Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon G3 vs Nikon 4300

Canon G3 vs Nikon 4300

Gregory Coats

I have narrowed my search for a new camera to either the Canon G3 at around
$479 and the Nikon 4300 at around $399. I need some input as to which is
better and why. Which has the better flash? I know the G3 has a recording of
a shutter sound, which I like and I wonder if the Nikon 4300 has this
feature. I have no problem paying the higher price for the G3, but don't
want to if the 4300 is just as good a camera.

Tore Lund

Gregory Coats wrote:
> I have narrowed my search for a new camera to either the Canon G3 at around
> $479 and the Nikon 4300 at around $399. I need some input as to which is
> better and why.

I think you are comparing apples to oranges. The G3 is a bigger,
heavier and more expensive camera. I believe it is also somewhat better
than the 4300 in most respects.

IMO, what you SHOULD be comparing is the different policies that Canon
and Nikon have in the fields of color management and things like that.

> Which has the better flash?

I don't know. I believe the G3 has a problem in that sector because of
its big lens.

One major reason for buying the G3, IMO, is the f/2.0 aperture, which
makes it possible to do without flash in many situations.

> I know the G3 has a recording of
> a shutter sound, which I like and I wonder if the Nikon 4300 has this
> feature.

AFAIK, the 4300 does not have it. If you care for things like that,
look up the Minolta F200, which has a very cool shutter sound.

> I have no problem paying the higher price for the G3, but don't
> want to if the 4300 is just as good a camera.

The 4300 IS a good camera. But if you don't mind the extra weight and
bulk, I think you should get the G3.
--
Tore

Mick Ruthven

The 4300 has no provision for an external flash. The G3 has a flash hot shoe
and makes good use of Canon external flash units. Any of these cameras
internal flash units are very limited.

"Gregory Coats" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LWnFb.224528$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have narrowed my search for a new camera to either the Canon G3 at

around
> $479 and the Nikon 4300 at around $399. I need some input as to which is
> better and why. Which has the better flash? I know the G3 has a recording

of
> a shutter sound, which I like and I wonder if the Nikon 4300 has this
> feature. I have no problem paying the higher price for the G3, but don't
> want to if the 4300 is just as good a camera.

Povl H. Pedersen

On 2003-12-21, Gregory Coats <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have narrowed my search for a new camera to either the Canon G3 at around
> $479 and the Nikon 4300 at around $399. I need some input as to which is
> better and why. Which has the better flash? I know the G3 has a recording of
> a shutter sound, which I like and I wonder if the Nikon 4300 has this
> feature. I have no problem paying the higher price for the G3, but don't
> want to if the 4300 is just as good a camera.

Have a Nikon 4500 myself. I have no real complaint about the flash.
There isn't much shutter sound. The G3 has a faster lens as some said,
and that is what is its main advantage.