Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Help please. Looking for entry level SLR

Help please. Looking for entry level SLR

woobles

Hello,
I am looking for suggestions on an entry level SLR.
I will be using the camera mainly for
1) Massive amounts of pictures of my family which I often print.
2) Periodic weddings that friends ask me to shoot being that they like
my pictures ect..ect..
3) I do a lot of photo printing mainly 4x6's but occasionally 8x10's
and am looking for very good quality at 8x10.
4) I take holiday 4 times a year and keep my camera with me at all
times averaging 500 pictures in 7 days.

I am not a professional but do not mind learning what's needed to
handle an SLR.
I have all of adobe products and do a lot of editing and retouch when
needed such as wrinkle removal, trimming down the bride and the like.

I am looking for something that will fit the following needs.
1)Accepts standard rechargeable AA's
2)Optical viewfinder
3)Prefer to handle compact flash but not a decisive factor.
4)Is pretty fast at continuous shooting, but rapid fire not really
needed.My old DC280 could take 3 shots at about 2 seconds apart, then
I had to wait 20 seconds before I could shoot again.
5)I would like to stay under $1000 for the camera itself.

In general, I'm just looking for a good solid camera that has some
weight to it and that offers a good quality shot. Advanced settings
would be nice for I can learn as I go. I do not want a tiny point and
shoot type, and I want to avoid
manufacturer specific memory and power systems. When shooting at a
wedding, I like to shoot, wait a few seconds, shoot, and repeat
without problems.I consider myself somewhere between amateur and
professional and am looking to move up to the next level.

Thank you very much in advance,
any input appreciated.
Robert

Don Coon

"woobles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hello,
> I am looking for suggestions on an entry level SLR.
> I will be using the camera mainly for
> 1) Massive amounts of pictures of my family which I often print.
> 2) Periodic weddings that friends ask me to shoot being that they like
> my pictures ect..ect..
> 3) I do a lot of photo printing mainly 4x6's but occasionally 8x10's
> and am looking for very good quality at 8x10.
> 4) I take holiday 4 times a year and keep my camera with me at all
> times averaging 500 pictures in 7 days.
>
> I am not a professional but do not mind learning what's needed to
> handle an SLR.
> I have all of adobe products and do a lot of editing and retouch when
> needed such as wrinkle removal, trimming down the bride and the like.
>
> I am looking for something that will fit the following needs.
> 1)Accepts standard rechargeable AA's
> 2)Optical viewfinder
> 3)Prefer to handle compact flash but not a decisive factor.
> 4)Is pretty fast at continuous shooting, but rapid fire not really
> needed.My old DC280 could take 3 shots at about 2 seconds apart, then
> I had to wait 20 seconds before I could shoot again.
> 5)I would like to stay under $1000 for the camera itself.
>
> In general, I'm just looking for a good solid camera that has some
> weight to it and that offers a good quality shot. Advanced settings
> would be nice for I can learn as I go. I do not want a tiny point and
> shoot type, and I want to avoid
> manufacturer specific memory and power systems. When shooting at a
> wedding, I like to shoot, wait a few seconds, shoot, and repeat
> without problems.I consider myself somewhere between amateur and
> professional and am looking to move up to the next level.
>
> Thank you very much in advance,
> any input appreciated.
> Robert

Other than item #1, you're best off with the Canon Digital Rebel. Body
costs $900. Coming from my "AA" only roots like you, I think you'll be
extremely happy with the BP-511 Lithium-Ion battery. It seems to last
forever. I haven't yet recharged a battery AFTER it died in the camera (10D
here) --- I can't wait that long : ) With AA NiMhs I had batteries go dead
in the camera all the time. And you can get a pair of backup batteries for
$25 on Ebay or one at Walmart for about the same price. Not much shelf-life
issues as with NiMHs either.

Banjopikr1

> Looking for entry level SLR

Robert
Look at the Canon digital rebel. Not exactley entry level, but is under $1000
and should meet your needs.

tron

Thanks, It looks like the digital rebel is the prime choice since the only 3

David J Taylor

"tron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:_dlFb.8606$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, It looks like the digital rebel is the prime choice since the

only 3

... but the rest of us might ask: "Do you really need an SLR?". I didn't
see anything in your requirements list that mandated an SLR.

Cheers,
David

tron

You make a valid point. Perhaps I do not need an SLR. I assumed that by
going with an SLR, I would get higher quality materials, overall better
picture quality, shorter shot-to-shot delays and an overall smarter camera
that would give me a better picture on average in all conditions.
Perhaps I do not need an SLR if the above is not true. Can you then suggest
a non SLR that can satisfy my original needs?
Thanks
Robert
"

tron

Perhaps I'm looking for the possiblity of using advanced SLR features while
also having the option of simple point an shoot.
Any suggestions?
Robert
"David J Taylor" <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit> wrote in
message news:TslFb.2806$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "tron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:_dlFb.8606$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Thanks, It looks like the digital rebel is the prime choice since the

> only 3

> .. but the rest of us might ask: "Do you really need an SLR?". I didn't
> see anything in your requirements list that mandated an SLR.
>
> Cheers,
> David

Todd Walker

In article <l_lFb.8607$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> You make a valid point. Perhaps I do not need an SLR. I assumed that by
> going with an SLR, I would get higher quality materials, overall better
> picture quality, shorter shot-to-shot delays and an overall smarter camera
> that would give me a better picture on average in all conditions.
> Perhaps I do not need an SLR if the above is not true. Can you then suggest
> a non SLR that can satisfy my original needs?
> Thanks
> Robert
> "

You are correct in your assumptions, especially the ones about better
picture quality and shorter shot-to-shot delays. You need an SLR. Look
at the 300D.

--
__________________________________
Todd Walker

nobody@none.net

I really don't think you need an SLR. Yes they may produce marginally
better pictures but the difference certainly won't be noticeable if you are
using this primarily to take pictures of your family. I own the Fuhi s602
and most people can't tell the difference between those prints and prints
from higher end cameras. There are several excellent prosumer SLR like
cameras that would do very well for you.

These are in no particular order

Sony f828
Fuji S7000
Minolta Dimage A1
Nikon Coolpix 5700.

All of these have long lens length, quick autofocus, quick picture to
picture lag time. They also have many of the features that you would find
on an SLR. Check them out at a bestbuy before spending money on an SLR
that you probably don't need.

David J Taylor

"tron" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:l_lFb.8607$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You make a valid point. Perhaps I do not need an SLR. I assumed that by
> going with an SLR, I would get higher quality materials, overall better
> picture quality, shorter shot-to-shot delays and an overall smarter

camera
> that would give me a better picture on average in all conditions.
> Perhaps I do not need an SLR if the above is not true. Can you then

suggest
> a non SLR that can satisfy my original needs?
> Thanks
> Robert

I would agree with the non-SLR list that others have suggested.

My concern is that by getting "entry-level" you would be getting the worst
of both worlds, the expense of an SLR without the high build quality and
features you seek. You need to factor in the very expensive lenses
required (1.6X shorter focal length for the same effect (you want 20mm you
need to buy 12.5mm) as well. Your money, your choice.

Cheers,
David