Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Should I buy the Kodak DX4530...

Should I buy the Kodak DX4530...

Marcus Fox

Or stick with the Canon Powershot A70 that I was going to get. I saw the
Kodak for 198.90 and it's 5MP, whereas the A70 is 270 and 3.2MP. I am very
confused as I have never owned a digital camera before, hope someone can
shed some light on this or offer some opinions.

Many thanks.

Marcus

james roboto

kodaks are cheap. Never kept one more than a couple of weeks. Nice toys
though.

"Marcus Fox" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:NhiGb.9968$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Or stick with the Canon Powershot A70 that I was going to get. I saw the
> Kodak for 198.90 and it's 5MP, whereas the A70 is 270 and 3.2MP. I am

very
> confused as I have never owned a digital camera before, hope someone can
> shed some light on this or offer some opinions.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Marcus

?

"james roboto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> kodaks are cheap. Never kept one more than a couple of weeks. Nice toys
> though.

An off the wall observation with no proof. Much the same as that given by
our friend George_Preddy. Admittedly some Kodaks leave much to be desired,
but I had a DC-215 years back that served me well and was certainly not
cheaply made and was not a toy. If you are looking at them via Jessops have
them let you take a shot inside using each and print them. I am sure they
have a Fuij Frontier in house.

Regards,
Ed

> "Marcus Fox" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:NhiGb.9968$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Or stick with the Canon Powershot A70 that I was going to get. I saw the
> > Kodak for 198.90 and it's 5MP, whereas the A70 is 270 and 3.2MP. I am

> very
> > confused as I have never owned a digital camera before, hope someone can
> > shed some light on this or offer some opinions.
> >
> > Many thanks.
> >
> > Marcus

Larry Lynch

In article <NhiGb.9968$FN.6082@newsfep4-
winn.server.ntli.net>, please-reply-via-newsgroup-th@-i-
posted-to.com says...
> Or stick with the Canon Powershot A70 that I was going to get. I saw the
> Kodak for 198.90 and it's 5MP, whereas the A70 is 270 and 3.2MP. I am very
> confused as I have never owned a digital camera before, hope someone can
> shed some light on this or offer some opinions.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Marcus

The 4530 is an excellent little pocket camera, if you
are satisfied with Auto-everything.

It has the best auto-white balance I hve EVER seen, and
I've got a few top end digital Point & Shoot cameras.

The only options on the Kodak 4530 are Scene modes
(action/twilight/macro/landscape/video ect)

Flash modes (auto/auto w/red eye reduction/slow
sync/flash off, and the slow shutter speed (which must
be re-set any time you need it).

It shoots a fairly clean (low noise) 5mp image, with
good color.

3x zoom is good, anything more would need a REALLY
steady hand or a tripod anyway.

It can use AA rechargeables OR a special Kodak battery,
and SD or MMC memory, it also has (I think) 32mb
internal memory which can be read at the same time as
the SD memory.

I purchased the 4530 to replace my wifes camera, but so
far I've had enough fun with it to consider getting a
second one for her, and keeping the first one to have a
camera that fits in a shirt pocket but still takes a
good (read that as "useable") picture.

Canon and Olympus BOTH make cameras that fit in a pocket
and are ready on a moments notice just like the Kodak,
and they take GREAT pictures, but they are NOT (AFAIK)
as inexpensive as the Kodak.

I haven't used the Canon you mentioned so someone else
can fill you in on what it can do.

Any answers to any camera questions that label a
particular brand as "ALL JUNK" or "ALL TOYS", should be
discounted right down to the value of the gas that
passes after you have a baked bean dinner.
--
Larry Lynch
Lasting Imagery

Peri

Larry Lynch wrote:
> The 4530 is an excellent little pocket camera, if you
> are satisfied with Auto-everything.

Larry, I have to second your opinion. I needed a fairly light, fairly small
POINT & SHOOT camera, and was able to pick this one up for less than $270, or
about the same as some of the better 3 mp models I was looking at.

If you're okay with a generally automatic camera (about which I find many
frequent contributors to this group to be generally disdainful, which is their
right but certainly not helpful to those of us who are less than power-users),
I, for one, don't think you can find a better deal.

It takes very nice, high quality shots, with great color. The "extra"
megapixels allow for cropping without significant loss of quality, and the menus
and controls are easy to use. I also like that it uses only two batteries (as
opposed to the four the Canon takes), and it's a bit lighter fully loaded. I
also like that it uses SD or MMC cards instead of XD, which was what I needed
for the Olympus I also liked.

Think about what's important to YOU, and try to find a camera that matches. I
found that the things most highly touted about the A70 were features I would
never find myself using. For me, ease of use (without sacrificing much in the
way of picture quality) and more mps were more important. The DX4530 easily fit
the bill.

~ Peri

Dazed

In article <NhiGb.9968$(E-Mail Removed)>, please-

> Or stick with the Canon Powershot A70 that I was going to get. I saw the
> Kodak for 198.90 and it's 5MP, whereas the A70 is 270 and 3.2MP. I am very
> confused as I have never owned a digital camera before, hope someone can
> shed some light on this or offer some opinions.

I just bought the A80 4Mpix from Amazon for 269.29 (223 for the A70
IIRC), took 2 days to deliver from Saturday. It's got lots of manual
settings and also full auto, I've never used a digital camera before and
set it to macro, focused a bit and this is the best picture I managed in
1hr. I didn't set the contrast thing correctly though.

http://www.dazed.dsl.pipex.com/JD.jpg

--
Dazed

Remove 'NOSPAMX' to reply by E-Mail.

Larry Lynch

In article <eJjGb.391823$655.87989303
@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

Snipage of stuff I agree with!!!

> Think about what's important to YOU, and try to find a camera that matches. I
> found that the things most highly touted about the A70 were features I would
> never find myself using. For me, ease of use (without sacrificing much in the
> way of picture quality) and more mps were more important. The DX4530 easily fit
> the bill.
>
> ~ Peri

I must admit to being totally blown away by the quality
of the images it gets.

I normally use a Sony Cyberview 717, and a Sony Mavicam
cd500 (BOTH of which are top end 5 mp P&S cameras) and a
Fuji S5000, So Im kind of USED to getting pretty
images. the Kodak was bought for my wife to use, and she
NEVER follows the rules, always shooting whit no light
or to far away for the flash to work using a Pentax
automatic 35mm "pocket" camera.

For every 24 exposure roll she usually got 2 or 3 USABLE
pictures. I figured it was cheaper to give her a
digital, and save the film/processing money.

So thats the story, I bought it because it was
INEXPENSIVE, and for no other reason, THEN I got
pleasantly surprised by it.

It seems well built, its already been knocked off the
counter (by a cat named Dr. Destructo for obvious
reasons)onto the Tile floor (38" drop) and suffered no
damage, and works fine.
--
Larry Lynch
Lasting Imagery

Ron Hunter

Marcus Fox wrote:
> Or stick with the Canon Powershot A70 that I was going to get. I saw the
> Kodak for 198.90 and it's 5MP, whereas the A70 is 270 and 3.2MP. I am very
> confused as I have never owned a digital camera before, hope someone can
> shed some light on this or offer some opinions.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Marcus

The Kodak 4530 looks to be a great buy. My only complaint about it is
that it has no integrated lens protection. 5 mp is a definite
advantage over 3.2 mp.
I would expect you to be happy with either choice.

Ron Hunter

Dazed wrote:

> In article <NhiGb.9968$(E-Mail Removed)>, please-
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>

>>Or stick with the Canon Powershot A70 that I was going to get. I saw the
>>Kodak for 198.90 and it's 5MP, whereas the A70 is 270 and 3.2MP. I am very
>>confused as I have never owned a digital camera before, hope someone can
>>shed some light on this or offer some opinions.

> I just bought the A80 4Mpix from Amazon for 269.29 (223 for the A70
> IIRC), took 2 days to deliver from Saturday. It's got lots of manual
> settings and also full auto, I've never used a digital camera before and
> set it to macro, focused a bit and this is the best picture I managed in
> 1hr. I didn't set the contrast thing correctly though.
>
> http://www.dazed.dsl.pipex.com/JD.jpg

Perhaps if you had left the JD bottle full the picture would be better.
Grin.

Still, the price you paid for the A80 is 50% higher than that for the
Kodak 4530. If you want to pay that much more to be able to make manual
adjustments, it's you money. (OR it WAS your money....)