Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon G5 or Sony F717 ?

Canon G5 or Sony F717 ?

Tom

I want to buy a new camera and i am thinking of either a Canon G5 or a Sony
F717. I have read all of the reviews yet i still can't decide. Those of you
that own either of these two cameras what do you think of them ?

GAH

The G5 is a bit easier to carry around, so if having a smaller camera (but
not much smaller) is important to you, go that route.

The 717 has a superior laser focusing system (for low light), and the
ability to use filters without an adapter, + slightly longer zoom.

Between these two, it's my personal opinion that I'd go with the 717.

Greg
---------

> I want to buy a new camera and i am thinking of either a Canon G5 or a

Sony
> F717. I have read all of the reviews yet i still can't decide. Those of

you
> that own either of these two cameras what do you think of them ?

Rick

"GAH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:hMrGb.8356$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> "Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > I want to buy a new camera and i am thinking of either a Canon G5 or a Sony
> > F717. I have read all of the reviews yet i still can't decide. Those of you
> > that own either of these two cameras what do you think of them ?

> The G5 is a bit easier to carry around, so if having a smaller camera (but
> not much smaller) is important to you, go that route.
>
> The 717 has a superior laser focusing system (for low light), and the
> ability to use filters without an adapter, + slightly longer zoom.
>
> Between these two, it's my personal opinion that I'd go with the 717.

The 717 has more bells and whistles, but pathetic color response
and produces lifeless, monochromatic images compared to the G5.
If you want great results straight out of the camera, without post
processing then get the G5.

If you do a lot of low-light shooting, the 717 does have a superior
focusing system as GAH mentioned. Also, in most cases its images
can be fixed with a decent graphics editor.

Rick

GAH

Rick... it should be noted however, that the G5 tends to show more chromatic
aberrations in it's high contrast images than the 717 does, and as you
mentioned, images can be boosted and saturated very easily in an image
editor. I personally find the extra features of the 717 would outweigh any
small amounts of post processing you would have to do.

Greg

news:bsdiiq$c53qu$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "GAH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:hMrGb.8356$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> > "Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > I want to buy a new camera and i am thinking of either a Canon G5 or a

Sony
> > > F717. I have read all of the reviews yet i still can't decide. Those

of you
> > > that own either of these two cameras what do you think of them ?

> > The G5 is a bit easier to carry around, so if having a smaller camera

(but
> > not much smaller) is important to you, go that route.
> >
> > The 717 has a superior laser focusing system (for low light), and the
> > ability to use filters without an adapter, + slightly longer zoom.
> >
> > Between these two, it's my personal opinion that I'd go with the 717.

> The 717 has more bells and whistles, but pathetic color response
> and produces lifeless, monochromatic images compared to the G5.
> If you want great results straight out of the camera, without post
> processing then get the G5.
>
> If you do a lot of low-light shooting, the 717 does have a superior
> focusing system as GAH mentioned. Also, in most cases its images
> can be fixed with a decent graphics editor.
>
> Rick

Mark Johnson

"Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I want to buy a new camera and i am thinking of either a Canon G5 or a Sony
>F717. I have read all of the reviews yet i still can't decide. Those of you
>that own either of these two cameras what do you think of them ?

Some have said the G5 is noisy. I don't know. I've handled the 717 is
all. I don't own one. But it seemed kind of chinsy, and plastic. And
the controls are poorly placed. But it does appear to have a
stabilized zoom lens and some ability to knock out the built-in IR
filter if you want to try 'art' photos. That might be enough to pick
it over the G5?

GAH

Mark,

It's not a "stabilized" zoom lens in the sense that the cameras offers an
image stabilization feature. However, since it's a "two handed" camera,
some feel that this lends to a more stable hold of it since your left hand
is devoted to holding the lens barrel. There are actually very few consumer
level cameras that currently offer an actual image stabilization feature,
but they're nice to have. The camera is actually made of a composite
material (not plain plastic), and it's tougher than it feels.

Greg

----------

"Mark Johnson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Tom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I want to buy a new camera and i am thinking of either a Canon G5 or a

Sony
> >F717. I have read all of the reviews yet i still can't decide. Those of

you
> >that own either of these two cameras what do you think of them ?

> Some have said the G5 is noisy. I don't know. I've handled the 717 is
> all. I don't own one. But it seemed kind of chinsy, and plastic. And
> the controls are poorly placed. But it does appear to have a
> stabilized zoom lens and some ability to knock out the built-in IR
> filter if you want to try 'art' photos. That might be enough to pick
> it over the G5?

Peter Gordon

"GAH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:IwDGb.8689$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net:

> Rick... it should be noted however, that the G5 tends to show more
> chromatic aberrations in it's high contrast images than the 717
> does, and as you mentioned, images can be boosted and saturated
> very easily in an image editor. I personally find the extra
> features of the 717 would outweigh any small amounts of post
> processing you would have to do.

The G5 is my first digital camera, thus I can't compare it to
any other digital cameras, including the 717.

I don't find the chromatic abberation a problem in most situations.
The thing that bugs me most, are the jaggies. Any straight edge is
woeful. Also, there is something odd about the processing algorithm
used by Canon. Any fabric with a noticable weave pattern shows
severe banding. This occurs even at superfine, (i.e. very little
jpeg compression) settings. I don't think that it is a jpg artifact.
Check the brick work on the image of a church on dpreview. It shows
a similar effect to that obtained when photographing a model in say
a coarse woven cotton top.

As mentioned previously, I can't compare it with other cameras, and
these problems may be just a fact of life with all digital cameras.

Overall, I am happy with the camera. It is easy to use and usually
produces an excellent image, even when used as a point and shoot
camera. There are sufficient settings to make it adaptable to
most types of photography. The instruction manual is good.
Zoombrowser, the supplied software, is woeful.

Cheers,

Peter Gordon

Larry Lynch

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Some have said the G5 is noisy. I don't know. I've handled the 717 is
> all. I don't own one. But it seemed kind of chinsy, and plastic. And
> the controls are poorly placed. But it does appear to have a
> stabilized zoom lens and some ability to knock out the built-in IR
> filter if you want to try 'art' photos. That might be enough to pick
> it over the G5?

The 717 is Magnesium Alloy not plastic.
--
Larry Lynch
Lasting Imagery

Big Kahuna

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 17:08:05 -0500, Larry Lynch
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Some have said the G5 is noisy. I don't know. I've handled the 717 is
>> all. I don't own one. But it seemed kind of chinsy, and plastic. And
>> the controls are poorly placed. But it does appear to have a
>> stabilized zoom lens and some ability to knock out the built-in IR
>> filter if you want to try 'art' photos. That might be enough to pick
>> it over the G5?
>>

>The 717 is Magnesium Alloy not plastic.

I find the controls are pretty well placed once you remember what is
where.

Larry Lynch

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
bigkahunafl@{nospam}hotmail.com says...
> I find the controls are pretty well placed once you remember what is
> where.

Same here! Once you get used to the odd shape of the
camera, you find that everything is where it needs to
be, at least for me.

It did take some getting used to (about a full day of
shooting) but I have learned to love its ergonomics.
Funny thing is, it didn't seem to spoil me for using a
more conventional design. Just like learning how to fish
didn't make me forget how to ride a bike.
--
Larry Lynch
Lasting Imagery