Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak Easyshare 6000 vs HP PhotoSmart 145

Reply
Thread Tools

Kodak Easyshare 6000 vs HP PhotoSmart 145

 
 
Larry R Harrison Jr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2003
I am considering one of those for casual 4x6 photos. I don't figure an
inkjet would be appropriate due to the tendency of inkjet photos to fade. I
want something that is as permanent (or almost, anyway) as regular photos.

The Kodak comes highly recommended, yet I've also seen that Photosmart for
sale too. I'm curious as to any opinions persons have of both models, or any
other models in their price range.

LRH


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Harvey
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2003
Make sure you check out the cost of the media for the Kodak. You might be
shocked.

"Larry R Harrison Jr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3ZmFb.23766$gN.22618@fed1read05...
> I am considering one of those for casual 4x6 photos. I don't figure an
> inkjet would be appropriate due to the tendency of inkjet photos to fade.

I
> want something that is as permanent (or almost, anyway) as regular photos.
>
> The Kodak comes highly recommended, yet I've also seen that Photosmart for
> sale too. I'm curious as to any opinions persons have of both models, or

any
> other models in their price range.
>
> LRH
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Larry R Harrison Jr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2003
Yes, it's $25 for a 40 photo kit, which is like 60c a print. I'm aware.

What would you suggest? One thing--permanence is a big deal to me, so I'm
thinking I should avoid inkjets. Your advice?


"Harvey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
> Make sure you check out the cost of the media for the Kodak. You might be
> shocked.
>
> "Larry R Harrison Jr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3ZmFb.23766$gN.22618@fed1read05...
> > I am considering one of those for casual 4x6 photos. I don't figure an
> > inkjet would be appropriate due to the tendency of inkjet photos to

fade.
> I
> > want something that is as permanent (or almost, anyway) as regular

photos.
> >
> > The Kodak comes highly recommended, yet I've also seen that Photosmart

for
> > sale too. I'm curious as to any opinions persons have of both models, or

> any
> > other models in their price range.
> >
> > LRH
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Larry Lynch
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-21-2003
In article <0qnFb.23769$gN.15627@fed1read05>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Yes, it's $25 for a 40 photo kit, which is like 60c a print. I'm aware.
>
> What would you suggest? One thing--permanence is a big deal to me, so I'm
> thinking I should avoid inkjets. Your advice?
>
>

Sony has a Dye Sub 4x6 printer, and if you buy the 75
pack, print costs are slightly less than 54 cents (US)
even if you buy the 75 pack with no discount.
--
Larry Lynch
Lasting Imagery
Mystic, Ct.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ron Hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2003
Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:

> Yes, it's $25 for a 40 photo kit, which is like 60c a print. I'm aware.
>
> What would you suggest? One thing--permanence is a big deal to me, so I'm
> thinking I should avoid inkjets. Your advice?
>
>
> "Harvey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) s.com...
>
>>Make sure you check out the cost of the media for the Kodak. You might be
>>shocked.
>>
>>"Larry R Harrison Jr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:3ZmFb.23766$gN.22618@fed1read05...
>>
>>>I am considering one of those for casual 4x6 photos. I don't figure an
>>>inkjet would be appropriate due to the tendency of inkjet photos to

>
> fade.
>
>>I
>>
>>>want something that is as permanent (or almost, anyway) as regular

>
> photos.
>
>>>The Kodak comes highly recommended, yet I've also seen that Photosmart

>
> for
>
>>>sale too. I'm curious as to any opinions persons have of both models, or

>>
>>any
>>
>>>other models in their price range.
>>>
>>>LRH
>>>
>>>

>>
>>

>
>

My advice is to use an inkjet for quick prints and take the flash card
to Sam's, or Costco for prints.
MUCH cheaper.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2003
In article <0qnFb.23769$gN.15627@fed1read05>, Larry R Harrison Jr
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Yes, it's $25 for a 40 photo kit, which is like 60c a print. I'm aware.
>
> What would you suggest? One thing--permanence is a big deal to me, so I'm
> thinking I should avoid inkjets. Your advice?
>


The price of 4x6 ink jet paper is about .30 a sheet. That is .32 a
sheet less than the easyshare print... BUT when you add the cost of
ink which is anywhere from .30 to .45 a sheet, the Kodak Printer Dock
is much better.
Spill water on a ink jet print, throw it away.. on the Kodak print.. No
problem.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ron Hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2003
Dave wrote:
> In article <0qnFb.23769$gN.15627@fed1read05>, Larry R Harrison Jr
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>Yes, it's $25 for a 40 photo kit, which is like 60c a print. I'm aware.
>>
>>What would you suggest? One thing--permanence is a big deal to me, so I'm
>>thinking I should avoid inkjets. Your advice?
>>

>
>
> The price of 4x6 ink jet paper is about .30 a sheet. That is .32 a
> sheet less than the easyshare print... BUT when you add the cost of
> ink which is anywhere from .30 to .45 a sheet, the Kodak Printer Dock
> is much better.
> Spill water on a ink jet print, throw it away.. on the Kodak print.. No
> problem.


And for $0.18 a shot, you can get a print from Sam's or Costco that is
the same paper and process as for a 35 mm picture. No contest.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2003
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ron Hunter
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Dave wrote:
> > In article <0qnFb.23769$gN.15627@fed1read05>, Larry R Harrison Jr
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >
> >>Yes, it's $25 for a 40 photo kit, which is like 60c a print. I'm aware.
> >>
> >>What would you suggest? One thing--permanence is a big deal to me, so I'm
> >>thinking I should avoid inkjets. Your advice?
> >>

> >
> >
> > The price of 4x6 ink jet paper is about .30 a sheet. That is .32 a
> > sheet less than the easyshare print... BUT when you add the cost of
> > ink which is anywhere from .30 to .45 a sheet, the Kodak Printer Dock
> > is much better.
> > Spill water on a ink jet print, throw it away.. on the Kodak print.. No
> > problem.

>
> And for $0.18 a shot, you can get a print from Sam's or Costco that is
> the same paper and process as for a 35 mm picture. No contest.



Sure it is cheaper to go to Sam's or Costco if you have a membership..
Oh yeah, I only need to print 4 pictures.. 4x62=$2.48 then add Sam's is
20 miles away and my SUV get's 17 MPG, so that is 2.25 gal. of gas at
$1.50 a gal. plus some idiot backs into my car and does $1000 worth of
damage and my deductalbe is $1000.
So my 4 pictures end up costing me about $225. each
Now sure that is going overboard with the car.. but the gas isn't.
If you have 40 or 50 prints to do, sure it is cheaper, but most people
want to print a few pictures at a time and the Printer Dock makes that
easy and affordable.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ron Hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2003
Dave wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ron Hunter
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>Dave wrote:
>>
>>>In article <0qnFb.23769$gN.15627@fed1read05>, Larry R Harrison Jr
>>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>>Yes, it's $25 for a 40 photo kit, which is like 60c a print. I'm aware.
>>>>
>>>>What would you suggest? One thing--permanence is a big deal to me, so I'm
>>>>thinking I should avoid inkjets. Your advice?
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>The price of 4x6 ink jet paper is about .30 a sheet. That is .32 a
>>>sheet less than the easyshare print... BUT when you add the cost of
>>>ink which is anywhere from .30 to .45 a sheet, the Kodak Printer Dock
>>>is much better.
>>>Spill water on a ink jet print, throw it away.. on the Kodak print.. No
>>>problem.

>>
>>And for $0.18 a shot, you can get a print from Sam's or Costco that is
>>the same paper and process as for a 35 mm picture. No contest.

>
>
>
> Sure it is cheaper to go to Sam's or Costco if you have a membership..
> Oh yeah, I only need to print 4 pictures.. 4x62=$2.48 then add Sam's is
> 20 miles away and my SUV get's 17 MPG, so that is 2.25 gal. of gas at
> $1.50 a gal. plus some idiot backs into my car and does $1000 worth of
> damage and my deductalbe is $1000.
> So my 4 pictures end up costing me about $225. each
> Now sure that is going overboard with the car.. but the gas isn't.
> If you have 40 or 50 prints to do, sure it is cheaper, but most people
> want to print a few pictures at a time and the Printer Dock makes that
> easy and affordable.


Easy, yes, affordable, no way. Factor in the cost of the printer and
consumables and the prints are costing WAY more than that gas. BTW,
Sam's here have gas stations with $.05 discounts on the usual price of
gas, so you can save a bundle there too.
 
Reply With Quote
 
LHBanchik
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-22-2003
I considered it, but in my case, rejected it because there is a photo shop in
my town (only 3 blocks from my house) which has the Kodak Easy Share Kiosk. I
just take my camera down there to get single shots developed and printed on the
4x6 paper. If that wasn't an option I'd seriously consider the printer dock.


Mr. Cole's Axiom: The sum of the intelligence of the planet is a constant.
The population is increasing.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kodak Easyshare Dock 6000 vs new Dock 3 Bowman Digital Photography 3 03-03-2005 03:11 AM
Kodak EasyShare Shutdown Problem for Kodak 4530 JR Berry Digital Photography 10 06-08-2004 08:17 AM
Easyshare Dock 6000 Issue Dana Digital Photography 0 04-02-2004 03:16 AM
Kodak Easyshare Dock 6000 Rene Digital Photography 7 12-16-2003 10:08 PM
Photosmart 7760 VS Photosmart 7660 VS Deskjet 5652 slash Digital Photography 2 11-21-2003 04:56 AM



Advertisments