are poor
> > quality lenses but their light weight, range, and expendability make
> > them a perfect duo for hiking, beaches, parties and amusement parks.
> > Actually, the kit 18-55 would be a good lens if the focus assembly
> > didn't sag or wobble out of focus.
> >
> > Now I'm looking for better lenses for indoors and road trips.

The Big Cheese

"Visen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>This summer I bough the Digital Rebel Kit with the EF-S 18-50mm lens.
>Now im looking to replace with a similar "all-around" lens but with better optics(sharpness).
>
>For now I am considering the Canon EF 28-135mm USM IS lens.
>Would this lens give me noticeably sharper, better shots then the kit lens?
>
>Would especially like to hear from 300D owners who replaced their kit
>lens with something else....

The 28-125 is in no way a replacement for the 18-55. The IS lens will have no
wide-angle focal lengths on a DRebel. If you never take pictures at these
focal lengths, you are OK but I take 75% of my pictures at wide angle
settings.

What makes you think your problems are caused by the lens? The tests I've
seen in the photo magazines claim the lens is sharp.

--
The Big Cheese