Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > VIVITAR digital cameras (3705 and 3715) - are they junk?

VIVITAR digital cameras (3705 and 3715) - are they junk?

Victor

Is the reason I can find no professional reviews of the Vivitar 3705
or 3715 3.3 MP digital cameras on the Internet because they are junk?
Or would these Vivitars be comparable in quality to a Kodak 3.2 MP?

I saw the Vivitar 3705 or 3715 3.3 MP camera advertised for $94.88.
However, at the usual digital camera review sites like Steve's
Digicams and dpreview, there were no Vivitar reviews. I then searched
Yahoo and Google and found only a few rather useless user reviews
basically saying the 3705 camera goes through batteries too fast.

The only 2 differences I can see between the 3705 and 3715 specs are
the 3715 offers NTSC video output to the TV and the 3705 supports up
to 256 MB SD instead of 128 MB. The 3705 box says 2003 and the 3715
box says 2002 -- meaning the 3705 without video output appears to be
the newer model.

Should I try either of these Vivitars if I have no restocking fee
(some stores offer that), or would it be a complete waste of time?

For what it's worth, the $100 Kodak CX4310's picture quality was good
enough for me, but each of the 2 cameras I tried had bad/stuck CCD
pixels that bothered me, so I assumed Kodak does not have good quality
control (at least on their low end).

GAH

Vivitar makes lower-end "starter" cameras. They do not compare in terms of
image quality to the major brands such as Kodak, Olympus, Nikon, etc. They
are not horrible for things like web uses and 4x6 prints, but beyond that,
the cheap lenses and inferior quality shows.

Greg

news:(E-Mail Removed)...