Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Printing very large image

Printing very large image

Doug Welzel

I have a set of photos that were scanned at very high resolution (2400
dpi, 5x5ish size). When I try to print them using Photoshop using an
Epson 890 the resulting image is quite grainy. I do no expand or
shrink the image, just try to print as is.

Oddly, these images come out much more grainey than the ones from my
simple 2 megapixel digital camera.

Any thoughts on what could be happening?

Thanks!

Mick Ruthven

If you mean that you scanned 5x5 prints, then the grain is from the print.
High quality scans come from scanning slides or negatives, not prints.

"Doug Welzel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I have a set of photos that were scanned at very high resolution (2400
> dpi, 5x5ish size). When I try to print them using Photoshop using an
> Epson 890 the resulting image is quite grainy. I do no expand or
> shrink the image, just try to print as is.
>
> Oddly, these images come out much more grainey than the ones from my
> simple 2 megapixel digital camera.
>
> Any thoughts on what could be happening?
>
> Thanks!

LauraK

>I have a set of photos that were scanned at very high resolution (2400
>dpi, 5x5ish size). When I try to print them using Photoshop using an
>Epson 890 the resulting image is quite grainy. I do no expand or
>shrink the image, just try to print as is.
>
>Oddly, these images come out much more grainey than the ones from my
>simple 2 megapixel digital camera.

If you're scanning prints, you'll get better results at a much lower resolution
-- 300 ppi.

http://www.madmousergraphics.com
web design, print design, photography

Kevin McMurtrie

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) (Doug Welzel) wrote:

> I have a set of photos that were scanned at very high resolution (2400
> dpi, 5x5ish size). When I try to print them using Photoshop using an
> Epson 890 the resulting image is quite grainy. I do no expand or
> shrink the image, just try to print as is.
>
> Oddly, these images come out much more grainey than the ones from my
> simple 2 megapixel digital camera.
>
> Any thoughts on what could be happening?
>
> Thanks!

You have accurate reproductions of grainy photos. Having the negatives
scanned with a proper film scanner will produce better results. Using a
camera with a larger film format produces the best results.