Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Viewing 4:3 pictures on 16:9 TV

Viewing 4:3 pictures on 16:9 TV

Malcolm H

I have a Pioneer Plasma TV PDP-434HDE which has a wonderful feature enabling
digital media from cameras to be displayed directly on the plasma screen.
This is quite the best way of viewing digital pictures at very high quality
that I have experienced.
My problem concerns the aspect ratio. The screen is, of course, 16:9
whereas the pictures from the camera are 4:3. Thus pictures are displayed
with blank bars to the left and right. (There is a 'stretch' facility but
this, of course, results in objectionable geometric distortion).
I have tried cropping the pictures to 16:9 (using Paint Shop Pro) in the
hope that I would then get an undistorted full screen display.
Unfortunately the Pioneer electronics objects to this and cannot recognise
the edited images image as valid jpeg files.
Upon reading the instructions I have discovered that Pioneer state that jpeg
images which have been edited with a PC 'may' not be recognised.
Can anybody tell me why this should be, and hopefully offer a solution to
editing my pictures to 16:9 whilst retaining compatibility with the Pioneer
reading system?
TIA

Andy Hewitt

Malcolm H <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have a Pioneer Plasma TV PDP-434HDE which has a wonderful feature enabling
> digital media from cameras to be displayed directly on the plasma screen.
> This is quite the best way of viewing digital pictures at very high quality
> that I have experienced.
> My problem concerns the aspect ratio. The screen is, of course, 16:9
> whereas the pictures from the camera are 4:3. Thus pictures are displayed
> with blank bars to the left and right. (There is a 'stretch' facility but
> this, of course, results in objectionable geometric distortion).
> I have tried cropping the pictures to 16:9 (using Paint Shop Pro) in the
> hope that I would then get an undistorted full screen display.
> Unfortunately the Pioneer electronics objects to this and cannot recognise
> the edited images image as valid jpeg files.
> Upon reading the instructions I have discovered that Pioneer state that jpeg
> images which have been edited with a PC 'may' not be recognised.
> Can anybody tell me why this should be, and hopefully offer a solution to
> editing my pictures to 16:9 whilst retaining compatibility with the Pioneer
> reading system?

It's possible your editing software deletes the EXIF data, and your TV
uses this.

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5 - BMW K100RS 8v)
Honda Concerto 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G3) (definitely staying)

David J Taylor

> Upon reading the instructions I have discovered that Pioneer state that
jpeg
> images which have been edited with a PC 'may' not be recognised.
> Can anybody tell me why this should be, and hopefully offer a solution

> editing my pictures to 16:9 whilst retaining compatibility with the

Pioneer
> reading system?

Malcolm,

You could try my TV writer software which make images that you have edited
on the computer viewable once again in your digital camera or TV. You can
download the trial version free of charge, and you can request some sample
images.

http://www.satsignal.net => Image Utilities, TVwriter

You might even convince me to do a 16:9 special version for you!

Cheers,
David
--
Quality software written to your requirements
Web: http://www.satsignal.net

BarryC at SkylarkDVD

Malcom,

It sounds like replacing the EXIF data will do it for the Pioneer viewer.
If you're able to use a PC connected to your TV, however,
SkyView (available on download.com) will do the viewing at 16:9 without
altering the original images. It has a variety of aspect and letterboxing options
including an 'Overscan' (aka. zoom and crop) option for your scenario.

Barry

"Malcolm H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:7UEFb.8606$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a Pioneer Plasma TV PDP-434HDE which has a wonderful feature enabling
> digital media from cameras to be displayed directly on the plasma screen.
> This is quite the best way of viewing digital pictures at very high quality
> that I have experienced.
> My problem concerns the aspect ratio. The screen is, of course, 16:9
> whereas the pictures from the camera are 4:3. Thus pictures are displayed
> with blank bars to the left and right. (There is a 'stretch' facility but
> this, of course, results in objectionable geometric distortion).
> I have tried cropping the pictures to 16:9 (using Paint Shop Pro) in the
> hope that I would then get an undistorted full screen display.
> Unfortunately the Pioneer electronics objects to this and cannot recognise
> the edited images image as valid jpeg files.
> Upon reading the instructions I have discovered that Pioneer state that jpeg
> images which have been edited with a PC 'may' not be recognised.
> Can anybody tell me why this should be, and hopefully offer a solution to
> editing my pictures to 16:9 whilst retaining compatibility with the Pioneer
> reading system?
> TIA

Malcolm H

"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit> wrote in
message news:gEFFb.3609$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Upon reading the instructions I have discovered that Pioneer state that

> jpeg
> > images which have been edited with a PC 'may' not be recognised.
> > Can anybody tell me why this should be, and hopefully offer a solution

> > editing my pictures to 16:9 whilst retaining compatibility with the

> Pioneer
> > reading system?

> Malcolm,
>
> You could try my TV writer software which make images that you have edited
> on the computer viewable once again in your digital camera or TV. You can
> download the trial version free of charge, and you can request some sample
> images.
>
> http://www.satsignal.net => Image Utilities, TVwriter
>
> You might even convince me to do a 16:9 special version for you!
>
> Cheers,
> David

Hi David, I tried it and it works!! I would like to buy it but why does it
take 12 days for the licence code?

David J Taylor

[]
> > You could try my TV writer software which make images that you have

edited
> > on the computer viewable once again in your digital camera or TV. You

can
> > download the trial version free of charge, and you can request some

sample
> > images.
> >
> > http://www.satsignal.net => Image Utilities, TVwriter
> >
> > You might even convince me to do a 16:9 special version for you!
> >
> > Cheers,
> > David

> Hi David, I tried it and it works!! I would like to buy it but why does

it
> take 12 days for the licence code?

Good news!

I hope it says something along the lines of "Please allow up to 12 working
days for delivery". Normally I deliver within the hour, but I do sleep
almost every night, and sometimes even go on holiday! Try me!

Cheers,
David

David J Taylor

> Good news!
>
> I hope it says something along the lines of "Please allow up to 12

working
> days for delivery". Normally I deliver within the hour, but I do sleep
> almost every night, and sometimes even go on holiday! Try me!
>
> Cheers,
> David

Thank you for taking me at my word, Malcolm.

Order received: 19:21
Licence delivered: 19:33

Happy viewing,
David

Ron Hunter

Malcolm H wrote:

> I have a Pioneer Plasma TV PDP-434HDE which has a wonderful feature enabling
> digital media from cameras to be displayed directly on the plasma screen.
> This is quite the best way of viewing digital pictures at very high quality
> that I have experienced.
> My problem concerns the aspect ratio. The screen is, of course, 16:9
> whereas the pictures from the camera are 4:3. Thus pictures are displayed
> with blank bars to the left and right. (There is a 'stretch' facility but
> this, of course, results in objectionable geometric distortion).
> I have tried cropping the pictures to 16:9 (using Paint Shop Pro) in the
> hope that I would then get an undistorted full screen display.
> Unfortunately the Pioneer electronics objects to this and cannot recognise
> the edited images image as valid jpeg files.
> Upon reading the instructions I have discovered that Pioneer state that jpeg
> images which have been edited with a PC 'may' not be recognised.
> Can anybody tell me why this should be, and hopefully offer a solution to
> editing my pictures to 16:9 whilst retaining compatibility with the Pioneer
> reading system?
> TIA

Simple answer is that Pioneer took an easy way out in writing their
display program for the TV. Many cameras do this as well. It results
in a rather narrow range of pictures that may be displayed, by assuming
that the pictures will be a certain aspect ratio. I rather suspect that
some of the 3:2 camera files wouldn't display either...

Viewing Pictures? SNOAD Firefox 1 03-12-2005 07:48 PM
PC Viewing vs DVD Player Viewing - MP3 play very fast Ray Donzdorf Computer Support 0 12-11-2004 01:07 PM
when I am viewing a catalogue on line, the pictures are blurry and unledgeable =?Utf-8?B?Y3JtaWxsZXI=?= Microsoft Certification 1 04-18-2004 12:10 AM
Electronic viewing of Pictures indgepr Digital Photography 5 01-21-2004 12:35 PM
Re: Portable screen for field viewing of digital pictures? (Pete Cresswell) Digital Photography 3 09-19-2003 08:06 PM

Advertisments