Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > powershot G3 vs G2 vs A80

powershot G3 vs G2 vs A80

A. Buratynski

So, now that the A80 has been around for a while, does anyone have
further opinions?

I'm looking at three Cannon 4mp cameras: the A80, the S45 and the G2.
I can get the first two new, and the third used, all for essentially
the same price. There seems to be very little difference between the
three - they all have the features I'm looking for.

Any recommendations?

ehurwitz

I have a G2 that I have been using for a couple of years. It is an
extremely capable and versatile camera. It has a hot shoe, so it can accept
Canon dedicated flash units. With a 420EX flash and a bracket, it can
produce professional results.

If you don't want the expandability, the A80 looks like a great little
camera for regular family use, and it has the newer DIGIC processor. I'm
not familiar with the S45.

A. Buratynski <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> So, now that the A80 has been around for a while, does anyone have
> further opinions?
>
> I'm looking at three Cannon 4mp cameras: the A80, the S45 and the G2.
> I can get the first two new, and the third used, all for essentially
> the same price. There seems to be very little difference between the
> three - they all have the features I'm looking for.
>
> Any recommendations?

DHB

A. Buratynski,
your subject line stated the G3 vs G2 but your text
message talks about the G2 which I suspect is what you are referring to
since you said you could get it used for essentially the same price. If you
can buy the G3 that would be IMHO your best option among these choices if
it's a possibility. If it's not than the next best choice if I were you,
would be to buy the G2 if I knew it was in good shape & fully operational &
it meets your needs.

The G2 offers some advantages over the other considerations.

<1> G2 has a the fastest lens of the 3 options.

<2> G2 will accepts dedicated Canon flash units.

<3> G2 can capture in RAW mode as can the S45 but not the A80.

<4> G2 & A80 both more easily accept aux. lens & filter add-ons.

The bottom line with any purchase is to compare the features & than see
which camera best matches your expected needs. The G2 & G3 are both larger
boxier cameras than the A80 or S45, so this is something to consider. If
you have large packets, the A80 & S45 may fit but the G2 or G3 won't, so if
this is an issue, consider it before you decide.

Here are 2 sights that you may find helpful. The 1st will let you do a
side by side comparison of all 3 or 4 cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

This 2nd 1 has detailed reviews that are more like mini instruction
manuals which will help you get a better idea of ease of use.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

Lastly, after you buy 1 don't second guess yourself. Learn the camera
that you purchased as well as you can & enjoy it to the MAX.! There will
always be something better down the road but if what you have meets your
needs it does not matter what else comes out after you buy your camera until
what you have no longer meets "your needs"!

Respectfully, DHB

"A. Buratynski" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> So, now that the A80 has been around for a while, does anyone have
> further opinions?
>
> I'm looking at three Cannon 4mp cameras: the A80, the S45 and the G2.
> I can get the first two new, and the third used, all for essentially
> the same price. There seems to be very little difference between the
> three - they all have the features I'm looking for.
>
> Any recommendations?

Guiness!

Thanks both for your advice. I had been to the dpreview sight, but
hadn't seen the comparison feature.

Yes, you're right - I'm not considering the G3. I should've changed
the subject line of the post I was replying to.

The only thing that is really pulling me towards the G2 is the faster
lens, and the hot shoe. The ability to pocket the others is attracive.

I think you both answered my real question - was the (newer) A80 so
far advanced that it has left the older models behind, but it doesn't
seem like it - so I will just make my decision based on the small
difference in features.

Canon sure isn't making it easy though, with four models so close to
each other.