Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon Zoombrowser Replacement?

Canon Zoombrowser Replacement?

Bob

Thanks for the input.
OK, it is unanimous, I will shed no tears over the Zoombrowser, and I will
get a card reader.
Saves me having to try to talk to the beleaguered Canon support folk.

Folks mentioned a couple of programs for replacing the Canon stuff, but I
wondered what I
need just to do some basic clean up before developing/printing digital
photos. I have used the
simple Pictiure It Express to scan in pictures and change
contrast/brightness, get out the redeye, crop, etc. Is something like Pant
Shop a much more sophisticated program for doing this sort of stuff? I had
a version of Paint Shop many years ago (I think it was free....), and I
remember it could do quite a bit; probably much advanced now.
I assume Photoshop or ACDsee costs some money? I see from the Fototime web
site that it will cost after 30days (the archiving function in Fototime Pro
looks useful....).
Guess maybe I will see what Paint Shop is like these days....

"Bob Hatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bs86mi$ac8gs$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "Bob" <rkay48@notthis_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>

> > I can plug the camera into the USB (1) port, and using other software
> > (Picture It Express) I can download the pictures from the camera. But I
> > really wanted to see what the Canon software was like. Can anyone tell

me
> > if I
> > should even bother trying to get the Canon Software to run?

> Other than being a slow, non-intuitive, poorly designed and mostly non
> useful POS I think the Canon Software is great, as long as it's on someone
> else's computer.
>
> Can the Canon
> > programs
> > do anything that Picture I Express cannot?

> Don't know. I use ACDSee and Photoshop 7.
>
> > I have also seen folks suggest getting a card reader and just dropping

the
> > pictures
> > from the memory card onto your hard drive. Is that a better option? I

> have> USB 1 ports
> > so the transfer is a tad slow for a bunch of pictures, but not too bad.

> I've used USB 1 to download thousands of pictures. Went to USB2 about a

year
> ago on both my computers that we download to. Buy a USB 2 pci expansion
> card. It will have drivers that will work with 98 SE. There is no way I
> would use the camera to download with. A card reader is way better,

easier,
> faster, etc.
>

> > FYI, I am running Win98SE on a Pentium 3. Have had no other problems

like
> > this
> > with other software (I also have Visioneer Scanner installed on parallel
> > port).
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions?

> Yes, get a card reader. Use the Canon CD as a coaster for the coffee

table.