Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Using EOS lenses with Digital Rebel

Using EOS lenses with Digital Rebel

Ron Correia

I'm considering the purchase of the Canon Digital Rebel. The camara will be
used for two primary purposes:

1) "Traditional" photography - landscapes, portraits, etc.
2) Digital Astrophotography attached to either a 10" or 8"
Schmidt-Cassegrain.

I currently have a Canon EOS 1N with a very good compliment of lenses. One
of the reasons I liked the Digital Rebel is the ability to use my existing
lenses with the Digital SLR. I was recently told by a reputable camera
dealer, however, that picture quality is somewhat diminished if you do this.
According to this dealer, using traditional film lenses on a digital camera
results in out-of-focus images along the edges of the picture. According to
him (and he claims to have gotten this right from Canon), light in a
traditional lens does not hit the CCD or CMOS sensors at a right angle,
causing the out-of-focus problem in the digital camera.

Has anyone experienced this? Are folks using their existing EOS lenses with
Canon SLR cameras such as the Rebel without compromising the results? I'd
prefer to hear from first-hand experience rather than relying on a salesman
that also sells lenses.

Thanks in advance. Any advice would be appreciated.

-- Ron

Don Coon

"Ron Correia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I'm considering the purchase of the Canon Digital Rebel. The camara will

be
> used for two primary purposes:
>
> 1) "Traditional" photography - landscapes, portraits, etc.
> 2) Digital Astrophotography attached to either a 10" or 8"
> Schmidt-Cassegrain.
>
> I currently have a Canon EOS 1N with a very good compliment of lenses.

One
> of the reasons I liked the Digital Rebel is the ability to use my existing
> lenses with the Digital SLR. I was recently told by a reputable camera
> dealer, however, that picture quality is somewhat diminished if you do

this.
> According to this dealer, using traditional film lenses on a digital

camera
> results in out-of-focus images along the edges of the picture. According

> him (and he claims to have gotten this right from Canon), light in a
> traditional lens does not hit the CCD or CMOS sensors at a right angle,
> causing the out-of-focus problem in the digital camera.
>
> Has anyone experienced this? Are folks using their existing EOS lenses

with
> Canon SLR cameras such as the Rebel without compromising the results? I'd
> prefer to hear from first-hand experience rather than relying on a

salesman
> that also sells lenses.
>
> Thanks in advance. Any advice would be appreciated.

I've heard exactly the opposite. The center of a lens is sharper than the
edges. Lens tests typically show a softening toward the edges. Since a
10D/D30/D60/300D uses only the center 45%* of the a full 35mm frame, I'd
expect better performance.

* 373 sq mm / 852 sq mm

RacerX

I think he needs to try a test because ive found with mine that the
traditional lenses work just fine sometimes even better.

cc

I wasn't aware that there are any lenses that are made specifically for
digital SLRs. If this really was a "reputable" dealer, are you sure you
understood him correctly?

Ron Correia wrote:
> I'm considering the purchase of the Canon Digital Rebel. The camara will be
> used for two primary purposes:
>
> 1) "Traditional" photography - landscapes, portraits, etc.
> 2) Digital Astrophotography attached to either a 10" or 8"
> Schmidt-Cassegrain.
>
> I currently have a Canon EOS 1N with a very good compliment of lenses. One
> of the reasons I liked the Digital Rebel is the ability to use my existing
> lenses with the Digital SLR. I was recently told by a reputable camera
> dealer, however, that picture quality is somewhat diminished if you do this.
> According to this dealer, using traditional film lenses on a digital camera
> results in out-of-focus images along the edges of the picture. According to
> him (and he claims to have gotten this right from Canon), light in a
> traditional lens does not hit the CCD or CMOS sensors at a right angle,
> causing the out-of-focus problem in the digital camera.
>
> Has anyone experienced this? Are folks using their existing EOS lenses with
> Canon SLR cameras such as the Rebel without compromising the results? I'd
> prefer to hear from first-hand experience rather than relying on a salesman
> that also sells lenses.
>
> Thanks in advance. Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> -- Ron
> (E-Mail Removed)

Mark B.

You need to find a different dealer. My Canon EF lenses work fine on my D30
and 10D.

Mark

"Ron Correia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I'm considering the purchase of the Canon Digital Rebel. The camara will

be
> used for two primary purposes:
>
> 1) "Traditional" photography - landscapes, portraits, etc.
> 2) Digital Astrophotography attached to either a 10" or 8"
> Schmidt-Cassegrain.
>
> I currently have a Canon EOS 1N with a very good compliment of lenses.

One
> of the reasons I liked the Digital Rebel is the ability to use my existing
> lenses with the Digital SLR. I was recently told by a reputable camera
> dealer, however, that picture quality is somewhat diminished if you do

this.
> According to this dealer, using traditional film lenses on a digital

camera
> results in out-of-focus images along the edges of the picture. According

> him (and he claims to have gotten this right from Canon), light in a
> traditional lens does not hit the CCD or CMOS sensors at a right angle,
> causing the out-of-focus problem in the digital camera.
>
> Has anyone experienced this? Are folks using their existing EOS lenses

with
> Canon SLR cameras such as the Rebel without compromising the results? I'd
> prefer to hear from first-hand experience rather than relying on a

salesman
> that also sells lenses.
>
> Thanks in advance. Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> -- Ron
> (E-Mail Removed)

Jim Townsend

Ron Correia wrote:

> According to this dealer, using traditional film lenses on a digital camera
> results in out-of-focus images along the edges of the picture. According to
> him (and he claims to have gotten this right from Canon), light in a
> traditional lens does not hit the CCD or CMOS sensors at a right angle,
> causing the out-of-focus problem in the digital camera.

The edges of the picture aren't out of focus.. They just aren't there

A traditional 35mm SLR lens casts an image that fills a 35mm film plane. Since
the Digital Rebel's sensor is smaller than a full frame of 35mm film, a
portion of the focused image created by the traditional 35mm camera lens lens
will fall outside the sensor's area. In other words, the focused image cast
by the lens is cropped.

As a result of the cropping, the field of view is reduced. To determine this
crop factor, a multiplier of 1.6 is used. For example, a 100mm lens on the
Rebel will provide the same field of view as a 160mm lens on a 35mm film
camera.

This is bad if you're in to shooting wide angle.. If your widest lens is 16mm,
then the best it can do on the rebel is provide the same field of view of a
25mm lens. You'd need a 10mm lens to get back what you've lost.

Other than this 'crop effect', focus and all the other 'camera' stuff remains
the same. The 300D takes very good pictures.

dslr

RacerX wrote:

> I think he needs to try a test because ive found with mine that the
> traditional lenses work just fine sometimes even better.

I think he need to try a training course in basic optics - if the light
doesn't hit a digital sensor at 90 degrees near the edge, it's going to
be even worse on a larger film frame

However, his statement may be based on a half-remembered titbit - if the
incidence angle is too great, then the amount of light that penetrates
the sensor can be reduced. However, all that would produce is a similar
effect to vignetting (light fall-off at the edges), and not any increase
in image softness.

It could be that he has no concept of the need for good post-processing
- in all the previous D-SLRs Canon made the decision (rightly IMO) to
leave most of the final image sharpening to the photographer, not the
design programmer. Images straight out of the camera can appear soft,
just needing a suitable degree of sharpening. I think that the 300D has
got more in-camera sharpening designed in than the D30/D60/10D had/ave,
but still not to the degree of many P&S digicams.

It could also be that he is short against his L-lens sales targets

--
regards,
dslr

Steve m...

I uploaded two low resolution xmas tree pictures to check out. I used the
EF 75-300 lens on my DRebel as an example. The other pictures on the first
two pages were taken with the standard Rebel lens. Just some pictures of
us getting our xmas tree. And some food pictures (close ups) taken at my
sisters xmas party.

www.msnusers.com/stevespictures
They are on page 3.

Steve m...

"Ron Correia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I'm considering the purchase of the Canon Digital Rebel. The camara will

be
> used for two primary purposes:
>
> 1) "Traditional" photography - landscapes, portraits, etc.
> 2) Digital Astrophotography attached to either a 10" or 8"
> Schmidt-Cassegrain.
>
> I currently have a Canon EOS 1N with a very good compliment of lenses.

One
> of the reasons I liked the Digital Rebel is the ability to use my existing
> lenses with the Digital SLR. I was recently told by a reputable camera
> dealer, however, that picture quality is somewhat diminished if you do

this.
> According to this dealer, using traditional film lenses on a digital

camera
> results in out-of-focus images along the edges of the picture. According

> him (and he claims to have gotten this right from Canon), light in a
> traditional lens does not hit the CCD or CMOS sensors at a right angle,
> causing the out-of-focus problem in the digital camera.
>
> Has anyone experienced this? Are folks using their existing EOS lenses

with
> Canon SLR cameras such as the Rebel without compromising the results? I'd
> prefer to hear from first-hand experience rather than relying on a

salesman
> that also sells lenses.
>
> Thanks in advance. Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> -- Ron
> (E-Mail Removed)

Phil, Squid-in-Training

> > According to this dealer, using traditional film lenses on a digital
camera
> > results in out-of-focus images along the edges of the picture.

According to
> > him (and he claims to have gotten this right from Canon), light in a
> > traditional lens does not hit the CCD or CMOS sensors at a right angle,
> > causing the out-of-focus problem in the digital camera.

> The edges of the picture aren't out of focus.. They just aren't there

<snip unrelated material>

This has nothing to do with what the poster was claiming.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil, Squid-in-Training

"cc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I wasn't aware that there are any lenses that are made specifically for
> digital SLRs. If this really was a "reputable" dealer, are you sure you

There are. The kit lens for the Digital Rebel is digital-only, because it
will hit the mirror in a film SLR.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training