Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital Image Recovery

Digital Image Recovery

Peter

I saved a number of photos to my CD-RW and when I attempted to copy
most of them to my hard drive I get an error message: "unable to copy
files: invalid ms-dos function." Other photos copied without any
problem. I also attempted renamed the photos and I got the message"
cannot rename filename : Files on this CD-ROM drive are read only. You
cannot copy or move files over to this CD-ROM drive". I checked the
properties (which revealed nothing unusual). I can not open those JPEG
pictures with image viewer either, all to no avail. Any help would be
appreciated.

Brian Collingwood

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I saved a number of photos to my CD-RW and when I attempted to copy
> most of them to my hard drive I get an error message: "unable to copy
> files: invalid ms-dos function." Other photos copied without any
> problem. I also attempted renamed the photos and I got the message"
> cannot rename filename : Files on this CD-ROM drive are read only. You
> cannot copy or move files over to this CD-ROM drive". I checked the
> properties (which revealed nothing unusual). I can not open those JPEG
> pictures with image viewer either, all to no avail. Any help would be
> appreciated.

In Explorer, right-click on the image filename - in the popup menu
left-click on "properties", then uncheck the file attribute that may be set
to "read only"

good luck

Brian

Paul Heslop

Peter wrote:

> I saved a number of photos to my CD-RW and when I attempted to copy
> most of them to my hard drive I get an error message: "unable to copy
> files: invalid ms-dos function." Other photos copied without any
> problem. I also attempted renamed the photos and I got the message"
> cannot rename filename : Files on this CD-ROM drive are read only. You
> cannot copy or move files over to this CD-ROM drive". I checked the
> properties (which revealed nothing unusual). I can not open those JPEG
> pictures with image viewer either, all to no avail. Any help would be
> appreciated.

There's a group for stuff like this

alt.comp.periphs.cdr

If you don't get a good answer here try there and good luck

--
Paul.
to look at

Cambium

You won't be able to rename files on your CD. They will
remain read-only because your computer cannot write to the
CD after the CD has been 'closed'. I would suggest copying
the whole CD to a directory in your hard drive. You might
need some utility like Copy CD that you can download a demo
version of from the internet. When the files are on your
computer hard drive, you should be able to rename them or
somehow get at the data.

Good luck

"Brian Collingwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I saved a number of photos to my CD-RW and when I

attempted to copy
> > most of them to my hard drive I get an error message:

"unable to copy
> > files: invalid ms-dos function." Other photos copied

without any
> > problem. I also attempted renamed the photos and I got

the message"
> > cannot rename filename : Files on this CD-ROM drive are

read only. You
> > cannot copy or move files over to this CD-ROM drive". I

checked the
> > properties (which revealed nothing unusual). I can not

open those JPEG
> > pictures with image viewer either, all to no avail. Any

help would be
> > appreciated.

> In Explorer, right-click on the image filename - in the

popup menu
> left-click on "properties", then uncheck the file

attribute that may be set
> to "read only"
>
> good luck
>
> Brian

Brian Collingwood

Didn't Peter say it was a CD-RW? - not a CD-R

Why wouldn't he be able to write back to it? - if he formatted ut as a
"data" disc.

Brian

"Cambium" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news05Gb.795181$pl3.218639@pd7tw3no...
> You won't be able to rename files on your CD. They will
> remain read-only because your computer cannot write to the
> CD after the CD has been 'closed'. I would suggest copying
> the whole CD to a directory in your hard drive. You might
> need some utility like Copy CD that you can download a demo
> version of from the internet. When the files are on your
> computer hard drive, you should be able to rename them or
> somehow get at the data.
>
> Good luck
>

> "Brian Collingwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > > I saved a number of photos to my CD-RW and when I

> attempted to copy
> > > most of them to my hard drive I get an error message:

> "unable to copy
> > > files: invalid ms-dos function." Other photos copied

> without any
> > > problem. I also attempted renamed the photos and I got

> the message"
> > > cannot rename filename : Files on this CD-ROM drive are

> read only. You
> > > cannot copy or move files over to this CD-ROM drive". I

> checked the
> > > properties (which revealed nothing unusual). I can not

> open those JPEG
> > > pictures with image viewer either, all to no avail. Any

> help would be
> > > appreciated.

> > In Explorer, right-click on the image filename - in the

> popup menu
> > left-click on "properties", then uncheck the file

> attribute that may be set
> > to "read only"
> >
> > good luck
> >
> > Brian

y_p_w

Brian Collingwood wrote:
> Didn't Peter say it was a CD-RW? - not a CD-R
>
> Why wouldn't he be able to write back to it? - if he formatted ut as a
> "data" disc.
>
> Brian

CD-RW's are somewhat unreliable for stuff like DirectCD
or the like. Does Roxio still support DirectCD? I
remember my DirectCD disc almost crapping out. Reads
were rather unreliable, but I was able to recover most
of the stuff I was saving on a CD-RW.

Second - the CD-RW might have been "closed" for further
writes, in which case it would have to be erased before
writing to it again.

> "Cambium" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news05Gb.795181$pl3.218639@pd7tw3no...
>
>>You won't be able to rename files on your CD. They will
>>remain read-only because your computer cannot write to the
>>CD after the CD has been 'closed'. I would suggest copying
>>the whole CD to a directory in your hard drive. You might
>>need some utility like Copy CD that you can download a demo
>>version of from the internet. When the files are on your
>>computer hard drive, you should be able to rename them or
>>somehow get at the data.
>>
>>Good luck
>>

>>"Brian Collingwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>"Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) e.com...

>>attempted to copy

>>"unable to copy

>>without any

>>the message"

>>read only. You

>>checked the

>>open those JPEG

>>help would be

>>>In Explorer, right-click on the image filename - in the

>>popup menu
>>
>>>left-click on "properties", then uncheck the file

>>attribute that may be set
>>
>>>to "read only"
>>>
>>>good luck
>>>
>>>Brian

Marvin Margoshes

"Brian Collingwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Didn't Peter say it was a CD-RW? - not a CD-R
>
> Why wouldn't he be able to write back to it? - if he formatted ut as a
> "data" disc.
>
> Brian

It depends on the software. With the software I now have, I have to copy
the folder that the file is in to my hrad drive, edit the file, then copy
the folder back to the CD-RW. The software substitutes a whole folder, but
not a single file in a folder.

Brian Collingwood

"Marvin Margoshes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Brian Collingwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Didn't Peter say it was a CD-RW? - not a CD-R
> >
> > Why wouldn't he be able to write back to it? - if he formatted ut as a
> > "data" disc.
> >
> > Brian

> It depends on the software. With the software I now have, I have to copy
> the folder that the file is in to my hrad drive, edit the file, then copy
> the folder back to the CD-RW. The software substitutes a whole folder,

but
> not a single file in a folder.

Seems very strange to me. While I'm not a computer expert, when I format
the CD-RW as a data disc I can read and write to it just like I can to any
other drive - hard drive - floppy - etc.

Any software on my machine treats the CD-RW in this way - as another drive.

Brian