Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > White spots on digital photos

White spots on digital photos

softman

Hi

Some times when I take pictures with my Nicon Coolpix 3500 with the
flash on, I get some sort of white spots at the picture. Does anybody
know why? Is it the camera or is it only dirt at the lense.

Examlepicture at

http://www.nt.ntnu.no/users/ivarw/Perutur2003%20133.jpg

Ivar

Michael Geary

> Some times when I take pictures with my Nicon Coolpix 3500
> with the flash on, I get some sort of white spots at the picture.
> Does anybody know why? Is it the camera or is it only dirt at
> the lense.
>
> Examlepicture at
>
> http://www.nt.ntnu.no/users/ivarw/Perutur2003%20133.jpg

These are dust particles floating in the air in front of the lens. The flash
illuminates them, and they show up as white spots because they are out of
focus. If you use the repeat mode on your camera, you'll see them in
different places each time--or you may get lucky and get a shot without
them.

-Mike

zbzbzb

>> Some times when I take pictures with my Nicon Coolpix 3500
>> with the flash on, I get some sort of white spots at the picture.
>> Does anybody know why? Is it the camera or is it only dirt at
>> the lense.
>>
>> Examlepicture at
>>
>> http://www.nt.ntnu.no/users/ivarw/Perutur2003%20133.jpg

>These are dust particles floating in the air in front of the lens. The flash
>illuminates them, and they show up as white spots because they are out of
>focus. If you use the repeat mode on your camera, you'll see them in
>different places each time--or you may get lucky and get a shot without
>them.
>
>-Mike

Or they are ghosts. At least that is what many ghost hunters claim when they
take pictures of haunted sites. Hard to say who is right. From what I've read
both sides generally claim they are right, although similar pictures have
stumped professionals. One thing that can't seem to be explained is why do they
only show up in certain locations, often locations where paranormal activity
has been experienced before, but not in others or at one moment but not others.

What were the circumstances and location of the picture?

dicko

My S40 camera had these too. In my case, they were most definitely not
dust spots. If I put the camera on a tripod and took sequential
pictures of the same scene, The white circles showed in the exact same
spots on the photos. If they were dust particles, I would expect them
to be in different spots as air currents blew them around.

And funny thing, it was only the S40 that had them. My old Kodak DC260
never showed them.

I chalked it up to some kind of lens reflection because they only
seemed to happen when there was a bright light source outside the
field of view. They happened often enough and spoiled enough pictures
that I got rid of the camera.

dickm

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:02:34 -0800, "Michael Geary"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Some times when I take pictures with my Nicon Coolpix 3500
>> with the flash on, I get some sort of white spots at the picture.
>> Does anybody know why? Is it the camera or is it only dirt at
>> the lense.
>>
>> Examlepicture at
>>
>> http://www.nt.ntnu.no/users/ivarw/Perutur2003%20133.jpg

>These are dust particles floating in the air in front of the lens. The flash
>illuminates them, and they show up as white spots because they are out of
>focus. If you use the repeat mode on your camera, you'll see them in
>different places each time--or you may get lucky and get a shot without
>them.
>
>-Mike

Alan Wonsowski

>On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 12:02:34 -0800, "Michael Geary"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>> Some times when I take pictures with my Nicon Coolpix 3500
>>> with the flash on, I get some sort of white spots at the picture.
>>> Does anybody know why? Is it the camera or is it only dirt at
>>> the lense.

I have a Canon PowerShot A70. Page 210 of the User Guide,
Troubleshooting Section, responds to the problem with this comment:

"Cause: Light from the flash has reflected off dust particles or
insects in the air. This occurs more frequently in the following
conditions:

- When shooting at the wide angle end.
- When shooting with a high aperture value in the aperture-priority
mode.

Solution: This is a phenomenon that occurs with digital cameras and
does not constitute a malfunction"

So says Canon - You may want to check your Nikon guide to see if they
have anything different to say.

Alan

Paolo Pizzi

dicko wrote:

> My S40 camera had these too. In my case, they were most definitely not
> dust spots. If I put the camera on a tripod and took sequential
> pictures of the same scene, The white circles showed in the exact same
> spots on the photos. If they were dust particles, I would expect them
> to be in different spots as air currents blew them around.

Then they probably are dust speckles inside the lens or, even
worse, fungi.

Andy Blanchard

On 22 Dec 2003 21:36:36 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)bzbzb (zbzbzb) wrote:

>Or they are ghosts. At least that is what many ghost hunters claim when they
>take pictures of haunted sites. Hard to say who is right. From what I've read
>both sides generally claim they are right, although similar pictures have
>stumped professionals. One thing that can't seem to be explained is why do they
>only show up in certain locations, often locations where paranormal activity
>has been experienced before, but not in others or at one moment but not others.

I saw a TV program on this phenomenon recently... Apparently it's
quite a lucrative business for the photographers/"ghost hunters" who
can charge quite large premiums to arrange trips to haunted houses.
They are generally quite clever about it, using places with with a
reputation for being haunted and making special arrangements with the
owners for a private session and so on. Of course, most haunted
houses are quite old, dusty, and have ceilings that are more prone to
gathering pockets of dust than more modern smooth plaster ones. The
program makers had set up a popular haunt of these scammers with
hidden video cameras and they were, under the guise of "helping" the
amateurs with thier cameras, sprinkling dust in front of the lenses.

Even looking the exercise as a sceptic, it was actually quite easy to
see how people could be taken in, despite their lack of gullibility;
even with people moving around the room, some areas were clearly
experiencing far less convection than others, as was later
demonstrated. One guest who claimed to be sceptical appeared to
reject the dust theory he'd gone in with because one part of the room
had very animated "ghosts" while another part's were largely static.

Oddly they seemed to imply it was a recent phenomenon, as in since the
take off of digital cameras, although I would have thought a decent
film camera would catch the reflection too, under the right lighting
and film conditions. Of course, film doesn't give the immediate
feedback that a digital with preview screen does, so maybe this kind
of instant gratification is necessary for the scam to work.

Andy

zbzbzb

>>Or they are ghosts. At least that is what many ghost hunters claim when they
>>take pictures of haunted sites. Hard to say who is right. From what I've

>read
>>both sides generally claim they are right, although similar pictures have
>>stumped professionals. One thing that can't seem to be explained is why do

>they
>>only show up in certain locations, often locations where paranormal activity
>>has been experienced before, but not in others or at one moment but not

>others.
>
>I saw a TV program on this phenomenon recently... Apparently it's
>quite a lucrative business for the photographers/"ghost hunters" who
>can charge quite large premiums to arrange trips to haunted houses.
>They are generally quite clever about it, using places with with a
>reputation for being haunted and making special arrangements with the
>owners for a private session and so on. Of course, most haunted
>houses are quite old, dusty, and have ceilings that are more prone to
>gathering pockets of dust than more modern smooth plaster ones. The
>program makers had set up a popular haunt of these scammers with
>hidden video cameras and they were, under the guise of "helping" the
>amateurs with thier cameras, sprinkling dust in front of the lenses.
>
>Even looking the exercise as a sceptic, it was actually quite easy to
>see how people could be taken in, despite their lack of gullibility;
>even with people moving around the room, some areas were clearly
>experiencing far less convection than others, as was later
>demonstrated. One guest who claimed to be sceptical appeared to
>reject the dust theory he'd gone in with because one part of the room
>had very animated "ghosts" while another part's were largely static.
>
>Oddly they seemed to imply it was a recent phenomenon, as in since the
>take off of digital cameras, although I would have thought a decent
>film camera would catch the reflection too, under the right lighting
>and film conditions. Of course, film doesn't give the immediate
>feedback that a digital with preview screen does, so maybe this kind
>of instant gratification is necessary for the scam to work.
>
>Andy

Does that explain all those pictures though.

Patrick L.

"zbzbzb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Some times when I take pictures with my Nicon Coolpix 3500
> >> with the flash on, I get some sort of white spots at the picture.
> >> Does anybody know why? Is it the camera or is it only dirt at
> >> the lense.
> >>
> >> Examlepicture at
> >>
> >> http://www.nt.ntnu.no/users/ivarw/Perutur2003%20133.jpg

> >These are dust particles floating in the air in front of the lens. The

flash
> >illuminates them, and they show up as white spots because they are out of
> >focus. If you use the repeat mode on your camera, you'll see them in
> >different places each time--or you may get lucky and get a shot without
> >them.
> >
> >-Mike

> Or they are ghosts. At least that is what many ghost hunters claim when

they
> take pictures of haunted sites. Hard to say who is right. From what I've

read
> both sides generally claim they are right, although similar pictures have
> stumped professionals. One thing that can't seem to be explained is why do

they
> only show up in certain locations, often locations where paranormal

activity
> has been experienced before, but not in others or at one moment but not

others.

> What were the circumstances and location of the picture?

Of course they are ghosts. The big one in the center, I swear, is my uncle
Harry.

LOL

Patrick

Alan Browne

Michael Geary wrote:

>>Some times when I take pictures with my Nicon Coolpix 3500
>>with the flash on, I get some sort of white spots at the picture.
>>Does anybody know why? Is it the camera or is it only dirt at
>>the lense.
>>
>>Examlepicture at
>>
>>http://www.nt.ntnu.no/users/ivarw/Perutur2003%20133.jpg

> These are dust particles floating in the air in front of the lens. The flash
> illuminates them, and they show up as white spots because they are out of
> focus. If you use the repeat mode on your camera, you'll see them in
> different places each time--or you may get lucky and get a shot without
> them.
>
> -Mike

Another argument for wider aperture cameras.