Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > No one speaks english anymore??

No one speaks english anymore??

Ron Hunter

Charlie Self wrote:

> Ron Hunter writes:
>

>>Some do, some don't. Some even refuse to use capitals, and punctuation.
>> Ever read anything by James Joyce?
>>

> A lot. None of it twice.
>
> Charlie Self
>
> "Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
> Alexander Hamilton
>
> http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

I didn't either. Just illustrating that some people express themselves
differently, and literature is available with the same features.

Lionel

Kibo informs me that "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> stated that:

> Frank,
>Come to little old England our customer services in banking, insurance and
>telephone companies are mainly, or soon going to be, in India.
>
>Where they speak pucker English ( sounds like Welsh accent).

Oh dear.
I think you mean 'pukkha', also known in England as 'Bombay Welsh'.

> The trouble
>with this is, they are probably better educated that the people they serve.

Or even the people they argue with on Usenet.

>They are mainly university graduates and the money they earn is better that
>the indigenous work available locally can pay, but its cheaper for our
>industries to do this and soon nobody will be working in England.
>
>I feel sorry for them and us as we cant get past them to talk to management
>in England and they will have to answer the phone to irate people thousands
>of miles away all day every day until they retire.
>
>At least the Americans look after their own,

Hahahaha! - America was the first country to outsource tech-support work
to India.

>or do they, Is it cheap labour
>wage slaves in India and the Hispanics in America that caused them to do
>what they end up doing?!

Greedy bosses, IMO.

Ron Hunter

Charlie Self wrote:

> Eric Witte notes:
>

>>If you go to school English is the primary language. They just have
>>to also print in Spanish to be "fair". I still do not think the US
>>has claimed an Official Language though. English is just an
>>unofficial official language.

> 'to be fair." Maybe we should have been fair to the influx of Italians, Scots,
> Irish, Swedes, Danes, Germans, et al who helped settle the country without ANY
> help from the government.
>
> Charlie Self
>
> "Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
> Alexander Hamilton
>
> http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Yes, but they learned English, at least most of them. There are still
parts of Texas where German is the most common language heard.

Lionel

Kibo informs me that "Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> stated
that:

> It doesn't matter. Just because the topic is photography doesn't mean we
>can't ever talk about some thing else.

Well no, photographic topics often drift towards things that are
off-topic. Nonetheless, it's extremely bad manners to deliberately start
a very off-topic thread in a topical newsgroup.

>Not my fault, sorry.

Well, it is, actually. You chose to start a new, very off-topic thread.
Nobody forced you to do so.

zbzbzb

>In some, it already IS the official language. In Texas, the law
>requires printing in Spanish, but it does NOT require printing in
>English.... Children are REQUIRED to learn Spanish in school, Spanish
>speaking children are NOT rquired to learn English. So what does that
>tell you?

Sounds bizarre. Are you sure you are 100% correct on that? 100%?

Paul Heslop

Michael wrote:

> It doesn't matter. Just because the topic is photography doesn't mean we
> can't ever talk about some thing else. Many people responded with some good
> information and their ideas about the whole thing. It was interesting
> reading. Also, don't blame me because you read some thing that didn't have
> anything to do with photography. I made sure my subject in the original post
> was accurate and you still read it. Not my fault, sorry.

but why here? Surely there's a group where this twaddle is more appropriate? It
has absolutely NO relevance, unless you were complaining about not being able to
be understood in your local camera shop. What this is, plain and simple, is
trolling.

--
Paul.
to look at

zbzbzb

>'to be fair." Maybe we should have been fair to the influx of Italians,
>Scots,
>Irish, Swedes, Danes, Germans, et al who helped settle the country without
>ANY
>help from the government.
>
>Charlie Self

Exactly. The "fair" being spoken of is usually the catering that mostly
liberals do in order to garner votes in our ridiculously politically correct
world. Look at the recently ousted governor of California and how he actually
granted illegal immigrants the right to have a drivers licenses. Same thing.
Much of it also comes from the growing hispanic community itself that thinks
that anything that adversely affects them is racially motivated.

zbzbzb

>Not exactly. English may be the more common language, but Spanish is
>mandatory, and English is NOT. Children who speak Spanish are NOT
>required to learn English. The government is NOT required to print
>notices in English. It DOES, but there is no legal requirement that
>spells out such a requirement.

Show some proof of that. Sounds to bizarre to believe.

Andy Blanchard

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 15:50:55 GMT, Paul Heslop
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Michael wrote:
>and you forgot to ask whether they sold digital cameras?

He probably asked about a digital camera, or an accessory for one, but
didn't understand the replies:

Michael: "Is this lens any good?"
Manuel: "Eeesa Seegma."
Michael: "Pardon?"
Manuel: "Eeee-saaa Seeeeg-maaa."

Andy

zbzbzb

>> Let me ask...is it appropriate for people that do not speak
>> the English language correctly to insult or be arrogant to some one that
>> does in an English speaking country?

>Let me ask... do they teach people in the US to use paragraphs in
>their text?
>
>Frank

Nope, we just put together words as they pop into our heads between grunts and
chirps. We usually write with crayons too. Chalk isn't too bad either.

Did anyone ever teach you how to address someone without being insulting to
many others? Of course that may have been your intention.