Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Are my batteries full?

Are my batteries full?

Dave Cohen

It's not a big deal, I got 350 shots from a set of batteries over a 3 week
period. Same set gave me around 200 shots over a 9 week period. I carry a
spare set and I would top off the spare set after sitting around for 9
weeks, but who really cares whether it's 200 or 300 or even 120, just carry
spares. Heck, with film the most you get is 24 or 36 shots before you have
to open up the camera. Be careful with the smart charger, give the batteries
some time to discharge before trying to top off, the switch to trickle
charge relies on a voltage change when batteries come up to full charge.
Putting cells back in charger when they are fully charged tricks my charger
into charging at full and cells can get warm. Maybe the higher priced units
don't do this.
Dave Cohen

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> HRosita wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > If I am going to take the camera to take pictures, I will charge 2 sets

of
> > batteries the night before, replace the set that is in the camera in the
> > morning and take the other charged set with me. The set that I just took

out of
> > the camera I put in the charger so they would be ready.
> >
> > I find that batteries discharge even when not in use so I always want a

freshly
> > charged set in my camera.
> > The new chargers are very fast (1 hour or less for AA) so I can even do

it in