Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Displaying still digital photos on an HDTV set.

Displaying still digital photos on an HDTV set.

OnlySoSo

I'm interested in a mechanism to display a digital photo slide show on an
HDTV set in as high a resolution as possible. I'm a newbie to this hobby
(aint it great!) and am probably just missing the obvious but I'm surprised
at the degradation in resolution in viewing digital slide shows on a TV
after viewing it on a PC display. I receive blank stares when I've asked the
question to photo or electronics retailers.

It seems to me some digital slide show process should be able to support
HDTV output.

Thanx for any help.

steve

I agree!

With the increasing number of HD capable TV sets in homes one would
think that someone would develop a device that could generate component
output HDTV still images from a compact flash or other memory card.

I have not yet seen such a device but believe that it would not be
difficult to make one --

Perhaps some electronics manufacturer would step up to the plate on this
and make such a device.

I think that one issue will be either standardizing on a single image
size format to convert to HD, or building in the capability to
automatically resize any format image to the appropriate size and aspect
ratio for HDTV display.

Many digital cameras have the capability to create images with more
pixels than can be displayed on a HD set, so there would be some image
manipulation required in most cases.

steve

OnlySoSo wrote:
> I'm interested in a mechanism to display a digital photo slide show on an
> HDTV set in as high a resolution as possible. I'm a newbie to this hobby
> (aint it great!) and am probably just missing the obvious but I'm surprised
> at the degradation in resolution in viewing digital slide shows on a TV
> after viewing it on a PC display. I receive blank stares when I've asked the
> question to photo or electronics retailers.
>
> It seems to me some digital slide show process should be able to support
> HDTV output.
>
> Thanx for any help.

Markeau

Some of the ATI Radeon series of PC graphic cards can output to an
HDTV:
http://mirror.ati.com/products/hdtvadapter/faq.html

You might also post in the ati ng:
alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati

"OnlySoSo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gVjGb.170$(E-Mail Removed)
> I'm interested in a mechanism to display a digital photo slide show
> on an HDTV set in as high a resolution as possible. I'm a newbie to
> this hobby (aint it great!) and am probably just missing the obvious
> but I'm surprised at the degradation in resolution in viewing

digital
> slide shows on a TV after viewing it on a PC display. I receive

blank
> stares when I've asked the question to photo or electronics

retailers.

> It seems to me some digital slide show process should be able to
> support HDTV output.
>
> Thanx for any help.

Samuel Paik

"OnlySoSo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm interested in a mechanism to display a digital photo slide show on an
> HDTV set in as high a resolution as possible. I'm a newbie to this hobby
> (aint it great!) and am probably just missing the obvious but I'm surprised
> at the degradation in resolution in viewing digital slide shows on a TV
> after viewing it on a PC display. I receive blank stares when I've asked the
> question to photo or electronics retailers.
>
> It seems to me some digital slide show process should be able to support
> HDTV output.

What is HDTV output? Some High Definition monitors have (analog) VGA
inputs, some have DVI inputs, and some have the consumer component inputs.
With a VGA or DVI input, you simply need to get your display card to output
an HDTV compatible scan rate. The best software I know of to do that
is Entech's PowerStrip. Google for it, it works with many graphics chips
and cards. Graphics chip and board manufacturers are catching on to HDTV
and some offer component video outputs, at least as an option. ATI
has a number of boards which do so.

Sam

Ron Hunter

OnlySoSo wrote:

> I'm interested in a mechanism to display a digital photo slide show on an
> HDTV set in as high a resolution as possible. I'm a newbie to this hobby
> (aint it great!) and am probably just missing the obvious but I'm surprised
> at the degradation in resolution in viewing digital slide shows on a TV
> after viewing it on a PC display. I receive blank stares when I've asked the
> question to photo or electronics retailers.
>
> It seems to me some digital slide show process should be able to support
> HDTV output.
>
> Thanx for any help.

Take a look at the resolution offered by HDTV and your questions will
answer themselves. Even HDTV doesn't come close to matching the
resolution of a digital picture from even a 2 mp camera.

ineedcables

Hi,

I wanted to mention that some Tvs, for example some of the Sony's,
allow you to insert the memory card from your camera directly into the
TV (it has a slot on the front), and you can watch slideshows of your
pictures that way, without even needing a computer.

I haven't done this myself, but I have seen the television sets
around, and it seems like a very nice and convenient idea.

-N

Do You Need Cables?
http://www.ineedcables.com

"OnlySoSo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<gVjGb.170$(E-Mail Removed)>.. .
> I'm interested in a mechanism to display a digital photo slide show on an
> HDTV set in as high a resolution as possible. I'm a newbie to this hobby
> (aint it great!) and am probably just missing the obvious but I'm surprised
> at the degradation in resolution in viewing digital slide shows on a TV
> after viewing it on a PC display. I receive blank stares when I've asked the
> question to photo or electronics retailers.
>
> It seems to me some digital slide show process should be able to support
> HDTV output.
>
> Thanx for any help.

Dave Martindale

"OnlySoSo" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>I'm interested in a mechanism to display a digital photo slide show on an
>HDTV set in as high a resolution as possible. I'm a newbie to this hobby
>(aint it great!) and am probably just missing the obvious but I'm surprised
>at the degradation in resolution in viewing digital slide shows on a TV
>after viewing it on a PC display. I receive blank stares when I've asked the
>question to photo or electronics retailers.

Why not connect your PC to your HDTV? Most relatively recent frame
buffers sould be able to produce 1080 (visible) line video at one of
the horizontal timings that your HDTV supports. Ideally, you'd use
1920x1080 pixels, since that makes the pixels on screen square and your
camera delivers square pixels. But it's possible to deal with
non-square pixels too (e.g. 1280x1024 filling the screen).

Dave