Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Blinding Flash?

Blinding Flash?

stacey

Mark B. wrote:

> "stacey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bs2gpj$929jp$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> CameraBoy wrote:
>>
>> > I have been trying to take self portraits with a Sony Sureshot. I want

>> > close up of my left eye. I have set the macro on and hold the camera,
>> > lens about 3 inches away pointing right into the centre of my eye but I
>> > instintively blink when the flash goes off and ruin the shot. It then
>> > takes
>> > me over half an hour or so to clear my vision.

>> I'd stop doing that..
>>
>> http://www.kellogg.umich.edu/conditi...ed_retina.html
>> --

> What's the connection? Nowhere does it say flashing a bright light
> (though I'm sure that can lead to other problems) is a cause of detached
> retina.

Sorry you're right it's macular degeneration and other types retinal damage
that is caused my this although I wouldn't be shocked if you could detach
your retina doing this repeatedly.
-------------
http://www.optometrists.asn.au/eyevision/consumers/uv

Age-related macular degeneration is the major cause of reduced vision in
Australia for people over the age of 55. Exposure to UV and intense
violet/blue visible radiation is damaging to retinal tissue in laboratory
experiments, thus scientists have speculated that chronic UV or violet/blue
light exposure may contribute to ageing processes in the retina.
----------------

Flash has lots of UV as does electric welding. Anything bright enough to
take 30 minutes to clear your vision is doing permanent damage to your
retina. So soon we will see instructions with every camera (maybe even a
warning sticker on the camera itself?) to not look directly into the flash
and fire the camera. Like the instructions that came with my new iron that
warned not to iron clothes while you are wearing them!

--

Stacey

FredBillie

<< From: "CameraBoy" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Date: Sat, Dec 20, 2003 12:52 PM

I have been trying to take self portraits with a Sony Sureshot. I want a
close up of my left eye. I have set the macro on and hold the camera, lens
about 3 inches away pointing right into the centre of my eye but I
instintively blink when the flash goes off and ruin the shot. It then takes
me over half an hour or so to clear my vision. I have tried using my left
eye whilst the right one clears but again, still blink, leaving me blind for
a good 30 minutes.

Does anybody know of a way I can get a good shot of my own eye without
blinking?
>><BR><BR>

This is easy. First, tape your upper eyelid to your forehead and your lower
eyelid to your cheek. Next, go to Kinkos, place your face on the color copy
machine and press “Copy”.

Uhm, your nose is not very long, is it? This might screw up this approach.

CameraBoy

Zeitgeist - thanks for that as well. The comment from Juan really racked me
off. Yes, I changed my ID, and yes, I was 'trolling' and sent this in only
as I was fed up of reading about MP comparison, foveon lenses, George bloody
Preddy, Nikon vs Oly vs Canon etc.

Everybody seems to have taken it in the humour intended (see FredBillie's
post) but for some reason Juan took offence. I wasn't being offencive, I
wasn't really intent on wasting peoples time, if the consensus of the group
is that the odd post that is not meant seriously is 'bad' then this is a sad
world we live in, or a sad bunch of people who subscribe to this group. I
don't intend to make a habit of it anyway, I've been here for a while and
this is the first 'stupid' post I've made.

All the best, CameraBoy

"zeitgeist" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> good call, but to tell the truth, this was the funniest post in ages (well

> put all the other trolls on my kill file)
> I sprayed beer all over the keyboard and monitor and have been laughing

MAO.
> seriously.
>
> thanks cameraboy, I needed that.
>

> > > I have been trying to take self portraits with a Sony Sureshot. I

want
> > > close up of my left eye. I have set the macro on and hold the camera,

> > lens
> > > about 3 inches away pointing right into the centre of my eye but I
> > > instintively blink when the flash goes off and ruin the shot. It then

> > takes
> > > me over half an hour or so to clear my vision. I have tried using my

> left
> > > eye whilst the right one clears but again, still blink, leaving me

blind
> > for
> > > a good 30 minutes.
> > >
> > > Does anybody know of a way I can get a good shot of my own eye without
> > > blinking?
> > >

> > Not very creative troll.
> >
> > If the lens is 3 in away from eye, the flash will be illuminating

forehead
> > or bridge of nose. You can always cover the right eye with your hand.
> >
> > The blink comes after the flash. The picture should have come out ok.
> >
> > It does not take 1/2 hour for vision to return unless you have a retinal
> > condition. The blindness should not last more than a minute.
> >
> > Try again, kid.
> >
> > Juan

Anthony Larkin

Hi,

People who practice Iridology which is a form of "Alternative" now known as
"Complementary" medicine use cameras to photograph the eyes close-up.
Obviously they use some safe system to take their photographs. And, of
course, hospitals need to do the same. Do a Google search on "Iridology",
then search for "Equipment". I feel your question is valid, don't be put off
by anyone................

Anthony

"Juan R. Pollo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:L02Fb.220522$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "CameraBoy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fR0Fb.596$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have been trying to take self portraits with a Sony Sureshot. I want

> > close up of my left eye. I have set the macro on and hold the camera,

> lens
> > about 3 inches away pointing right into the centre of my eye but I
> > instintively blink when the flash goes off and ruin the shot. It then

> takes
> > me over half an hour or so to clear my vision. I have tried using my

left
> > eye whilst the right one clears but again, still blink, leaving me blind

> for
> > a good 30 minutes.
> >
> > Does anybody know of a way I can get a good shot of my own eye without
> > blinking?
> >

> Not very creative troll.
>
> If the lens is 3 in away from eye, the flash will be illuminating forehead
> or bridge of nose. You can always cover the right eye with your hand.
>
> The blink comes after the flash. The picture should have come out ok.
>
> It does not take 1/2 hour for vision to return unless you have a retinal
> condition. The blindness should not last more than a minute.
>
> Try again, kid.
>
> Juan

?

This happened all the time to flash bulb testers years ago. Either your a
real dummy or a very uncreative troll. Why don't you jsut take a close look
at a copy machine. That should do it for you.

"CameraBoy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fR0Fb.596$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have been trying to take self portraits with a Sony Sureshot. I want a
> close up of my left eye. I have set the macro on and hold the camera,

lens
> about 3 inches away pointing right into the centre of my eye but I
> instintively blink when the flash goes off and ruin the shot. It then

takes
> me over half an hour or so to clear my vision. I have tried using my left
> eye whilst the right one clears but again, still blink, leaving me blind

for
> a good 30 minutes.
>
> Does anybody know of a way I can get a good shot of my own eye without
> blinking?

Bernard Saper

You shoyuld definitely, repeat definitely!, not fire the flash directly into
your eyes.

"Robert E. Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > CameraBoy wrote:

> > I have been trying to take self portraits with a Sony Sureshot. I want

> > close up of my left eye. I have set the macro on and hold the camera,

lens
> > about 3 inches away pointing right into the centre of my eye but I
> > instintively blink when the flash goes off and ruin the shot. It then

takes
> > me over half an hour or so to clear my vision. I have tried using my

left
> > eye whilst the right one clears but again, still blink, leaving me blind

for
> > a good 30 minutes.
> >
> > Does anybody know of a way I can get a good shot of my own eye without
> > blinking?

> Sounds like you are a candidate for a Darwin Award.

George Kerby

On 12/20/03 12:52 PM, in article
fR0Fb.596$(E-Mail Removed), "CameraBoy"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have been trying to take self portraits with a Sony Sureshot. I want a
> close up of my left eye. I have set the macro on and hold the camera, lens
> about 3 inches away pointing right into the centre of my eye but I
> instintively blink when the flash goes off and ruin the shot. It then takes
> me over half an hour or so to clear my vision. I have tried using my left
> eye whilst the right one clears but again, still blink, leaving me blind for
> a good 30 minutes.
>
> Does anybody know of a way I can get a good shot of my own eye without
> blinking?

What are you? A masochist!?! Damn, have you started seeing everything 'in
red' yet? Go to an eye doctor and have him/her photograph your retina (back
of the eyeball) with your eye dilated. Now THAT's a fun time. Oh Yeah!

Seriously, you got a self-timer? A friend?

George Kerby

On 12/20/03 2:10 PM, in article
L02Fb.220522$(E-Mail Removed), "Juan R. Pollo"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "CameraBoy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fR0Fb.596$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I have been trying to take self portraits with a Sony Sureshot. I want a
>> close up of my left eye. I have set the macro on and hold the camera,

> lens
>> about 3 inches away pointing right into the centre of my eye but I
>> instintively blink when the flash goes off and ruin the shot. It then

> takes
>> me over half an hour or so to clear my vision. I have tried using my left
>> eye whilst the right one clears but again, still blink, leaving me blind

> for
>> a good 30 minutes.
>>
>> Does anybody know of a way I can get a good shot of my own eye without
>> blinking?
>>

> Not very creative troll.
>
> If the lens is 3 in away from eye, the flash will be illuminating forehead
> or bridge of nose. You can always cover the right eye with your hand.
>
> The blink comes after the flash. The picture should have come out ok.
>
> It does not take 1/2 hour for vision to return unless you have a retinal
> condition. The blindness should not last more than a minute.
>
> Try again, kid.
>
> Juan

Damn, Juan, your too good at catching trolls!

George Kerby

On 12/21/03 8:21 AM, in article r%hFb.19212$(E-Mail Removed),
"Bernard Saper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You shoyuld definitely, repeat definitely!, not fire the flash directly into
> your eyes.

Your typing indicates that you might have not been practicing what you are
preaching here.

David Stubberfield

Try getting a spoon and take your eye out then it cant blink