Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > full digital zoom on high res cameras?

full digital zoom on high res cameras?

gt

I'm finding that at high resolution, some cameras only fully utilize the
digital zoom when camera is set at a lower resolution..

Makes very little sense to me. Is this fact pretty much across the board?

thanx

NJH

"gt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:X%ZFb.38846$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> I'm finding that at high resolution, some cameras only fully utilize the
> digital zoom when camera is set at a lower resolution..
>
> Makes very little sense to me. Is this fact pretty much across the board?
>
> thanx

Whether the camera is "set at a lower resolution" or not, it will
necessarily GO to a lower resolution when digital zoom is used. Digital zoom
works by enlarging a smaller area of the image on the sensor. The more the
zoom, the smaller the area used, and therefore the lower the true
resolution. Some cameras inflate this by adding in more pixels (essentially
by guesswork), but this gives image quality inferior to an optical zoom, and
the more the digital zoom the worse it gets. This is the "there's no such
thing as a free lunch" principle at work.

Neil