Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > No one speaks english anymore??

No one speaks english anymore??

Ron Hunter

Michael wrote:

> Ok, since a lot of people abroad from America probably read this group I'm
> going to post it here and hopefully get some good feedback. I was born and
> raised on the East Coast of the US. I grew up in not so nice neighborhoods
> so I have some street smarts and I'm aware of what's going on out there. I
> am not a prejudice person. I've worked since I was legally able to and the
> feds have been sucking taxes out of me ever since. I currently live in
> Central NJ, where it's busy and crowded. I've realized that most stores,
> fast food establishments, gas stations, service companies, anything that's
> retail the people that work there do not speak much English. Today I was
> shopping and tried to ask some questions about a product that was being
> sold. The sales associate had a very strong accent and I couldn't understand
> him. He actually got upset with me because I couldn't understand what he was
> saying. Another sales associate came over which had an accent himself, but
> not as strong as the first guy. The second gentlemen was hard to understand
> also. For some reason these two guys got arrogant with me because I couldn't
> understand them! I believe it was a Spanish accent. I indicated to them that
> I wanted to speak to an English speaking sales associate and they got
> offended and tried to play it off that I was prejudice and didn't like
> Hispanics. My god, all I wanted was some questions answered about a product.
> To my disbelief the store supervisor was understandable, but also had a
> heavy accent. Let me ask...is it appropriate for people that do not speak
> the English language correctly to insult or be arrogant to some one that
> does in an English speaking country? Last time I checked when I saw the
> President on TV he was speaking English with no accent. I want to know why
> in the hell would these Hispanic employees get mad at me because I don't
> understand them?

Well, you must have missed hearing the president speak for quite a
while. George Bush, being from Texas, as I am, does have quite an
accent, which he doesn't try to hide. Note that George also speaks
passable Spanish, probably with a terrible accent.

Do they think I'm going to actually learn their language or
> feel ashamed that I didn't understand them? I would think they would be
> ashamed because they can't speak the English language correctly, buy lemme
> tell you...they have no shame whatsoever.

You should live here. The people who live on both sides of me are
Hispanic, and one of them, the nicest lady you could want to know,
speaks only a little English, even after 3 years here. Some people just
have a problem learning another language.

This is just one small incident
> that happens to me on a daily basis. I refuse to buy fast food at
> drive-throughs anymore. If you don't speak Spanish, you'll never get what
> you want. When you purchase gasoline (in NJ you can't pump yourself) you
> have to tell the attendant 5 times what you want and speak like you are
> talking to a 5 year old. I think I'm getting a little frustrated nowadays
> that these companies don't care if their employees don't even speak the
> language correctly as long as they take the cheapest salary I guess. If I
> were to move to another country I would certainly learn and be fluent in
> that language and make sure I was ashamed if I couldn't speak it correctly.
> I have no sympathy or feelings for these type (not all of them) of people
> anymore that don't care.

I feel pretty much the same way. IF I were planning to live in another
country, I would make it my FIRST priority to learn the basics of their
language before moving there, and abandon my native language completely
until I achieved unconscious fluency in theirs. That is the main
problem with many immigrants into the US today. They expect US to
accomodate them, rather than to merge into the 'melting pot'.

So what does this have to do with photography?

Ron Hunter

Povl H. Pedersen wrote:

> On 2003-12-23, Michael <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>... Let me ask...is it appropriate for people that do not speak
>>the English language correctly to insult or be arrogant to some one that
>>does in an English speaking country? Last time I checked when I saw the
>>President on TV he was speaking English with no accent. I want to know why
>>in the hell would these Hispanic employees get mad at me because I don't
>>understand them?

> There are US states with more people speaking spanish than english,
> and spanish will probably become the 2nd official language in those
> states within a few years, and later your 2nd national language.
>
> Have it from "completely unbiased" american friends from last time I
> was in Arnieland.

In some, it already IS the official language. In Texas, the law
requires printing in Spanish, but it does NOT require printing in
English.... Children are REQUIRED to learn Spanish in school, Spanish
speaking children are NOT rquired to learn English. So what does that
tell you?

Frank van der Pol

Michael schreef in bericht <(E-Mail Removed)>:

> Let me ask...is it appropriate for people that do not speak
> the English language correctly to insult or be arrogant to some one that
> does in an English speaking country?

Let me ask... do they teach people in the US to use paragraphs in
their text?

Frank

Mike

"Frank van der Pol" <frank@_remove.this_digitalefotografie.com> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Michael schreef in bericht <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
> > Let me ask...is it appropriate for people that do not speak
> > the English language correctly to insult or be arrogant to some one that
> > does in an English speaking country?

> Let me ask... do they teach people in the US to use paragraphs in
> their text?

Frank,
Come to little old England our customer services in banking, insurance and
telephone companies are mainly, or soon going to be, in India.

Where they speak pucker English ( sounds like Welsh accent). The trouble
with this is, they are probably better educated that the people they serve.

They are mainly university graduates and the money they earn is better that
the indigenous work available locally can pay, but its cheaper for our
industries to do this and soon nobody will be working in England.

I feel sorry for them and us as we cant get past them to talk to management
in England and they will have to answer the phone to irate people thousands
of miles away all day every day until they retire.

At least the Americans look after their own, or do they, Is it cheap labour
wage slaves in India and the Hispanics in America that caused them to do
what they end up doing?!

MikeS

Jim Townsend

Michael wrote:

> Snipped 40 solid lines of text without a single break.

paragraph

n : one of several distinct subdivisions of a text intended to
separate ideas; the beginning is usually marked by a new
indented line

Mark Herring

Well, where to start?

1. Yes, you have a point. We're a great melting pot.
Personally, I don't get upset at all the different cultures, but it is
disturbing that our laws and customs are inconsistent. Witness the
driver's license issue in CA.

2. Doesn't the same thing happen in a lot of big cities around
the world?

3. Admire your comment about learning the language if you moved
somewhere else. Most Americans do not have that attitude.

4. Dubya speaks English??---Not anytime I heard him speak.

5. Finally, please be aware that your written English is not that
great. You have one big run-on paragraph, plus some very clumsy
sentence structures and grammatical errors. You might want to
consider getting your own house in order.
**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Michael

I wrote that last post in about 3 minutes. I type faster then most
people speak. My grammar was sloppy, but I didn't need to be correct to get
my point across.

I also heard that a Cuban refugee once steps foot on American soil get's
asylum here, $5000 and free healthcare. If this is true, I want some of that
action. When I was born, I didn't get free money and healthcare. My parents
just got a large bill from the hospital. Strange. Maybe I need to move to
Wyoming in the middle of no where. I think I'll be happier there and I'm
sure there's plenty to take pictures of.

Having different cultured people here from other countries is not what
bothers me. I indicated this in my original post. It's the fact that I get
an arrogant attitude and treated badly because I can't understand their
native language.

"Mark Herring" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, where to start?
>
> 1. Yes, you have a point. We're a great melting pot.
> Personally, I don't get upset at all the different cultures, but it is
> disturbing that our laws and customs are inconsistent. Witness the
> driver's license issue in CA.
>
> 2. Doesn't the same thing happen in a lot of big cities around
> the world?
>
> 3. Admire your comment about learning the language if you moved
> somewhere else. Most Americans do not have that attitude.
>
> 4. Dubya speaks English??---Not anytime I heard him speak.
>
> 5. Finally, please be aware that your written English is not that
> great. You have one big run-on paragraph, plus some very clumsy
> sentence structures and grammatical errors. You might want to
> consider getting your own house in order.
> **************************
> Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
> Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

PhotoMan

"Povl H. Pedersen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 2003-12-23, Michael <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > ... Let me ask...is it appropriate for people that do not speak
> > the English language correctly to insult or be arrogant to some one that
> > does in an English speaking country? Last time I checked when I saw the
> > President on TV he was speaking English with no accent. I want to know

why
> > in the hell would these Hispanic employees get mad at me because I don't
> > understand them?

> There are US states with more people speaking spanish than english,
> and spanish will probably become the 2nd official language in those
> states within a few years, and later your 2nd national language.
>
> Have it from "completely unbiased" american friends from last time I
> was in Arnieland.

Not too long ago in Miami, Florida, there was a public referendum on making
Spanish the 'first' language in the schools. Will the last American to leave
town please bring the flag.
Joe Arnold

Ron Hunter

Frank van der Pol wrote:

> Michael schreef in bericht <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>

>>Let me ask...is it appropriate for people that do not speak
>>the English language correctly to insult or be arrogant to some one that
>>does in an English speaking country?

> Let me ask... do they teach people in the US to use paragraphs in
> their text?
>
> Frank

Some do, some don't. Some even refuse to use capitals, and punctuation.
Ever read anything by James Joyce?

Paul Heslop

Michael wrote:
and you forgot to ask whether they sold digital cameras?

--
Paul.
to look at