Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Help with this picture...

Help with this picture...

Greg Campbell

Michael wrote:

> Damn, so in other words no matter what took this shot, it would have been
> almost impossible to get the sky just right and the appropriate shadows
> around the trees? I don't think the camera adjusts for certain areas on the
> sensor...maybe photo editing is necessary with some shots then....

To a point...
You can only adjust data that is actually there to begin with. I tried
to tweak the contrast curve of your picture, but there is no sky
contrast to stretch. It's nearly solid white.

See http://luminous-landscape.com/tutori...xposures.shtml
for a discussion of how to blend multiple exposures to capture a subject
that features very high dynamic range. More examples at:
http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/cg...e.pl?gallery=1
(Be sure to check his GIGApixel stitched image while you're there.)

In general, overcast skies are a real bugger, no matter what the media.
I scan 35mm slides and have (reluctantly) resorted to blatant sky
transplants to rescue overcast landscape pics.

-Greg