Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > No one speaks english anymore??

No one speaks english anymore??

Michael

Ok, since a lot of people abroad from America probably read this group I'm
going to post it here and hopefully get some good feedback. I was born and
raised on the East Coast of the US. I grew up in not so nice neighborhoods
so I have some street smarts and I'm aware of what's going on out there. I
am not a prejudice person. I've worked since I was legally able to and the
feds have been sucking taxes out of me ever since. I currently live in
Central NJ, where it's busy and crowded. I've realized that most stores,
fast food establishments, gas stations, service companies, anything that's
retail the people that work there do not speak much English. Today I was
shopping and tried to ask some questions about a product that was being
sold. The sales associate had a very strong accent and I couldn't understand
him. He actually got upset with me because I couldn't understand what he was
saying. Another sales associate came over which had an accent himself, but
not as strong as the first guy. The second gentlemen was hard to understand
also. For some reason these two guys got arrogant with me because I couldn't
understand them! I believe it was a Spanish accent. I indicated to them that
I wanted to speak to an English speaking sales associate and they got
offended and tried to play it off that I was prejudice and didn't like
Hispanics. My god, all I wanted was some questions answered about a product.
To my disbelief the store supervisor was understandable, but also had a
heavy accent. Let me ask...is it appropriate for people that do not speak
the English language correctly to insult or be arrogant to some one that
does in an English speaking country? Last time I checked when I saw the
President on TV he was speaking English with no accent. I want to know why
in the hell would these Hispanic employees get mad at me because I don't
understand them? Do they think I'm going to actually learn their language or
feel ashamed that I didn't understand them? I would think they would be
ashamed because they can't speak the English language correctly, buy lemme
tell you...they have no shame whatsoever. This is just one small incident
that happens to me on a daily basis. I refuse to buy fast food at
drive-throughs anymore. If you don't speak Spanish, you'll never get what
you want. When you purchase gasoline (in NJ you can't pump yourself) you
have to tell the attendant 5 times what you want and speak like you are
talking to a 5 year old. I think I'm getting a little frustrated nowadays
that these companies don't care if their employees don't even speak the
language correctly as long as they take the cheapest salary I guess. If I
were to move to another country I would certainly learn and be fluent in
that language and make sure I was ashamed if I couldn't speak it correctly.
I have no sympathy or feelings for these type (not all of them) of people
anymore that don't care.

Paolo Pizzi

Michael wrote:

> Last time I checked when I saw the President
> on TV he was speaking English

Really?

"I wanna remind you all that I -- in, in order -- what -- in
order to fight and win the war it requires a expenditure of
money -- uhh, uhh -- that is commiserate with keeping a
promise to our troops to make sure that they're well paid,
well trained, well equipped."

(Washington, D.C., Dec. 15, 2003)

Doesn't sound much like English to me...

)))

zbzbzb

>I want to know why
>in the hell would these Hispanic employees get mad at me because I don't
>understand them? Do they think I'm going to actually learn their language or
>feel ashamed that I didn't understand them? I would think they would be
>ashamed because they can't speak the English language correctly, buy lemme
>tell you...they have no shame whatsoever. This is just one small incident
>that happens to me on a daily basis. I refuse to buy fast food at
>drive-throughs anymore. If you don't speak Spanish, you'll never get what
>you want. When you purchase gasoline (in NJ you can't pump yourself) you
>have to tell the attendant 5 times what you want and speak like you are
>talking to a 5 year old. I think I'm getting a little frustrated nowadays
>that these companies don't care if their employees don't even speak the
>language correctly as long as they take the cheapest salary I guess. If I
>were to move to another country I would certainly learn and be fluent in
>that language and make sure I was ashamed if I couldn't speak it correctly.
>I have no sympathy or feelings for these type (not all of them) of people
>anymore that don't care.

Certain groups of people that emigrate to the US are like that. I'm sure it
happens in other countries too, though I think it is tolerated way to much here
in the US. I see the strongest resistance to learn English from the hispanic
community. Some are pretty radical about it, just as you describe. Apparently
they prefer their new society to conform to them. Unfortunately, your
experience is no suprise to me. Next time just remind them that they are no
longer in their former country and that if they want to continue making money
off of customers that speak the native language then they should learn it too.

I had a friend once tell some hispanic kid, in the parking lot of a K-Mart, to
please pick up some garbage he had just thrown onto the pavement and the
parents went ballistic on him accusing him of being prejudice and saying that
the only reason he had said that to them was because they were Mexican! This
poor guy, who didn't have a prejudice bone in his body, was flabbergasted.
Again, I wasn't surprised at all.

zbzbzb

>> Last time I checked when I saw the President
>> on TV he was speaking English

>Really?
>
>"I wanna remind you all that I -- in, in order -- what -- in
>order to fight and win the war it requires a expenditure of
>money -- uhh, uhh -- that is commiserate with keeping a
>promise to our troops to make sure that they're well paid,
>well trained, well equipped."
>
>(Washington, D.C., Dec. 15, 2003)
>
>Doesn't sound much like English to me...
>
>)))

Not surprising you would have something like that stashed away.

gsum

Tha's in't wrong group lad. This has nowt to do
wi' cameras.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> tell you...they have no shame whatsoever. This is just one small incident
> that happens to me on a daily basis. I refuse to buy fast food at
> drive-throughs anymore. If you don't speak Spanish, you'll never get what
> you want. When you purchase gasoline (in NJ you can't pump yourself) you
> have to tell the attendant 5 times what you want and speak like you are
> talking to a 5 year old. I think I'm getting a little frustrated nowadays
> that these companies don't care if their employees don't even speak the
> language correctly as long as they take the cheapest salary I guess. If I
> were to move to another country I would certainly learn and be fluent in
> that language and make sure I was ashamed if I couldn't speak it

correctly.
> I have no sympathy or feelings for these type (not all of them) of people

JIM

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
.....<cut>.... If you don't speak Spanish, you'll never get what
> you want. ....<cut>....If I
> were to move to another country I would certainly learn and be fluent in
> that language and make sure I was ashamed if I couldn't speak it

correctly.
> I have no sympathy or feelings for these type (not all of them) of people
> anymore that don't care.

Michael - ever hear the word "multiculturalism?" Rampant illegal entry into
the US combined with legal immigration has reached staggering proportions. A
single walk through your local Wallymart should allow you to hear a minimum
of three different languages, none of which would be english. Showing my age
a smidgen, I had never heard a foreign language spoken in the US outside of
school. After returning to the States from Germany, I was 20 years old
before I heard another language other than english and that was 36 years ago
on the island of Okinawa w/the Marine Corps! Having lost control of our
borders, has changed all that.

How many trees could the tree-huggers save if all the instruction manuals
were printed in only the language of the country the product was sold in?
Instruction manuals are beginning to resemble telephone directories.

Folks who think all this "multi-whatever" is the wave of the future need to
read Genesis 11:1-9, about the tower of Babel. God confused the languages
and nobody could understand anybody else. Check out Canada, whole bunch of
confusion going on with the languages spoken there already.

Back on topic, maybe it gives something for photogs to do, photograph the
assembly steps for the products so the manuals can be reduced in size by
eliminating the need for any language??

Jim

Charlie Self

JIM writes:

>Back on topic, maybe it gives something for photogs to do, photograph the
>assembly steps for the products so the manuals can be reduced in size by
>eliminating the need for any language??

You need to check out some manuals. They are already full of photos in most
cases, drawings in others.

Charlie Self

"Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
Alexander Hamilton

http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/m.../business.html

Povl H. Pedersen

On 2003-12-23, Michael <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ... Let me ask...is it appropriate for people that do not speak
> the English language correctly to insult or be arrogant to some one that
> does in an English speaking country? Last time I checked when I saw the
> President on TV he was speaking English with no accent. I want to know why
> in the hell would these Hispanic employees get mad at me because I don't
> understand them?

There are US states with more people speaking spanish than english,
and spanish will probably become the 2nd official language in those
states within a few years, and later your 2nd national language.

Have it from "completely unbiased" american friends from last time I
was in Arnieland.

Alan D-W

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, since a lot of people abroad from America probably read this group I'm
> going to post it here and hopefully get some good feedback. I was born and

Que? No comprende.

What the hell has this rant got to do with digital photography please?

These days society is multicultural, live with it. It's not only America,
it's here in the UK too. It's everywhere.

zbzbzb

>There are US states with more people speaking spanish than english,
>and spanish will probably become the 2nd official language in those
>states within a few years, and later your 2nd national language.

Officially we don't have a national language. It has always been unofficially
English, of course, but just never made into law. Some years back there was
talk of finally formalizing it and unbelievably the hispanic groups starting
crying racism. That's usually their first line of defense when they want
something their way.

>Have it from "completely unbiased" american friends from last time I
>was in Arnieland.

Your friends are exaggerating.

Many hispanics that have recently emigtrated are resistant to learning English
but more importantly the vast majority of their children do end up primarily
speaking English. Whether they can also speak another language is another
matter.

The first generations are always the more resistant, at least in that group.