Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Fast DSLR?

Fast DSLR?

Hogleg44/40

Hello, All!

Which DSLR in the $1000-$2000 price range has the fastest image capture
ability. I have a Sony 707 which is much faster than my previous
digicameras, but I still miss a lot of shots of playing grandchildren
because of the lag.
Am thinking presently of the EOS-10D Cannon.
Any input will be apreciated.

With best regards,
Paul

Howard McCollister

"Hogleg44/40" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8lpGb.2111$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hello, All!
>
> Which DSLR in the $1000-$2000 price range has the fastest image capture
> ability. I have a Sony 707 which is much faster than my previous
> digicameras, but I still miss a lot of shots of playing grandchildren
> because of the lag.
> Am thinking presently of the EOS-10D Cannon.
> Any input will be apreciated.

Fuji S2 Pro, Nikon D100, Canon 10. All the same as far as image capture
goes. All good cameras. Blindingly fast with no perceptable shutter lag
compared to your Sony 707.

HMc

Tony Spadaro

The 10D is fast and other cameras in the same class like the D100 Nikon
would be too. The 10D is based on the Elan and is a great camera at a good
price. The 300D is a slower interface although it would still be much faster
than your current camera.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
"Hogleg44/40" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8lpGb.2111$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hello, All!
>
> Which DSLR in the $1000-$2000 price range has the fastest image capture
> ability. I have a Sony 707 which is much faster than my previous
> digicameras, but I still miss a lot of shots of playing grandchildren
> because of the lag.
> Am thinking presently of the EOS-10D Cannon.
> Any input will be apreciated.
>
> With best regards,
> Paul

PlaneGuy

I don't know the specs for the Fuji of Nikon bodies, but expect them to be
very similar to the 10D in terms of speed of capture - ie shutter lag, in
which all of them have almost no lag, and frames per second - probably
around the 3fps.

The Canon 300D (DRebel) has a slightly slower frames per second rate than
the 10D, in that it is about 2.5fps.

Now, the other thing to consider is buffer size - how many images you can
take at the top speed, until the buffer is full. Now I don't know the
numbers off the top of my head, so you should check out dpreview.com for the
specs

Hogleg44/40

Thanx for the fast replies Guys,
What you are saying is about what I expected, experienced response from
users means a whole lot.
The buffer size is not a big issue to me (at this point). I seldom take the
pics in a very rapid sequence, and the only way the 707 holds me up is
waiting for the built in flash to charge....
Now to figure out what lenses???

Y'all have a Very Merry Christmas and a Terrific New Year.
Paul

Hogleg44/40 wrote:

> Thanx for the fast replies Guys,
> What you are saying is about what I expected, experienced response from
> users means a whole lot.
> The buffer size is not a big issue to me (at this point). I seldom take the
> pics in a very rapid sequence, and the only way the 707 holds me up is
> waiting for the built in flash to charge....
> Now to figure out what lenses???

I recommend the canon 28-135 IS (image stabilization) lens.
For the Canon 10D, D60, d-rebel, the pixel spacing is 7.4
microns. You need a sharp lens to get sharp pictures.
Many of the consumer lenses are not sharp enough in my
opinion. The 28-135 is quite sharp. The 10D has a 9-frame
buffer, which you will find you may need during critical
action (like baby's first steps). The IS gives you sharper
pictures while hand holding. Buy a fast memory card to support
the 9-frame buffer (3 frames per second). Note the DSLRs have
not movie mode (at least canons don't).

Roger
Photos at: http://www.clarkvision.com

Howard McCollister

"Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hogleg44/40 wrote:
>
> > Thanx for the fast replies Guys,
> > What you are saying is about what I expected, experienced response from
> > users means a whole lot.
> > The buffer size is not a big issue to me (at this point). I seldom take

the
> > pics in a very rapid sequence, and the only way the 707 holds me up is
> > waiting for the built in flash to charge....
> > Now to figure out what lenses???

> I recommend the canon 28-135 IS (image stabilization) lens.
> For the Canon 10D, D60, d-rebel, the pixel spacing is 7.4
> microns. You need a sharp lens to get sharp pictures.
> Many of the consumer lenses are not sharp enough in my
> opinion. The 28-135 is quite sharp. The 10D has a 9-frame
> buffer, which you will find you may need during critical
> action (like baby's first steps). The IS gives you sharper
> pictures while hand holding. Buy a fast memory card to support
> the 9-frame buffer (3 frames per second). Note the DSLRs have
> not movie mode (at least canons don't).

OTOH, the Fuji S2 Pro demonstrates sharper images, better resolution and
noise performance that is markedly superior to the 10D (and D100). One added
benefit to Nikon lenses is that there are three different manufacturers that
make camera bodies using those lenses. Your lenses will be your major
expense. With Nikon lenses you are not locked into a single camera body
manfuacturer's opinion of what you want or need in a dSLR body.

As a counterpart to the Canon 28-135, I would recomment the Nikon 24-120VR,
easily its equal. Or if you into sports phtography, the 70-200VR simply
blows it away.

HMc

Gavin Cato

hiya

The D100 is the fastest of the lot in that bracket, it's not a massive
difference though between them in broad daylight. In lower light the D100 is
a fair bit better.

The important thing is the lens, i.e. the D100 with the Nikon 70-200VR lens
is a killer combo for action.

Read this ;

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=5850861

Cheers

Gav

"Hogleg44/40" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8lpGb.2111$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hello, All!
>
> Which DSLR in the $1000-$2000 price range has the fastest image capture
> ability. I have a Sony 707 which is much faster than my previous
> digicameras, but I still miss a lot of shots of playing grandchildren
> because of the lag.
> Am thinking presently of the EOS-10D Cannon.
> Any input will be apreciated.
>
> With best regards,
> Paul

MarkH

"Gavin Cato" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:3fea7dcd$(E-Mail Removed):

> The D100 is the fastest of the lot in that bracket, it's not a massive
> difference though between them in broad daylight. In lower light the
> D100 is a fair bit better.
>
> The important thing is the lens, i.e. the D100 with the Nikon 70-200VR
> lens is a killer combo for action.
>
> Read this ;
>
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=5850861

I read that but as a 10D user I couldn’t agree with any of it.

The start up time of the 10D from when you turn it on is a non issue, so is
the startup time after it goes to sleep. I set mine to 30 min sleep time,
so it never turns itself off unless I accidentally leave it on when I put
it in the bag. When I take it out of the bag I turn it on and I leave it
on till I return it to the bag. The battery lasts for ages anyway.

I get fast and accurate focus from the 28-135 lens even indoors where the
only light is from a 25 watt bulb.

The 10D ergonomics are good and it is a very easy camera to handle.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
understand binary and those that don't"

DHB

Paul,
you got a lot of good advice. If you get the Canon 10D, I agree
100% that the Canon 28-135mm IS lens recommendation but would also strongly
suggest the Canon 50mm f1.8 II lens. This will likely be your fastest lens
& on the 10D it will have an effective focal length of 80mm due to the FOV
1.6x crop factor.

This is a great performing lens especially when you consider that it
cost about $70 USD brand new. It focuses very quickly because it's such a
bright lens & at an effective 80mm, makes for a very fast portrait/candid
close-up lens. IMHO this should be a must have lens in every 300D/10D
camera bag.

That said, save up for a quality very wide angle zoon lens if wide angle
is something you want. The 1.6x FOV crop factor goes in your favor if you
shoot telephoto most of the time but it works against you if you want wide
angle. So it forces you to get a wider angle lens just to get a wide angle
shot out of it, i.e.. 17mm equiventant to 27.2mm lens.

If money were not an issue I would have gone with the 10D myself but
jumped at the 300D & spent the difference on lenses & accessories like the
battery grip. If you can afford the 10D, I think it's the better option
because as your skills grow the camera will have the features you will want
to use. I wish my 300D had spot metering like the 10D does but I've learned
to live without it in most situations. Aside from this & the poor indoor
AWB which is easily corrected by setting & using a custom WB or by shooting
in RAW mode, I am very pleased with the 300D's performance. In general
whatever positive things can be said of the 300D also apply to the 10D as
well!

Best wishes & happy picture taking!

Respectfully, DHB

news:bselpr$ub1$(E-Mail Removed)...