Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Minolta E323 problems

Minolta E323 problems

kokk

Hello eveyone,

Just bought Minolta E323 camera, the model I thought
just suited my needs. Yet I have two problems:

First of all, the noise level on most photos without
flash is extremely annoing. Also, it's almost impossible
to get sharp photos in low/medium light.
Built-in flash does some improvement on the above,
yet I would like to do some photos with natural colors.
Just have a look at sample picture done 10 secs ago:

http://www.icpnet.pl/~ndos/samplepic.jpg

Can someone advise if symptoms visible above are
just common for this model, or should I go to
the shop.

Second thing is an annoyance I can't go past.
When I plug the camera to my pc, the camera
wizard opens up to copy the pictures, but
that's all - camera is not recognised as
a removable drive. This makes copying
recorded movies impossible, and is quite strange,
because the camera manual states the contrary.
I'm running Winxp SP1

Can someone help me in above matters?

Alan Browne

kokk wrote:

> Hello eveyone,
>
> Just bought Minolta E323 camera, the model I thought
> just suited my needs. Yet I have two problems:
>
> First of all, the noise level on most photos without
> flash is extremely annoing. Also, it's almost impossible
> to get sharp photos in low/medium light.
> Built-in flash does some improvement on the above,
> yet I would like to do some photos with natural colors.
> Just have a look at sample picture done 10 secs ago:
>
> http://www.icpnet.pl/~ndos/samplepic.jpg
>
> Can someone advise if symptoms visible above are
> just common for this model, or should I go to
> the shop.

If the sofa was white, then the in camera meter believes that the
average scene (18% grey) is under more light than is the case. So it
underexposed. This contributes to the noise everywhere in the image.
It does not matter that you use or don't use flash, the camera is trying
to expose for 18% grey....

When faced with such scenes (a lot of snow is another one), set the exp.
comp to +1.5 ... +2.0.

Alan.

kokk

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 12:50:51 -0500, Alan Browne
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> If the sofa was white, then the in camera meter believes that the
> average scene (18% grey) is under more light than is the case. So it
> underexposed. This contributes to the noise everywhere in the image. It
> does not matter that you use or don't use flash, the camera is trying to
> expose for 18% grey....

Thanks for the advice. To be honest I rushed a little bit with my
questions,
before I got familiar with this type of camera. My photos are getting
better every
minute though.