Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > I don't want a DSLR

I don't want a DSLR

Tony Whitaker

 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):
> What exactly
> about a DSLR makes it superior? ... Is it the sensor? If so, why can't
> I get on a non SLR?

Bingo. The sensors in the DSLRs are better. They have very little noise up
to ISO 400 film speed, and they say you can even get decent photos at ISO
1600!!!

They're only in SLRs at the moment because they've only recently come down
to an affordable price, and, let's face it - the pro cameras get the best,
most expensive features first. And it sounds like Canon is selling these
sensors as fast as they can make the SLRs they go in.

Two disadvantages are that they can't take movies, and they can't show you
a live image on an LCD.

Maybe in the future, Canon could replace the pentaprism in the SLR (well -
it's mirrors in the Rebel) with a CCD that could be used to take movies and
provide a live display. For pictures, the mirror would flip up and the
image would record to the CMOS sensor for highest quality still pictures.

--
To email me, type my 1st name before my last.

Bill

Not true for Fuji. Thier CCD's use a coupling technology that allows the
chip to be read very quickly. My S602 is very fast, virtually no shutter
lag, very fast shot to shot time, fast in continuous shooting (up to 5 fps)
and one of VERY few still cameras that can take movies at full VGA (640x480)
AND do so at 30 frames per second, with audio. Funny that when Fuji
incorporates advanced iamge data handling built into the Super CCD, nobody
acknowledges the benefits. But let Canon announce it's Digic! chip, which
also enhances data handling (but separate from the CCD), and it's hailed as
the greatest advance ever! Oh well.......I know what I have......and I am
very satisfied. I have retired my Canon 35mm film camera and my darkrom!

Bill

news:(E-Mail Removed)...